Teir 5 Quickplay

Guide

10 replies to this topic

#1 Ackurus

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

Edit: Added a what to do as the biggest 'Mech around on your team in a poke fight.

Hi All,

I've been playing for a little while in tier 5, getting towards the high end, and wanted to give tips to new players and deposit what I've observed and figured out along the way before I move up to the next tier, and while my expectations from being completely new are still in my head. I hoping this will turn into a collaborative work also. This guide is focused on assisting new players with the patterns I see in tier 5 quickplay games that was difficult for me to notice at first. For the purposes of this guide I'm going to focus on helping your team win, and advancing your tier position over making as many C-bills as possible (but they usually come anyway).

I decided to get back into gaming at all because I saw a great MWO video almost a year ago where a team was holding the middle of the down slope of a crater. It was very well organized with the lance commander asking about the top speed of scouts, and calmly keeping the lance in check from their urge to chase a light 'Mech that came through. The whole beginning of the match was just the team collecting information on their enemy, and staying in the best position they could be in. When the fight happened focus fire really took over, and while the opposing team had two Atlases, the organized team managed to bring them down without taking any noticable losses. I was really impressed.

Teir 5 Quickplay isn't like that, or about that. The strategy isn't organized top down, but is instead the sum of the collective habits of the people in the game. Teir 5 quickplay players are extremely loss and risk averse, and will lead into an all out push when the odds start getting at or better than two to one. This doesn't mean they're all unorganized, and by random luck you might be able to get on a team that's moving lock step with the program of a commander. It's worth it to send chirps out to see if your team will organize. Something to watch out for in creating some kind of organization in teir 5 quickplay is several of your teammates may simply not have a strategic mindset, and not know what you're getting at. I once came across a team that was interested in organization for Frozen City. I predicted and lead them to counter an enemy flanking attack, but Alpha lance arrived first. When we had set up behind the downed and bifurcated dropship I instructed them to fall back and join us while we annihilate them as they try to simply get a shot on us. They continued to fight however, until the last one was dead. It became apparent that they knew some of them would die while they retreated, so they tried to do all the damage they could before going out. Because of this we were outnumbered. Someone in a Maurader positioned themselves inside of the only choke point, ensuring they would be able to shoot any enemies who show up, but also be the single target of all the enemies who showed up. Also, they were sitting in the spot I was hoping at least one enemy would try to pass through.

If you're really interested in teamwork, use Faction Play scouting missions. You'll regularly find target calling and competent leadership in those matches. I would finish your cadet awards, and then go into faction gameplay. Only play scouting missions for a while. Also, choose 55 tons, the trial 'Mechs often do the job. If you are new, at the beginning of every match, open your map (usually the 'B') key to become familiar with where you start. For me, remembering where I started, and then seeing my surroundings really helped me to be aware of my current position on the map after playing a while.

So, now that I've gone over how tier 5 quickplay isn't team centric, I'd like to go over what you can do to help your team. Also, if you're looking to advance in tier, you will not slide back, and you may move ahead if you produce a sufficient score for the match if your team wins. If you lose, it is very difficult to not slide down.

Tier 5 quickplay is dominated by poke fighting. This is where a 'Mech comes out of cover briefly, does as much damage as they can, and goes back into cover. This type of fighting almost exclusively happens at ranges over 400 meters, and requires expelling all the damage you'll do over the course of 2-3 seconds. This is something I've only seen lasers and gauss rifle accomplish effectively. The longer ranged autocannons and LRMs rely on being able to deal continuous damage over time. They are very good supporting weapons in the right hands, and I'll go into LRMs later. Your 'Mech does not need to be heat efficient, and it's almost a sign that your 'Mech is ideal for poke fighting if it has a very poor heat efficiency rating.

