A Good Is Light That Goes Well In A Drop Deck?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

As I've just started a foray into faction play my emerging deck lacks lights.

So I figured I'll take advantage of the sale of lights to pick up a chassi for some cheap cbills that will work well in just faction play.

I'm not much of an light pilot unless you count urbanmechs (which I play as fast mediums). I also have the Spider which is great fun just to run around in but I'm unable to get any good results in.

So I need some valued advice on what to get.

On caveat, though. Am suffering from a lack of mechbays at the moment which I doubt will remedy itself in the near future, so unfortunately I can only fit 2 lights. Which will prevent me from eliting them.
So if the mech work well only basiced it would be perfect.
Possibly, because of this I might be interested and getting 2 different mechs to try out.

So what should I put in my drop deck. Ravens, Firestarters, Commandos (which have the best engine sound in the game) or all of the above?

#2 John McHobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

First question are you in a Unit?
Do you drop with people with whom you can plan decks or is it Pugs.

If its a unit, consider a spotting Raven 3L.
If its Pugs the firestarter may be the better choice as a general attack mech.
The Commando is still terribad AFAIK.

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:17 AM

I'd skip on commandos (they just break apart so easily, especially the arms) and firestarters (rescaling to medium mech size really hurt them badly)

You can go locust to free tonnage for your other 3 mechs (allowing to take 65-75 ton heavies or go for an assault + heavies)
1E for close combat trolling
1V for range harassing
If you chip in money go for the pirates' bane, it's worth it.

You can go raven (3L, 2X, 4X) for longrange or midrange (i personally would recommend the 2X for midrange, 2LL+2ML+2DHS+XL255, that's what i am running with a solid mix of punch, mobility and hardpointlocation)
If you do not own any radar deprivation modules go for the 3L with ecm.

Oxide is still valid simply because of the damage output. the other jenners don't have an advantage over other lights and share the same fate of the firestarter (too big hitboxes for a light).

Wolfhounds and panthers are rather slow but pack a better punch, just play them like you would play a medium and you should get good results.
If you want to load a woulfhound with lots of small or medium lasers to free tonnage for a faster XL, you're still better of with firestarters in my opinion.

Since you will earn at least one mechbay soon, hold on to the 2 variants you will buy. Getting the elite skill is almost a must for lights.

If you think you will not get the mechbay anytime soon, consider buying a variant you do not favor, level it to basic level and sell it. then get 2 variants you do favor and unlock the elite skills with both. you will not have access to the master module slot but that is not as important then having the elite and double basic skills. Although,
You will have to rebuy that mech later on to unlock master skills (or elite 1 other mech of the same weightclass).

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 29 July 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#4 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

What's a spotting Raven?

I thought the Panter and the Wolfhound were mechs that were borderline terribad too?

#5 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

Raven's not bad. The rescale wasn't as significant for the mech and it's a long range mech, so it can work around some of the size shortcomings more easily. The 3L has ECM, the 2X has four energy ports, can can bring firepower (2x LL, 2x ML) comparable to some mediums, with more speed, and the 4X has jumpjets and some nice duration quirks to make ERs pretty damn good.

I have it on some good sources that the Spider 5K is still decent, if slightly more pokey now. The quirks on it are still insane, and if a mech has important components opened up, you can still crit seek very quickly, perhaps even quickly enough to compensate for the rescale.

Locust is stills seeing play, even with the unnecessary nerf. In the end, people still can't aim very well. Clan weapons have long duration if you're in FW against them, so there's that as well.

Firestarter does enjoy short duration, good speed, and jumpjets. I haven't seen as much of it during the rescale, but it doesn't seem hit nearly as bad as the Jenner.

Those are the ones I would grab. Now if only my desktop hadn't died at a bad time :(

#6 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

commando's arent that bad but also not easy to play. they are massively limited in their damage output but you can still do 500 dmg in them. just put something big in your center and enough ammo for it.. like a srm6 lol
its all you have most of times =)

and never stop, never run straight, just run and run and run, then you can have fun in trollmando's but they surely arent the best or easiest lights to play.

#7 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

View PostAlienized, on 29 July 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

commando's arent that bad but also not easy to play. they are massively limited in their damage output but you can still do 500 dmg in them. just put something big in your center and enough ammo for it.. like a srm6 lol
its all you have most of times =)

and never stop, never run straight, just run and run and run, then you can have fun in trollmando's but they surely arent the best or easiest lights to play.

You can do 500+ damage in a Phoenix Hawk, but that doesn't make it good.

#8 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostAerei, on 29 July 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

You can do 500+ damage in a Phoenix Hawk, but that doesn't make it good.

do i have to quote myself now just so you read again what i wrote? okay then...

