- - - - -

Is Ghostheat Supposed To Work Like This?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

When it comes to ghostheat I've learnt and followed one simple rule. Too many weapons of one type = ghost heat.

So you take 8 MLAS you get ghost heat. But if you take 4 MPLAS and 4 MLAS no ghost heat since pulse lasers and normal lasers isn't the same weapon types.

Recently started to play more heavies which means bigger weapons.

Now if you take 4 LPLAS or 4 LLAS you get ghost heat. But they're not the same weapon type so you should be fine if you take 2 of each. But apparently that still causes ghost heat.

So how come large size types of lasers counts as the same type when the medium size type counts as different types?

#2 Zoeff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 264 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

It's somewhat arbitrary. If you could mix MPLs with regular MLs then that's an easy way to dodge ghost heat. This was actually how it used to be. Before the BJ-1X nerf the usual build was 6x ML 2x MPL if I recall correctly, which you could alpha without any ghost heat penalty.

See this page for all the various ghost heat stats: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

Edited by Zoeff, 27 July 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#3 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostChryckan, on 27 July 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

When it comes to ghostheat I've learnt and followed one simple rule. Too many weapons of one type = ghost heat.

So you take 8 MLAS you get ghost heat. But if you take 4 MPLAS and 4 MLAS no ghost heat since pulse lasers and normal lasers isn't the same weapon types.

Now if you take 4 LPLAS or 4 LLAS you get ghost heat. But they're not the same weapon type so you should be fine if you take 2 of each. But apparently that still causes ghost heat.

So how come large size types of lasers counts as the same type when the medium size type counts as different types?

Some weapons are linked as far as ghost heat is concerned. I thought you got a warning in the mechlab if an alpha gives you ghost heat though.

#4 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Yes and no. For IS MLs you can fire 6x at a time or do 4x MLs and 4x MPLs and not get ghost heat. However, If you tried to do the same thing with the Clan equivalent then you will get ghost heat. You can still fire 6x CERML though and not get ghost heat.

Edited by Coralld, 27 July 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostChryckan, on 27 July 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Please refer to here...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

And it's because of PGI.
Granted their ranges do not cooperate-well with one another is another such reason, or to encourage you to use them in conjunction with other weapons. Mediums and medium pulses should be linked, however, since Clan's versions are.

Also this is why the big weapons all have linked ghost heat.

Edited by Koniving, 27 July 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#6 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 27 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

On the top left of the Mechlab in a section for warnings. If you've got something going on you'll see a picture representing the problem. Click on the picture to get a popup describing the issue. It'll tell you the cause of the ghost heat. General rule of thumb, PPC stack whether ER or not, large lasers stack whether ER, Pulse, or standard. Inner Sphere lasers tend to stack by type, so medium pluse lasers and medium lasers don't, clan tend to stack if it not large lasers, so ER, Pulse, Medium and Small, but not with the large lasers. On Clan mechs I find it useful to do two Large Pluse Laser back by several Medium Pulse. It's hot but doesn't get ghost heat. This will work with the ER lasers too if you prefer those.

Finally here is a link to a video containing information about the warning pop up if you have trouble finding it. i've set the link to show the point in the video I talk about the pop up.

https://youtu.be/iUk...94hAMs8HD&t=103

#7 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

Also remember that Ghost Heat is being replaced in a couple of months (I was looking for a forum reference but it must have been during the Town Halls that they talked about it) with a different system which will link ALL weapons.

It's not in the Roadmap for August so it looks like it has been pushed out and I believe it will appear on PTS first.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

Inner Sphere can fire 3 Large class lasers without Heat Scale (Ghost Heat) but Clan can only fire 2,
6 of the same class of small or Medium lasers is the limit,
firing 2 AC20s will trigger the penalty,

in all cases that only applies if they are fired within half a second, so if you fire a medium laser every 0.51 seconds you will never trigger ghost heat however if you fire every 0.49 seconds you will trigger the heat penalty on the 7th shot and it will get worse with each additional weapon as the timer is reset when you fire the next shot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users