- - - - -

Heyo Need Some Suggestions

12 replies to this topic

#1 SnyperWulff

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:44 PM

So I'm new to this. Well sort of. I remember playing the older MW games when I was younger. The Timber Wolf holds a special place in my heart and it's the first mech I'll be getting once I can afford it. I'm a medium range fighter mostly, though at times I do like to take longer range shots. Any suggestions on a mid to long TBR build?

#2 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

The Timberwolf is surprisingly good considering it's a mech that has such huge sentimental value.
(In my experience such objects don't often translate well into actual gameplay)

Here's a quick build I made on smurfy, using both a ballistic and some lasers using only the omnipods that the Prime variant gives you when you buy it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef26d90d7b0b5a0
It's not the best thing out there but it should get you started and give you a good feel for what you like to use. It's got 4x ER Medium lasers and an Ultra AC/5 for some medium range and an ER Large laser for some long range shots. After using it for a while, look over what you like/dislike and modify it to your heart's content. Perhaps swap the ER Large laser for another Ultra AC/5? Something like that. :D

Feel free to experiment with your own builds on that website. If you want to go straight to some of the "meta" builds that the better players out there use you can look at some of those here: http://metamechs.com/

Good luck and have fun on the battlefield!

Edited by Zoeff, 26 July 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#3 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

depends on what you classify as mid range. i can think of two good builds for what you want off the top of my head
first use the timberwolf C chassis for the first one as it has a center torso laser hardpoint

you can shove 2 large pulse lasers in an arm and a medium laser in your center torso and an ultra autocannon 20 with 3 tons of ammo in the other arm with modules your engagement range is around 400meters you can alpha with ac20 double tap for 73 dmg and then hide. When you run out of ammo you have around a thunderbolt or black knights firepower as long as you use your speed to stay out of range of their medium laser array. the LPL with modules reach out to 660 meters for 26 dmg and are very efficient in terms of dmg/heat ratio and duration of the beam

the other build can be built on any twolf chassis and is more of a brawler in a sense put two LPL in one arm two small pulse lasers in the other arm then load up on SRMS with the timber wolf D shoulder omnipods(its the toros omnipods with several missle hardpoints each I think its D ) you can also alpha for high dmg and if you only use srms and small lasers to fight are rather heat stable and brawl for an extended period.

there may be other builds or better builds to use but I have used twolf builds along those lines to great effect in the past.
mix and match omnipods and chassis for best effect like maybe get the D twolf and swap arm omnipods for energy to make this build?

#4 SnyperWulff

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

Wow that was fast. Thanks fellas! I'll have to look into each build and see what fits best for me as well as what I do and do not like. I'm glad to see even from a couple of people that this community is willing to help others. Now I just need to get more credits and actually get one of the mech so I'm not stuck using the trial lol.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to MWO, in the new player help thread there's a lot of us who will help you out.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

My personal armament is:
2 SRM-6.
1 LRM-20.
3 machine guns. (Requires the Timber Wolf Prime).
4 ER ML (on arms).
How it performed on my first try (also includes the build image).

It's a little harder to get away with close combat these days in the same build, but at medium range it still performs quite well.

#7 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:17 PM

The trial timberwolf loadout sounds like a perfect starting place for you.
If/when you buy your own and become a little more confident managing heat then you can ditch a heatsink for an extra ER-med laser.

#8 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

View PostSnyperWulff, on 26 July 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

So I'm new to this. Well sort of. I remember playing the older MW games when I was younger. The Timber Wolf holds a special place in my heart and it's the first mech I'll be getting once I can afford it. I'm a medium range fighter mostly, though at times I do like to take longer range shots. Any suggestions on a mid to long TBR build?

Some popular build types:

Gauss + 2x erppc (PPFLD)

Gauss + 4(or 5) er MLas

2x gauss

2x LPL + 4x er MLas

Do any of these builds peak your interest? If so- I can build one for you on smurfy

#9 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostZoeff, on 26 July 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

The Timberwolf is surprisingly good considering it's a mech that has such huge sentimental value.
(In my experience such objects don't often translate well into actual gameplay)

Here's a quick build I made on smurfy, using both a ballistic and some lasers using only the omnipods that the Prime variant gives you when you buy it.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef26d90d7b0b5a0
It's not the best thing out there but it should get you started and give you a good feel for what you like to use. It's got 4x ER Medium lasers and an Ultra AC/5 for some medium range and an ER Large laser for some long range shots. After using it for a while, look over what you like/dislike and modify it to your heart's content. Perhaps swap the ER Large laser for another Ultra AC/5? Something like that. Posted Image

Feel free to experiment with your own builds on that website. If you want to go straight to some of the "meta" builds that the better players out there use you can look at some of those here: http://metamechs.com/

Good luck and have fun on the battlefield!

Second the recommendation to check out the Timberwolf builds on metamechs.com. I learned a lot about the TBR on that site. Several of the builds had already occurred to me. That being said I hated every LRM boat I had played till I tried the one he had posted on there for the Timber. Doesn't play like a LRM boat but satisfied what I was going to do with my 3rd unit.

#10 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:11 PM

The current champion build (2 large pulse lasers, 3 er medium lasers and a couple jump jets) is excellent at mid to semi-long range. I swapped the large pulse lasers to the arms and the medium lasers into the torsos for a) greater flexibility and b ) OCD weapon grouping and placement.
While the champion itself costs real money, you can still build it for c-bills if you prefer. Here's the way I have it set up:
TBR-C(C)

Be wary though - it's gotten a LITTLE better lately with all the other new dangerous things that have come out, but Timber Wolves are still a fairly high priority target

Edited by Audacious Aubergine, 26 July 2016 - 11:11 PM.

#11 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:57 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 26 July 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

The trial timberwolf loadout sounds like a perfect starting place for you.
If/when you buy your own and become a little more confident managing heat then you can ditch a heatsink for an extra ER-med laser.

Seconded. For the play style you describe, no need to look further than this.

#12 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:20 AM

I also confirm the trial timber wolf.

But I run this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3028f59f298ae6

(however I admit it is quite situation dependent for me if it shines or not, but the toktoktok of the UACs and its look make it for me)

#13 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

Snyperwulf,

Please note that at the heart of MWO this game is a MECH-collectable game as much as Magic-the-Gathering is a card collectable game.

Mech bays cost 300MC normally and go on sale 1-2 times a year for 30-50% off.

MC can be bought for 10-25% off almost once a month.

A savvy player will buy MC on sale and wait for a Mech-Bay sale and flush all of the MC into buying new mech-bays. Mechbuys are the only thing that really must be purchased to get the most out of MWO. All others necessary items/objects can be earned and purchased with in game C-Bills.

Hope this helps!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users