Visible, Proven Leadership

11 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the idea? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you support the idea?

1. Yes (15 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

If you think it is BAD, why?

1. Too complicated to implement (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. Too exploitable (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Just plain stupid (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

4. PUGs can't handle this (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

5. I like it just fine (11 votes [61.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

If you think it's GOOD, why?

1. It'll help organize matches (10 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Fixes a problem I noticed (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

3. It's a good intro to competitive play (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

4. I'm going to enjoy exploiting it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I don't like it at all (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fluff My Garfield

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:04 PM

The goal is simple: Give us (PUGers) an obvious indicator as to who we're dropping with that deserves to be listened to. Disorganization is rampant in PUG matches because we're all apparently equals so why should anyone listen to anyone else?

The idea is simple: A small dot next to players’ names that (based off color and size) shows how winning a commander they are. To get a bigger, brighter dot:
  • You must be a lance or company commander at the end of the battle,
  • Your team must have won,
  • Other players must choose to give you a +1 at the end of the match. Players only have a single +1 to give out EACH WEEK, regardless of how many games they play or money they pay.
Here’s a couple of mock-ups using screen grabs I stole from the internet at large and modified in MS Paint:

Spoiler

And that is the idea. Be a leader, win matches, get votes of confidence that are visually represented, and have an easier time getting people to listen to you next time.

Or, as a regular player, play PUG matches like normal, win games, express your support of a leader who has given the best performance you’ve seen in a week or just continue to ignore people like we do now.

The nitty-gritty stuff:
Spoiler

Edited by Ogrecorps, 04 August 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#2 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

The answer is me.

#3 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 26 July 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

The answer is me.

basically this.

#4 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

I'd like to be able to 'upvote' and 'downvote' people at the end of a match (from the score board).

ie have a list attached to my account that nobody else can see, of people that I enjoy playing with so that there's a greater chance that I might be matched with them, whether they're good leaders, good pilots, funny...; And conversely of people who I'd prefer not to be grouped with and thereby be matched with them less frequently.

I'd like to be able to review that list and modify it between games, ideally with a field for comments. To curtail its misuse, make the viewable / modifiable list only show those people that I've 'upvoted'.

In doing so you'd also generate an intrinsic motivation to play well and be nice - if too many people don't want to play with a given person, that person's going to find it more difficult to get into games.
If you play well and contribute, people are going to want to have you on their team - with real results.

PGI would need to be careful about limits - people are people and you'd have to expect less mature people might gang up on an individual or stack votes (whether they deserve it or not).

Edited by Kynesis, 28 July 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#5 Seddrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:20 PM

Puggers will not listen anyway, even if you have a dot.

You can be a great leader and have bad groups who do not listen.

You can be a bad leader and have great groups who win despite you.

#6 Fluff My Garfield

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 26 July 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

The answer is me.

.... Posted Image .... Posted Image

How do I put this delicately...? Great though you may be, it is clear that if the answer is you, you is insufficient to the task, mostly due to a notable lack of omnipresence.

View PostSeddrik, on 30 July 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Think about WHY people don't listen: they know nothing about the person talking. When I'm in a match and someone starts giving commands my first thought is "Who does this guy think he is?" Well, under my system if he has a bright yellow dot next to his name I'd be able to see immediately that this is someone who wins as a leader AND is more than just lucky enough to have been in the seat at the time, he was specifically marked by other players as being worth listening to. If he has no dot then I know he's entirely untried or a useless commander who can be safely ignored.

Now think about what good leadership is: reading the situation (terrain advantage, local enemy and friendly force strengths) and then issuing one of the following commands: "Advance", "Stop", "Retreat", or "Shoot target X". More important than getting good trades, deploying UAVs/Airstrikes/Artillery, shooting unarmored sections, or any other things players do individually, moving as a group is the single biggest factor in winning PUG matches and that is best accomplished by 1 person deciding when it is time to do what and everyone else doing it. This means that the best way to win is to listen to someone competent and my system would make it very clear who the competent people are. Since Puggers want to win, they'd listen because their biggest reason for not listening now would be answered.

Edited by Ogrecorps, 01 August 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#7 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

I support the idea.

