Need Friendly Advice Befor I Go Faction.

5 replies to this topic

#1 HatedOne

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:46 AM

Hello everyone.
I am 4 weeks new to MWO but played MW 15 years ago in mechwarrior leagues mostly with Venomous and Brisance. Now im back playing my fav game of all time. (Disappointed the value of everything is double of what im willing to pay) .

I have a few questions I am hoping a few friendly people might be able to give some advice on. I really don't know how the faction works in details but have a basic idea.

Q1 Is this game still alive enough to dedicate time to?
Q2 Can you play Faction with a min of real money spent? ( I would spend a lot more money in long run on this game if everything wasn't so over priced. I don't want to throw money at the monitor when I feel like I'm being screwed. I understand game value is different for everyone. I'm going by what my game value is to this game. These are insane values )

Q3 What do I need before faction play? I have been trying to gather 1 mech in every class for IS and Clan. Don't understand fully how faction play works yet either.
Q4 Best way to find a unit?

its good to be back in action.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

Q1. Tough to answer. Lot of negativity to be found and a lot who deny that there is anything wrong with CW. I stopped playing (for the most part) after P3 dropped because I think the long tom is utterly stupid and the unit tax is beyond so.

Q2. Yes. There are several very good players who refuse to spend real money on the game. That said getting free mech bays is not as easy as it used to be, and so you may want to consider spending real money at least in that regard.

Q3. 1 mech in every class...does that mean you have 3 variants of each of those mechs mastered? Either way, many consider it a bare minimum necessity to have any mech you bring to CW elited if not mastered. Many also will tell you that all mechs in your deck need appropriate modules (radar dep, seismic, etc.). Lastly, while it is possible to play with a single deck for all maps, many folks run unique decks depending on the map (hot or cold, etc.) and the mode (attack or defense).

Q4. Explore the forums individual faction rooms and the merc rooms as well. Most factions have one or more TS hubs as well. For the FRR see the following thread http://mwomercs.com/...hub-ts-server/.

Edited by Bud Crue, 25 July 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#3 HatedOne

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Sounds like I'm going to have to farm quick play for a year or more just to buy all the mechs/gear needed.

Edited by HatedOne, 25 July 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#4 wikifido

• Pip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

You can definitely get involved in CW via the way of Scouting if you don't quite have everything you need for a full drop deck.

Farming quick play is definitely the easiest way to master/elite mechs. I jut recently got involved in a CW unit, but I am still just working up everything I need to have a full drop deck. I've been playing for 2 months and have spent cash on the game.

#5 HatedOne

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

Yeah , I picked up the med pack with hunchy and stormcrow S mechs. both are great. I got them to help with cbills, plus it came with a 30 day boost. Not sure if I will spend anymore money though. I could have spent couple hundred on this game . So excited I was to play MechWarrior again. Then the more I study the cost = value and how every aspect of the money system is set to screw the customer over. The more I realize its not worth it. Phone app success with the free games with the in app purchase have folded over to console and PC. Its a smart business system though , I give it to them. It preys on people that have addicting and gambling tendencies and works well on most of us. Im all ok with paying for good content, and want good game makers to make good money, it is a business and they're not going to make games for free. But this system in action says they feel their game is worth around $1000. Havent seen a game worth that yet

#6 AtomCore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 274 posts
  • LocationDPR, Donetsk

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

Q1 50/50
Q2 you can play for free
Q3 you need basic skill to use weapons. There are 4 basic range groups (snipe-ranged, clan-laserboat, is-laserboat, close combat) and 2 additionals types (ultra builds and combo-builds). It takes 1-3 month to learn 1 type.
Of course shooting is just the basic skill itself. As a new player - dont try to own other skills (as tactic) at once - it will just speed you down.

As for mechs - trial versions are playable for FP. Full shot setup of mechs (without modules) for all FP maps will cost:
for clans 170 million CB
for IS 330 million CB
+ modules 180 million CB
Skilled players with prem time farm up to 3 milllion CB per hour. So every second day you they can buy and arm a new mech. Full build costs 14-17 millon CB average. (and +18 millions for set of modules)

Q4 Best way to find a unit? - Play FP! Alive units are there. Forum contents necro units.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users