I recommend starting out with something light, the Locus's ability to avoid being hit is almost comical, and double heat sinks are a huge boost in smaller 'Mechs. It will teach you the value of always staying in motion, and will feel familiar if you're used to run-and-gun FPS games. The champion Locust is a decent build, and the 'Mech is inexpensive to customize. It is a good starter 'Mech, and it's the hardest to handle 'Mech I've come across. It turns very jerkily and quickly, so if you want to circle someone until they kill you, you'll instead need to run in a square or rectangle around them, using the time while you're not turning to line up your crosshairs and put some damage into them.

Armor rolling will be useless to you're in a Locust, but if you get into a medium 'Mech it can double or triple your lifespan. When you're being shot by lasers, or LRM volleys (especially clan lasers which have a longer burn duration) you can keep your limbs and weapons almost twice as long by twisting your torso to spread the incoming damage.

Armor sharing is the act of one 'Mech taking a shot so a teammate doesn't have to. If you're new, and in a lighter 'Mech, there's a time and a place to do it, and it's almost all on you to keep your heavier 'Meched teammate alive a little longer. Your damage output is valuable, and your heavier teammate can survive absorbing more damage then you. But, if your teammate is maimed or killed, your entire team is down a large damage output pool. Turning your sights on a teammate will show you their health percentage. Even on an assault 'Mech, it's possible to be stripped of all your armor on a side torso with 94% health. If you've noticed that a heavier 'Mech than you has taken well placed laser fire that has not been spread with armor rolling, than it's time for you to shine. Step in and try to do as much damage as you can before your heavier friend pops out. The goal will be to provoke the primary attacker into unloading damage into you instead. This will allow your bigger badder buddy can come out and hit them hard, and live long enough to do it one more time. If you're in a lighter 'Mech, I recommend doing this after letting the bigger ones take some hits for a while. If you are hit in a lighter 'Mech, you will have reduced damage output after absorbing less damage than it would have taken to maim your heavier teammates.

If you've gotten good enough to last until the end of the match, you'll notice that's when pushing is more likely to happen. High alpha, high heat 'Mech's are ideal for poke fighting because you spend your cooldown time in the safety of cover, and you cannot fire on your enemy until they come out. High alpha + long range = domination of poke fighting. When pushing starts the game turns into a brawl. A high alpha will only briefly help you in a situation like this, and my recommendation is to set aside some damage dealing for a shorter range, heat neutral weapon group. You'll be able to start the push with your higher alpha, and then sustain a greater damage output throughout the push. Watch out for the push running out of momentum when your teammates max out their heat, they'll run for cover and if you're the last one out, you'll become a juicy target in less than a second.

If you happen to be the heaviest 'Mech in your local fight on your team, than victory of that local fight may be exclusively on your shoulders. This is also the same strategy I would recommend for poke fighting solo. First, you want to use your cover to keep yourself into a long range fight with at most only a single 'Mech firing on you, unless your teammates are helping you the same way your enemy's teammates are helping them, your team will essentially take a loss in total armor in the long run, even if you win that fight. Choose an opponent that has a worse damage to armor ratio than you. If you're up against something with more armor, but weaker weapons for the situation than you, that weakened damage output on their side needs to be enough to justify having to carve through them. Since you are the heaviest in this situation, you should be the primary target until you are at risk of dying or dropping a weapon. If there are local enemies engaging one of your lighter teammate, you should do all you can to pull them off your more fragile ally without exposing yourself so much that you cannot get back to cover on demand. Your increased damage output is very important to your team, so it's mostly your job to stay alive, and attack frequently when it's smart to do so.

If you're in an open map, NARC is a lot of fun to have during the poke phase. If someone is dominating, put a NARC into them and watch them stay in cover. Half the time you will have at least one LRM boat on the team, and you can sit back and watch them get turned into scrap in 30 seconds. On the other hand, you should be with your own forces when you NARC somebody. If you scout ahead to NARC you will be picked off quickly, and the travel time on the LRMs will reduce the odds of success. It is a lot of fun. I've made troll builds with 5 NARC launchers, and I've been surprised by how well my side performs on the poke fight just by being able to know where more of the enemy forces are for a longer duration.

