18 replies to this topic

#1 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

not familiar with Star Wars Rebels but I will be ordering the complete seasons now that I know
thanks

I had some Star Wars audio books from the new Jedi Order (they kinda suck)

Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire was great

http://starwars.wiki.../X-Wing_(novels)

Iron Fist and Rouge Squadron are good

#2 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

I still can't believe they brought Darth Maul back from the dead.

Now Mitthrawnuruodo shows up.

It'll either be the best season so far, or the worst season.

I still can't believe their squadron is called phoenix squadron. To add insult to injury it seems as if everyone in the squadron except the main characters get killed off every other episode. They constantly have to "rise from the ashes". Ick.

Good series so far though.

#3 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

I didn't realize Darth Maul was resurrected so many times.

I remember people laughing at the idea of Maul surviving being cut in half and tossed down an elevator shaft.

Little did they know.

#4 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 14 August 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yeah. He was resurrected as early as like 2002.

Frankly I find that what they have done with Maul has been really good. They gave an overall bland character some awesome depth and character, and he has a very conflicting story. He is a really grey character which is something Star Wars needed more of.

And then Thrawn coming in is... omg... lets just say if Thrawn was real, I'd be gay for Thrawn.

I like that his character design has the white uniform of grand admirals Timothy Zahn described. Things are getting strange now. The Force Awakens seemed to do away with Zahn's original book trilogy. At least the best of it might have a chance of surviving now.

Although it looks like the outbound flight project, katana fleet and other remnants of the EU could be gone.

#5 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 14 August 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

All of the EU is gone. The only thing that is canon is what was released after the Disney acquisition of LucasArts in 2011, and the films and TV series'. So Clone Wars, Movies, and a handful of books.

But before you say anything about that, Grand Admiral Thrawn is getting a whole new book by Timothy Zahn, and for the TV show, they brought Zahn on the show as a consultant for Thrawn's character and Zahn is a consultant for the whole season from what I hear. So they are being as faithful as possible to Thrawn's original character as they can be.

Some of EU could still be canon. The stories that take place in between the movies and origins stories that predate the prequels. That probably won't be overwritten or contradicted.

I hope they don't venture too much into moral relativism with the next arc.

#6 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 14 August 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

The could but they aren't.

Here is a list of the current Canon-
https://en.wikipedia...Star_Wars_canon

And honestly I don't know what they will go into in the next season. But I predict it will be amazing. Honestly they have done such a good job so far. I even like it more than half the Clone Wars series (which I do love).

I can't believe they completely wiped the slate clean. That's a bad call imo there was good material in there better than the stuff JJ Abrams or Michael Bay makes.

I've noticed some corporate types have that lion devouring the cubs of previous lions mentality. It doesn't matter if the previous leadership did a good job any project the current heads didn't create has to die.

Its egotistical & shortsighted.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 15 August 2016 - 11:19 AM.

#7 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

George Lucas contradicted the novels when he nixed Boba Fett's origins story of being a journeyman protector from concord dawn. He didn't discredit the entirety of the EU. It is kind of a **** move on disney's part to flush the time and effort people put into it down a toilet. If George Lucas were a lion/CEO and all the EU books were his cubs. Then George Lucas were replaced by another lion/CEO and the first thing they did is to kill off all of the previous lion's cubs. That could represent stereotypical behavior some executives and CEO's are known for.

I wouldn't mind so much if JJ Abrams Star Trek movies were great. His first movie was ok, the second was meh, the third I don't care about. If the next two successors to The Force Awakens follow that pattern, I think people are going to be pissed.

#8 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:08 AM

Characters like Dash Rendar in Shadows of the Empire which take place in the timeline between ESB and ROTJ aren't contradicted by the Force Awakens. There's no reason for disney to go out of their way in saying those books / games are not canon. What disney has done is create two distinctly separate universes, similar to what they did with trek, except in trek's case disney didn't have the power to make the original trek series non canon.

The Force Awakens was ok. Its the next two movies in the trilogy I'm concerned with. JJ Abrams record with the trek reboot is starting out ok and as time passes the quality of his work seems to decline. Harrison Ford was probably the best thing about TFA. Now that he's gone, what's left? Mark Hamil could pull up the slack. The work he's done as the trickster on The Flash was good.

If JJ Abrams next two star wars movies are bad enough, it could be his universe that will eventually be considered non canon and the EU which could be considered legit canon work if the quality of it is better.

#9 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Its more a question of... is delegitimizing the entire EU fair to authors & game developers -- those who did work with the star wars franchise before disney came along.

I disagree with it.

JJ Abrams directed Star Trek Into Darkness.

Star Trek Beyond was directed by Justin Lin who directed the Fast / Furious movies.

You're right about JJ Abrams not being involved with the 3rd film.

It doesn't have much to do with Abrams, bro. Its more about whether or not the star wars reboot will be better than the EU as a whole. And whether or not disney made a good move with de-legitimizing the entire EU, whether it was fair/moral, etc.

#10 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

I'll try to sum up it one sentence. Essentially, disney took the entire EU and reduced it all to fan fiction. Will consumers buy fan fiction? Maybe. But yeah someone could say that was a **** move by disney. They're flushing years of work people invested into the star wars franchise down the drawin. Contradictions and inconsistencies are one thing, what disney did is completely different.

I agree that the yuuzhan vong arc is bad and I don't mind seeing the entire thing burn in fire, but throwing the baby out with the bath water in terms of the decent work being reduced to fan fiction along with the crap in the EU is inexcusable from my perspective.

