Recommended Medium Or Light Mechs

14 replies to this topic

#1 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

I'm a returning pilot with a 10 million C-Bill bank to spare.

I enjoy my Ebon Jag variant as a mid-range medium laser and UAC-20 brawler. My other favorite mech is my Shadowcat; it can do a lot of support damage, hit and run, and ECM coverage or scouting.

With these two mechs in mind, do you have any recommendations for light or medium mechs scout or short-range brawling mechs that would compliment my small hangar?

Note: I would prefer Clan mechs, but I'm not stingy about Inner-Sphere.

Edited by Yiryi-Sa, 25 July 2016 - 02:03 PM.

#2 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:06 PM

6 x sl, ECM
ACH-C

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Stormcrow can run a uac20 and a few medium lasers. Personally I prefer the Nova for brawing, but then I go full bore, close range knife fighting with small lasers, flamers, machine guns, etc...

Now, if we're planning on branching out to Is mechs, well, we've tonnes of options. Wolverines, Shadowhawks, Hunchbacks, Centurions, Griffins, or so I hear, Locusts, Firestarters. Yeah, Inner sphere mechs were meant to brawl.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 26 July 2016 - 05:07 PM.

#4 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

I'm of the opinion most clan mediums make for poor brawlers compared to their IS counterparts. Lights have the balance reversed, and while I wouldn't call either one a brawler, both the ACH and Jenner IIC have enormous amounts of firepower for their size. My Jenny runs hex SRM6, and can kill even an atlas in two alphas from the rear. (hurrah for "fear turkey!")

If your not to leery about IS, the Hunchy SP is absurdly resilient to enemy fire and is one of the best, if not the best, brawler currently in game. The double structure does it a world of favors.

The Griffin-2N is a really good platform, with four SRM 6s, ECM, and JJs, but it's more of a striker than a brawler.

All of the aforementioned mechs become terrifying when you have buddies running them too.

#5 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

Nova is a good, fast brawler. Multiple small lasers or a mix of small lasers and small pulse can dish out a lot of short range pain. It can also double up as a PPC poptart if you like that sort of thing. Nova is pretty good in scouting (brawler build) if you want to do that, and is overall just a good mech.

And like someone else mentioned--Arctic Cheetah, one of the best lights in the game right now.

#6 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:33 AM

These are all great tips. Thank you. I have to go do research on these mechs.

The Nova and Wolverine interest me the most at the moment.

#7 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

If you're willing to wait a little while, the Wolverine 7D will be coming soon. While it is a bit hardpoint starved, it is currently the only IS mech that can run MASC, making it surprisingly mobile. I don't have one, but if I did I would probably run this build on it.

WVR-7D

#8 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostSirSoggyDog, on 28 July 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

The Griffin-2N is a really good platform, with four SRM 6s, ECM, and JJs, but it's more of a striker than a brawler.

It's really fun with 4 x Artemis SRM-4s and a pair of medium lasers. The torso twist is insane, plus a top speed of over 80 kph easily and a 38+ jump distance...ECM...yummy.

#9 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

I've undergone a growth in playstyle. My Ebon Jaguar build was too reliant on brawling with a cUAC/20. It's now more in line with my Shadow Cat build; both builds rely on a primary array of lasers. I like to pair the lasers with SRMs or, in the case of the EBJ build, UAC/10 or a Gauss Rifle. Thus, I'm taking a closer look at the Griffin and Centurion. Anyone have specific tips, tricks or experiences with these chassis?

#10 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

Centurion is a great one. You've a large shield arm for blocking, and makes twisting a great an useful skill to have. Dunno bout the griffins though. they seem to make great Srm brawlers.

~Leone.

#11 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

For IS, the Enforcer is an underrated medium that is well suited for short to mid range brawls and skirmishes, depending on the variant.

For Clans, if you want something closer to the Ebon Jag, Stormcrows are a good choice, as they're on the slower but more heavily armed end of the medium mech spectrum. If you want something like the Shadow Cat, wait for the Viper to be released for cbills. For something in between, and possibly the most fun and versatile, go with Hunchback IICs.

#12 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:26 PM

If you want a mech that will simply not die try the Crab. It is the toughest medium in the game, has a good amount of energy hardpoints, and can go pretty damn fast for an IS mech. Just don't go XL. It is like the medium version of the Marauder/Stalker.

#13 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Has anyone ever tried Kintaros as aa SRM brawler? They look fun with a maxed out XL engine and SRMs.

Edited by Yiryi-Sa, 12 September 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#14 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've picked up a Shadow Cat A (again); it was an old mastered variant until I needed extra mech bays. I've turned it into a nasty SRM6+A brawler.

Aside from the SHC, I've branched out the Centurions and Shadow Hawks. I am really dedicated to using them as primary platforms. The CN9-D is my favourite; I love brawling with LB 10-Xs.

As a result, I've turned my Mad Dog into a LB 20-X brawler.

I'm currently mastering through Shadow Hawks, and I really enjoy their versatility. I'm currently in the top 50 in Season 6 for Kills with a medium mech. Thanks for enhancing my fun factor.

#15 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

YEN LO WANG!

Classic AC20 and 2ML Posted Image

Though Centurion is not easy because you need to be able to do the torso-twist properly to spread the damage equally to all body parts but HES FUN!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users