Question

7 replies to this topic

#1 Defibrillateyou

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Any one try this? looking at a surface pro 4 to replace my iPad with an i5 and 4-8gb of ram

Thanks

#2 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Short answer: no. Posted Image

Long answer: Because such small compact devices are inherently not at all good at dissipating heat, all components including the CPU and GPU have to be very power efficient. The i5-6300U in the Surface Pro 4 has a TDP of 15 watt, which includes the build in GPU, severely limiting the amount of processing power it'll have. Yes, it does have very good per-watt performance but that's still nowhere near that of a desktop CPU/GPU's performance.

MWO needs a proper desktop CPU and a dedicated GPU to run half decently. Posted Image

Edited by Zoeff, 25 July 2016 - 04:54 PM.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

I looked at benchmarks for Crysis and Crysis 2. Looks like it gets 25 - 30 fps with everthing either turned off or set to low. It'll also run hot, which isn't great for the a tablet in the long run. So it looks like it would run it but it would be borderline unplayabe. Check out some of the benmarks if you like, but I would not recommend it.

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

Unfortunately PGI is made up of mostly graphic designers, not programmers.
As it stands, their code is on the sloppy side and unduly taxes your hardware. It also seems to get worse with every patch.

#5 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Expect 20 frames per second on absolute minimum settings at 1920x1080.

#6 Defibrillateyou

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

I got a surface pro 4 I5 with 4gb of ram, and at low settings in windowed mode. I Think it is quite playable, and the unit does not get very hot but definatly warm to the touch on the back.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

i7 version has i7-6650U. That's pretty good dual core, should be sufficient for this game. The i5 version i5-6300U is also fairly good. Their nominal speeds are pretty good in beachmarks but in actual gaming less, because as the heat builds up they are able to use their very high turbo boost much less.

The top i7 model has Intel Iris Graphics 540. That's fairly weak for any 3D gaming. The Intel HD Graphics 520 from i5 model is obviously weaker.

Because it's clearly limited by GPU it could be playable, specially when lowering both details and resolution. I'm not familiar with tablets, if they can run on lower graphics resolution or not, laptops always can but tablets might be different. Dropping the resolution is nearly a must for such a weak GPU.

#8 Gray5tone

Rookie

• The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

I own a SP4 and have MWO installed on it, and it does fine. I definitely prefer my i7 Dell with a dedicated Intel card at home, but when I'm travelling it works. Obviously everything is turned down and set to Low.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users