View PostAlienized, on 29 July 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

then you can have fun in trollmando's but they surely arent the best or easiest lights to play.

does that make it more clear for you? in a well working team a commando is a nice distraction mech. useful stuff.

#9 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

I feel so enlightened. Thank you. Your wisdom is everlasting. Maybe I should quote this, so you can read it again. Do I have to? Okay...

View PostChryckan, on 29 July 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

So I figured I'll take advantage of the sale of lights to pick up a chassi for some cheap cbills that will work well in just faction play.

I'm not much of an light pilot unless you count urbanmechs (which I play as fast mediums). I also have the Spider which is great fun just to run around in but I'm unable to get any good results in.

Now I'll even add something to this. This is someone that isn't much of a light pilot--read, not a lot of experience. He wants a good mech for faction war, not a trolltastic one or whatever you're going on about. Also, is a mech chassis that's not easy to use really a good idea for someone inexperienced with lights?

Just think on that.

#10 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostAerei, on 29 July 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

I feel so enlightened. Thank you. Your wisdom is everlasting. Maybe I should quote this, so you can read it again. Do I have to? Okay...

Now I'll even add something to this. This is someone that isn't much of a light pilot--read, not a lot of experience. He wants a good mech for faction war, not a trolltastic one or whatever you're going on about. Also, is a mech chassis that's not easy to use really a good idea for someone inexperienced with lights?

Just think on that.

commandos are good enough. i said how to play it. then they work good enough.
unexperienced players will never have a easy time in any light at all.
it doesnt matter what light. if he doesnt try them out and learns it none of the current lights are good.
you can pick whatever you want, it is like that.

locust is the only viable choice because its too small.
the only advice you can give someone who looks for a *good* light is how to play in them overall. not a specific chassis.

#11 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

For some reason I've always done well in the trial mech command... better than in most other lights...

But I'm leaning towards the Raven, mostly because it is such an Iconic mech. Plus it's apparently above average if I understand things right.

#12 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

I am not a good light pilot but Raven (2L) with ECM and 2 ER LLs is a very good "sniper mech". I can still get good results with the Oxide.

#13 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

View PostChryckan, on 29 July 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

For some reason I've always done well in the trial mech command... better than in most other lights...

But I'm leaning towards the Raven, mostly because it is such an Iconic mech. Plus it's apparently above average if I understand things right.

It's because noone takes that trial serious, there are probably 11 other, more dangerous targets on the field.

#14 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostChryckan, on 29 July 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

thats only because ECM and 2 er large lasers work everywhere. and its mainly the ECM why it works very well.

#15 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostAlienized, on 29 July 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

thats only because ECM and 2 er large lasers work everywhere. and its mainly the ECM why it works very well.

Not really, once i forgot the ecm on my 2D, i played it like i still had it on me, standing in the open expecting not to be seen.
Took me several matches to notice the missing ECM.
Virtually no difference, enemy team just didn't took me serious when other targets were around.

#16 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 29 July 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

Not really, once i forgot the ecm on my 2D, i played it like i still had it on me, standing in the open expecting not to be seen.
Took me several matches to notice the missing ECM.
Virtually no difference, enemy team just didn't took me serious when other targets were around.

did you have range weaponry on it?

#17 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostAlienized, on 29 July 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

did you have range weaponry on it?

nope, literally standing in the middle of it, providing (no) ECM cover.

#18 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 29 July 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

nope, literally standing in the middle of it, providing (no) ECM cover.

and thats the reason. ECM on commando is only helping on the move to the enemy. if you are near one they know that you are here through ECM.
why ECM on trollmandos is not necessary.

#19 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

View PostChryckan, on 29 July 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

What's a spotting Raven?

I thought the Panter and the Wolfhound were mechs that were borderline terribad too?

A spotting Raven is, quite simply, pretty much the stock 3L. It acts as a spotter for the team, marking targets and generally staying out of everyone else's way. It's an ok style of play, but not terrific, mainly because the mechs that benefit most from that sort of player (Mainly LRM boats like Catapults and Mad Dogs) just aren't being used right now.

As for your second point, it mostly depends on how you play them. Both are better adapted for longer ranged combat styles, with the Panther 10K being one of the few mechs to be able to make PPCs into a worthwhile weapon and the Wolfhound being a rather good long range buttstabber with ERLLs. You have to play them like long range mediums, either staying close to your teammate near the rear lines or running off behind the enemy team's rear line and poking them from behind at long range.

#20 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

May I suggest Spider-5D.
It has multitude of load outs ranging form 2 ERLL sniper to 3 MPL "Knife Fighter".
There are some in between builds with 1 LL/LPL +2 ML, all with ECM and Jump Jets.
Simply stated, it's a more flexible Raven 3L.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users