But I already lead most of my games, or try to, and what ends up happening is this. I also have learned that the little gold star means nothing. The commands I can issue on the battlegrid are a waste of my time. They take me out of the fight while I issue them, reducing my ability to see, move, and shoot. Also, what happens when two people with your leadership rating show up in the same game and argue with each other?

The questions isn't who can lead, it's who can follow.

#8 Fluff My Garfield

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostBrody, on 04 August 2016 - 04:22 AM, said:

I support the idea. But I already lead most of my games, or try to, and what ends up happening is this. I also have learned that the little gold star means nothing. The commands I can issue on the battlegrid are a waste of my time. They take me out of the fight while I issue them, reducing my ability to see, move, and shoot. Also, what happens when two people with your leadership rating show up in the same game and argue with each other? The questions isn't who can lead, it's who can follow.

I agree with you mostly. Yes, the gold star of "I nominate myself to be in charge" means nothing and the map commands are ignored and even dangerous to use. The difference between that and the these leadership dots would be that you will not have nominated yourself to have the dot, others will have given it to you as a show of confidence in your leadership AFTER you have successfully proven it.

Then it isn't "Who is this "Brody" guy?!", it's "Oh wow. This bossy fella over here is clearly indicated as one of the winningest leaders in the entire population!"

As for people arguing, there's nothing I can do about that. The highest ranked takes the command (Company or lance, that thing you've been doing) and keeps it because the other can't kick them out and either the other goes along or gets muted by those who care to. Free will to argue and follow or not stays intact, my suggestion just makes it easy to see WHO to follow instead of a great leader giving up an argument because a mediocre one was too annoying to be worth the fight.

#9 Brody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:23 AM

View PostOgrecorps, on 04 August 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

a great leader giving up an argument because a mediocre one was too annoying to be worth the fight.

exceedingly this.

#10 Jon McFuzzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:01 AM

View PostSeddrik, on 30 July 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hasty generalization is kind of negative and not helping. IMO, having a bad plan is still better than no plan at all - but based on non-scientific data (my own experience with the game), most of the time ppl are not interested to communicate. Even when you are dropping in group (QP) the communication tends to stay within that group only. Of course this is just my personal experience - I also cannot generalize this to represent everybody.

I don't think this is an issue that PGI should solve, as this is more within the community ourselves - but PGI CAN help to improve/facilitate the interaction between players.

Some people have recommended to have chat window everywhere, for example in mechlab so that we can ask for advice, add the ability to modify the friend list and name, fix the friend list issue (they are still shown active while actually offline), add the commands from the MW4 game such as "form up on me", "attack my target", "protect my target" etc.

I agree with this quote. Still, we need to move forward.

#11 Fluff My Garfield

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostJon McFuzzy, on 05 August 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

Hasty generalization is kind of negative and not helping. IMO, having a bad plan is still better than no plan at all - but based on non-scientific data (my own experience with the game), most of the time ppl are not interested to communicate. Even when you are dropping in group (QP) the communication tends to stay within that group only.

I agree but I think part of the reason people don't tend to communicate is because they don't want to be talking to themselves. I've been in games that were silent until someone pointed out a UAV and then the whole group opened up into marking targets, calling out flankers, etc. Next game, half of the people are the same 'cause we're all synched in our drops and again: silence on the voip.

In those moments when I'm feeling like being a leader I usually don't because it's usually too frustrating under the current system. If I had a colored dot next to my name that said I was worth listening to I would be more confident that opening my mouth wouldn't be a waste of energy and I'd do it more often. Yes, it's cowardly but the reality is that this is a game and I'm here to take it easy; an avoidable 5% decrease to game enjoyment is a no-brainer for me so I just let the team do or do not while I just try.

#12 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

View PostJon McFuzzy, on 05 August 2016 - 01:01 AM, said:

-snip-

If were going to start making wishlists of comm features the one big thing I want is a secondary communication wheel for when you're pointing directly at someone else. having a split second to say simple things like "your blocking my shot" or "fall back!" can give players with as little as two brain cells the heads-up they need to back out of a hopelessly wrong move. Alas, nothing can be done for those poor single-brain-cell souls, but such is the way of things.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users