LRMs are great for situations where you can't get a line of sight on the target because your teammates are sitting in front of you, absorbing damage, and dealing all of it. You can also bring NARC, which will help you slightly, but not much in a standard poke fight. The only 'Mechs that usually get into brawls early game are the lighter members of Alpha lance. They will usually hold their target for 10+ seconds. If you can stay within 500 meters of them, you have a good change of being able to scare off or kill the other lights they inevitably run into at the start. Other than that, if you're relying on LRMs for your damage output during a poke fight, good luck. LRM's incoming missile alert has a great ability to have your enemy running for cover and reducing the amount of damage your team has to absorb for a brief moment, but it also reduces the amount of damage output options available for your team. It's something to consider when choosing targets.

If you're going to do some cheesy brawler build, ECM helps a lot, adding flamers is hilarious. I once dropped two Direwolf's and a Warhawk over about 1 minute in a Mauler that was geared out for short range only + some flamers. Of course, I had to wedge myself into a forward cover position, and wait/hope my team died enough to trigger a push from the opposing team. It was a lot of fun, but I didn't want to keep it up because of the high risk of either not being able to contribute to the game, or my team taking a loss because I sat around in my assault 'Mech waiting for my great moment.

If you're being LRMed like crazy from behind cover, try turning your 'Mech off and on again, that fixes most technical issues in life.

Edited by David Koolhoven, 26 July 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:38 PM

I love tier 4/5.
Anything goes and ecm means you are almost 100% invisible.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Some great information there but I would not generaly recommend a Light Mech for your first, yes the Locust can avoid damage but 1 mistake or an enemy who is a good shot and your Mech is dead or crippled. I would advise a Medium or Heavy Mech first, and when you are confidant with the basics then take a Light Mech, also not everyone can be good in a light Mech, and some people (myself included) have trouble with assaults.

To climb in tier you need match score, in a win the score requirements are much lower to go up and you cannot go down, on a loss you can go down and requires a fairly high score to go up, half of damage seems to get added to score and activities which help the team add to score, non the less damage does seem to usualy make up the bulk of score

If you are after climbing the tiers avoid Lights, a Light Mech can be great at working with the team, good at helping you win and tends to, in my opinion, be the most fun weight class but is usually the worst choice for doing lots of damage.
a Medium or Heavy will be more survivable, deal more damage, can work well with the rest of the team and do far more damage than a Light.
Assualts are not great because in most cases they are slow enough that the rest of the team needs to work with you rather than you working with the team however they do have the highest damage potential

In T5 you will come up against veteran players at times (a match can include players from upto 3 adjacent tiers so you could be up against t3 players) and some times people will try to take command, if someone does take command try to work with him/her as the team working together is worth more than any 3 Mechs

If you try to take command and the team is ignoring you do not take it persionaly, in the heat of battle people will often miss text chat messages and some peiple have text chat and VOIP disabled, while I run with all comunication methiods open I have several times concidered looking for a way to disable command wheel vocals when someone says enemy spotted for the twentyth time in a minute because a single light Mech pokes out of cover

#4 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:55 AM

One of my experiences. I first played mainly with Nova, medium, for about 150 games. Though my first own mech was Locust. I did not much play with is as I could not really do anything.

Some games with trial heavies and assults, whenever there was some that had nice weapons. But mostly I played with Nova. I found it difficult to do well with Nova, doing damage or anything else to win.

Then, now in summer and with sales, I bought two Mad Dog heavies, I made one full LRM build with nothing else, and the other has quite a lot of SRM6 plus I recall 5 medium ER lasers. With other I have about 170 games, with other little over 100. With the LRM build I make more damage, but with SRM build I win more. I find both OK.

