26 replies to this topic

#1 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:55 PM

The title says it all. After watching some of the Tournament, and lately experiences in PUG queue, the question must be asked.

PGI please don't nerf PPCs again. Or jumpjets. The damage is done. After the release of Ghost Heat 2.0, we can talk about balance changes. Poptarts do not stop me from putting an AC20 in them at 200m (or preferably less). Have been seeing a lot more Cataphracts, Highlanders and Summoners lately. I have also been seeing a lot of names I do not recognize and have had longer Matchmaker times, so there could be that. None the less, jumping Timbers with 3 ERPPCs...

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:40 AM

View Post762 NATO, on 10 August 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

The title says it all. After watching some of the Tournament, and lately experiences in PUG queue, the question must be asked.

PGI please don't nerf PPCs again. Or jumpjets. The damage is done. After the release of Ghost Heat 2.0, we can talk about balance changes. Poptarts do not stop me from putting an AC20 in them at 200m (or preferably less). Have been seeing a lot more Cataphracts, Highlanders and Summoners lately. I have also been seeing a lot of names I do not recognize and have had longer Matchmaker times, so there could be that. None the less, jumping Timbers with 3 ERPPCs...

Im a bit confused.... How do they use 3x erppc efficiently? Thats gotta be like 95% heat or worse?

Wouldnt 2x ppc + gauss... Or even dual gauss just be better?

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

OP.. WAKE UP!!! Its okay, it was only a dream, a fantasy.

Heavier mechs have nothing but hoverjets and most of those Victors and Highlanders MAY have 1 JJ to help them get over the tiny pebbles they are always getting stuck on.

Posted Image

My spelling and grammer has been horrendous lately /shudders...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 August 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#4 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 11 August 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

How do they use 3x erppc efficiently?

They don't. Timbers are using 2PP and a gauss, an to be honest their amount of jets usually isn't that high we can call them poptarts.

But yep, we see more and more mechs with JJ and 2 PPCs, Hunchbacks, Novas, Summoners, etc. Personally that's almost all I still found fun in the game, so I'm glad. But those are not the HGN and CTF of the good old days.

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

#pleasemakevictorsflyagain

#6 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:17 PM

Only a few mechs can poptart effectively, and that's usually because they have to make the most of their locked jumpjets, e.g. Shadow Cats, Novas, Vipers, Summoners, Arctic Cheetahs, and few others.

Also, don't knock 3 ER PPC until you've tried them on a Highlander IIC, with 3 SSRM6.

#7 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

Maybe I should change the title to "clenching butt cheeks and pushing really hard in hopes of flight" meta? Also, it calmed down when everyone got in assaults and lights, but I bet it will return in a few days. Also distinctly remember an SJR or 228 timberwolf with 3ppcs in their match. I do reserve the right to be wrong, but the only weapons I saw fired were cSPL, cERPPCs, two guass/ppcs Kodiak's per team and one lone grasshopper with 5LL...

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

Remember when 30 damage was a big alpha????

#9 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:04 AM

#poptartmetaneverwentaway

#10 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

#makeDragonSlayergreatagain.

FWIW I've been having fun with peeps on the Shadow Cat and Executioner lately (EXE with gauss/2ERPPC asymm build that makes use of the locked MASC/JJs). I share your hope that they don't nerf PPFLD into the ground, maybe drop the cooldown speed a bit to lower DPS but it should still be viable to spike some damage instead of puking lasers and medium caliber autocannon rounds all over the place.

#11 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

I am reviving my thread here. Called it. It has returned in the form of JJ+PPCs. Just saying.

Cheers!

#12 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:04 PM

Only seen a few Shadow Cats try it, usually with poor aim but now Huntsmans and Summoners are getting back into Pop-tarting.

I don't mind, it's like shooting clay pigeons. PULL! Posted Image

Edited by Steel Raven, 20 October 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:07 AM

Definatelly hunchback iic, night gyrs are poptarting!

Blackjacks, summoners and shadowcats still poptarting! The list goes on... Ect...

Please PGI #MakeVictorsFlyAgain!

#14 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

Poptarting never went away that's true. But its popularity has increased rapidly in the last several months. My theory is because PPFLD works really well against two other popular playstyles - dakka and laser vomit, and Gauss/ERPPC/AC poptarting is really just a form of PPFLD that further attempts to minimize face time and increase the difficulty of returning fire.

#15 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,620 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 21 October 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

Definatelly hunchback iic, night gyrs are poptarting!

Blackjacks, summoners and shadowcats still poptarting! The list goes on... Ect...

Please PGI #MakeVictorsFlyAgain!

And. . . .wait for it. . . THE HUNTSMAN! It too can pop tart, and it's better at it than the rest! Posted Image

:the crowd is in total shock:

Edited by Hawk819, 22 October 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#16 A Baoa Qu

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

I've occasionally encountered poptarting enemy teams on the new Terra Therma, that map seems to favour this tactic despite the extra heat. It's definitely happened on this map more often than any of the other ones.

#17 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

huntsman is a good ppc poptart,sadly convergence is a bit wonky on it and i tend to miss a lot of shots

targeting computer 6 + 2 ppcs = 30 % velocity buff

#18 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:28 PM

View Post762 NATO, on 10 August 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

There is a good chance Energy Draw will be out of the picture for a long time.

Jumping Timbers with 3 ER PPCs? that isn't a thing, sorry.

The real poptarts are Summoners and Hbk-IICs, Hunstmen are doing it too, but those won't be affected by Energy Draw so... sorry...

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 24 October 2016 - 08:28 PM.

#19 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 14 August 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

Remember when 30 damage was a big alpha????

yes and when the most feared mech was the AC40 catapult, running at sub 60 kph with that 200STD, 8t ammo, with the bullet magnet cockpit. and people whined so much about the AC40 alpha...

#20 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostCorrado, on 26 October 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

yes and when the most feared mech was the AC40 catapult, running at sub 60 kph with that 200STD, 8t ammo, with the bullet magnet cockpit. and people whined so much about the AC40 alpha...

remember then streak srms2 boats were actually dangerous? :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users