Looking To Buy Oculus Rift To Replace My Burnt Out Monitor

2 replies to this topic

#1 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:59 AM

It's been about a year and a half since my monitor died. I put off replacing it since I knew I want the Rift. Now I'm in position to pick one up. How is the game doing in supporting the Rift?

MWO is really the only game I play, my game rig was designed solely to play it...everything else is just minor distractions.

It won't matter to me if the Rift may not support a lot of other games...all that matters is MWO.

#2 ValkerieFire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

Great question, I'd love to know the answer.

#3 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

Short Answer would be Nope.

Long Answer. I guess you get to be the test subject. Considering the difficulty that we have running MWO at a steady(steady!) 60fps, and the general recommendation/requirement for VR to run at 90fps to avoid nastiness, it is NOT recommended at this time. Another issue is the lack of official support for VR at this time. My understanding is that it would require redoing the way the HUD elements work, and that, at this time, PGI is not going to undertake that work for a very small percentage of the MWO audience.

I suppose you could run MWO on a virtual monitor within VR, but...why? ( I can think of a few reasons but still...)

So...I suppose the long answer is...At Your Own Risk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users