Now the thing is, after I started playing with them, I quickly raised into tier 4. I did not even see the bar, under the tier rating, to increase, all of a sudden I noticed I'm at tier 4. And I also make much more C-Bills now with them. Maybe close to twice the amount. SInce I play and plan to play Clan only it's important due to the price of mechs.

Then, on this late medium maddness, I bought Storm Crow, to have something better than Nova for faction play scout missions. And I played it some, and also played little more Nova and tried to find better loadouts for it since I started making good C-Bills with Mad Dogs, so I could afford buying more omnipods and weapons. And after some games with mainly Storm Crow and little Nova, I fell back to tier 5. Now of course the tier doesn't so much matter, but C-Bills do.

So long story short, I would highly advice for all noobs to avoid buying light and medium mechs. You can't really advance the game with them.

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:09 AM

View PostTeer5, on 26 July 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

So long story short, I would highly advice for all noobs to avoid buying light and medium mechs. You can't really advance the game with them.

Eh... no.
I cut my teeth with Hunchies and still managed to climb the exp (psr) ladder just fine.
Most folks that are familiar with twitch FPS games will also tend to take to light mechs fairly well.

To your point, I agree that a heavy mech can help to ease a bit of the MWO learning curve. However there is no hard and fast rules about starting mechs. If anything, I tend to steer new players away from Assaults.

#6 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:23 AM

My first mech was an AWS-8Q. It screwed up with my KDR, WLR, PSR etc etc for a very long time.

It's my favourite mech.

I still wouldn't recommend it for a new player. My first buy was a STD245...for that thing. I thought it would make it faster. 48.6-49. Great. I bought a 280 next. You know the new player drill. It was a long and painful process, but my mechlab-fu is now a thousand times better.

First mechs I mastered were HBKs and they performed the same from T5 to T3. T2? A bit of an issue. T1? The 4P still works great, 4SP is a bit situational, and 4G is VERY map dependent.

Doesn't make the mechs bad. It's just that I am not the most patient player.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 26 July 2016 - 04:24 AM.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostTeer5, on 26 July 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

I personally started with the Shadowhawk, an then moved onto the Nova. Mediums did alright by me, as they had the speed an manouverablity to get myself out of the sort of situations I still get myself in, and had the firepower to make a good accounting of myself. Then I nabbed a banshee for assaults an a Firestarter for lights, and continued to have a blast. That said, Heavies have, and continue to be, my worst weight class. I've eventually found mechs I like there, and have high expectations for the marauder, but I cannot in good consciousness suggest buying a heavy to start off with.

Unless, you know, trial heavies seem to be your thing. Cuz everyone plays differently, and my best builds many not be yours, and my strategies may differ from yours.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 26 July 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

I think I moved from Tier 5.6 to Tier 5.5 recently.

#9 Ackurus

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

I should probably add a "What to do in a poke fight if you're the heaviest thing around." One reason I suggest starting with the Locust is when you're new, you need to experiment to get a feel for different weapon types. Teams tend to be weight balanced so doing poorly in a light 'Mech is less of a setback for your team than the death of an assault. Also, a good assault player is a big boost for your team. While lights can be very useful to a team in a small set of circumstances, overall, the loss of a single light is a big loss for the whole team. I can't see the loss of three lights leading to the enemy pushing, but I can see a loss of three assaults causing that in the right game. When I switched from Locust to a medium 'Mech I was surprised by how much shots were landing, and how much more damage I could absorb and survive.

Extremely light 'Mechs like the Locust might be the hardest to aim with. The Locust doesn't have horizontal arm movement and relies on twisting + their incredible speed. If you can aim with the Locust, you can probably aim with anything.

Edited by David Koolhoven, 26 July 2016 - 02:34 PM.

#10 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 25 July 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

I love tier 4/5.
Anything goes and ecm means you are almost 100% invisible.

I smell a smurf account... ;)

#11 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:57 PM

My advice...

Have fun! Your piloting a big stomy robot with pew pews!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users