10 replies to this topic

#1 Aftermath

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

So I played back in the beta and the game was rough to say the least. Now, wow I'm just impressed with everything I see. Aside from the "Ooooo's and Ahhh's" I wanted to know what are some must reads that can help me with such as...
Getting a better understanding of Mechlab and building a custom load out that works *IE long range engagement, close brawling, mid range support
Understanding Faction play and how to get involved? Is this a higher level of play over Quick play or a standard match?
Are there any recommended Mechs a new player should own? I have the original Founders pack Jenner, Catapult, Hunchback, Atlas. I picked up the Warhammer bundle and a Timber wolf (just a single mech), and a single Raven (I want to Go FAST, Ricky bobby you're either first or last)

Coming back I have jumped right into the Heavy role and I feel really comfortable here vs trying to play a Assault or something.

See ya in game!

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

For starters:

Do the academy. All of it.

It would appear that you have not completed your initial 25 matches yet. Do this and play around with trials so you get a feel for the different mechs, the influence of quirks and just get a feel for the game play and how it may or may not have changed (depending on when you last played things like Jump Jets, ECM, PPCs and even missles may perform very differently than what you remember).

Stay away from FP or at least stay away until you read up on it and know what you are getting into.

#3 Aftermath

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

Oh completely forgot should I be taking advantage of the 30% credit boost of the founder mechs I own?

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Metamechs.com

#5 Pak Hammond

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTrying to run on a connection that has to cross oceans

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Run your founders to grab those bonuses. It will also give you a feel for gameplay.

Edited by pakman61, 25 July 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostAftermath, on 25 July 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

Oh completely forgot should I be taking advantage of the 30% credit boost of the founder mechs I own?

You can, you can also try out the various trial'mechs (we got different mechs, omni and clan battle'mechs now).
first 25 matches will give you cadet bonus, the tutorial will give you a couple of millions more, enough to kit out your mechs or buy 2-3 new mechs.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostAftermath, on 25 July 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I wanted to know what are some must reads that can help me with such as...
Getting a better understanding of Mechlab and building a custom load out that works *IE long range engagement, close brawling, mid range support
I offer my thoughts on mechbuilding, post one.

Understanding Faction play and how to get involved? Is this a higher level of play over Quick play or a standard match?
So, team work is overpowered. In normal matches, people 'understand' this, but they don't often practice it. In Community Warfare you'll usually find units or even pug groups actually putting it into practice, and the matches can be pretty one-sided. That said, I believe there's no better training than in the school of hard knocks, and when two actual 'teams' meet, it can be glorious.

Are there any recommended Mechs a new player should own?
Those you shall enjoy. Seriouslly, everyone's different. Decide if you like lasers or missles, or ballistics, or a bit of each, an if you prefer speed over armour, or close range knifefights over long range pokefests.

Then come on back, an we'll do our best to suggest a likely mech.

~Leone.

#8 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 25 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

Hi I came back about 2 weeks ago as well and just played lots of games. Nothing's much changed. Teamwork is still OP. Position and focus firing is paramount.

QP is pretty quiet and laidback on comms. Still it seems to work out. Haven't touched FP yet.

Mechs wise, anything you can fit mass ballistics on is pretty much easy to play. Dakka dakka.

#9 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:30 AM

Welcome Back

#10 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

I would say try to get an understanding of the current combat meta (IE it's incredibly laser heavy right now and focused on alpha strikes), but also be aware that the firing system is also about to get overhauled to help balance things out because of how over prevalent energy weapons have become.

Also stay away from faction play until you have a stable of 4 mechs that are elited before jumping into it. Faction play is very unforgiving to the unprepared.

Also LRM's are not as bad as everyone likes to make them out to be, but they require a lot more skill than most other weapon systems to get really good with.

Also learn to torso twist when taking fire to help spread the damage and keep your mech in the game for longer, and try to stay close to cover. Also keep an eye in the sky for enemy UAV's, they have gotten pretty prevalent nowadays.

Dont be afraid to use the in game voip communications to speak to your team, but dont chat all day long.

Edited by Fobhopper, 26 July 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#11 Aftermath

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I have found simply just sticking with the Mad Cat and learning my role I'm doing a bit better. I still haven't gotten in to the guts of ripping out equipment and replacing it with other fits. But I'll get there.

Glad to be back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users