Directors have far more creative control than script writer or authors. Directors have the final say on everything and can change the script however they see fit. Like I said before, this isn't about JJ Abrams. Disney also owns the marvel franchise and the quality of all their reboots and live action films has also been declining similar to the way the quality of the star trek reboot seems to be in decline(I haven't seen the 3rd trek movie yet but its ratings seem to be lower than the 2nd film).

It isn't only reducing the entire body of work in the EU to fan fiction I disagree with.

JJ Abrams and disney likely not being able to replace what they destroyed with anything better, given the poor quality of things like Superman vs Batman also blows.

#11 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:33 AM

EU contradictions didn't reduce entire parts of it to the level of fan fiction. All of it was considered canon, only some parts were more canon than others. It doesn't make sense to say that disney is saving as much of the EU as they can when they've gone out of their way to reduce all of it to fan fiction by declaring all of it non-canon. Neither Rebels nor the Force Awakens contradicts the entirety of the extended universe & so declaring the entire EU non-canon was unnecessary.

The studio which represents the shareholders and those that fund the movie have more creative control than the director. But like I said the director has more creative control than the script writers / authors. So no. You can't blame the script writer for the script JJ Abrams signed on it being that Abrams has the creative control to edit and adjust the storyline as he sees fit. You could have blamed the studio for that, but not the script writer.

Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, The Dark Knight Trilogy and many DC / Marvel movies were very good. But at time goes on the quality does seem to be getting worse -- just as the Trek reboots seem to be getting worse. It doesn't mean I thought the Avengers was bad, only that the trend doesn't look good in terms of quality.

Disney owns the rights to the Marvel and DC universes, just as the own the rights to Star Wars. If disney isn't responsible for Batman vs Superman, then who is? If JJ Abrams isn't responsible for the 2nd trek movie being worse than the 1st. And if the 3rd trek movie is the worse one yet -- why isn't that trend likely to re-appear with the star wars reboot?

You say disney is "working to save as much of the EU as they can". That's not accurate. What is accurate is they're wrecking as much of the old EU as they can and trying to reboot it with new material. Now if the trek reboot is bad, doesn't that mean that the other reboots are likely to be bad as well? Its not about if people are excited about Thrawn books that haven't even been released yet. Which they could well hate later. What I'm asking is why the star wars reboots will be better than the trek reboots.

If disney and jj abrams haven't done a good job with trek reboots, why should we expect them to do a good job with star wars reboots? Its like if Michael Bay did a star wars movie & you dislike Michael Bays body of work, why would you expect to get a different result?

Edited by I Zeratul I, 16 August 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#12 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 16 August 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Star Wars the Force Awakens: 92%
Star Trek Into Darkness: 86%
Star Trek Beyond: 84%
Star Trek Reboot: 95%

In order of release its.

Star Trek Reboot: 95%
Star Trek Into Darkness: 86%
Star Trek Beyond: 84%

Quality seems to be declining over time. The same precedent applies to DC, Marvel and comic movies.

Anyways, I hope disney's reboots of star wars are good. I hope they're all successful. I also hope upcoming marvel/dc stuff is good cuz it gives me !@#% to put on and keep my brain occupied when I'm working out.

But I do have to say that recent movies I've seen contained a !@#%load of political bs that made them terribad. And the trend seems to be getting worse. Let's see what happens, bro.

If you read the Thrawn reboots and hate them will I be surprised? No. But hey no pressure. Posted Image

BTW have you read JK Rowling's new play "The Cursed Child"? I still haven't gotten around to it. :/

Edited by I Zeratul I, 16 August 2016 - 04:10 PM.

#13 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 16 August 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Also chances are slim to none I will hate the new Thrawn reboot because Timothy Zahn, the original creator, is as I stated the one who is rebooting Thrawn so... yeah. No reason to fear at all.

Also The Cursed Child is nothing but time travel mumbo jumbo ********. It was absolutely a waste of time. Don't buy it unless you can get it cheap.

No reason you say. Not sure what happened. The quality of writing seems to have declined in season 3.

Thx for the tip on Cursed Child. Not sure what happened to JK Rowling but she seems to have gone downhill right around the time the Casual Vacancy hit the shelves.

#14 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

I always knew Queen Amadala was general snoak!

The trailer now confirms my theory!

(P.s. Season 2 was already quite good, I cant wait to watch season 3... Once it comes out on Blu-Ray)

#15 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:56 AM

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG THRAWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all time favorite character in the starwars universe.

#16 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 16 October 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

I don't know what you are talking about. Season 3 has been rather amazing so far.

*******SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT WATCHED SEASON 3 OF STAR WARS REBELS YET*******

Whatever it is, they chucked continuity, the timeline, the laws of physics and power scaling out the window to accomplish it. I can make amends for time constraints. There were far fewer glaring offenses in seasons 1 and 2. This season is the most dumbed down so far. It might become more obvious as the season continues.

Among some of the more obvious gaffs.

-Darth Maul tricks Kanan and has him blown out an airlock into space. Kanan's lungs should have imploded and his body should have froze in seconds.

-A-wings weren't in Star Wars IV a New Hope. The canon timeline says they weren't developed until after the Battle of Yavin. SW Rebels broke the timeline and now has them appearing 5 years before the Battle of Yavin.

-The Ghost is a stock light freighter which is about 50 meters in length. It normally survives multiple hits from TIE fighters without sustaining significant damage. That's because rebels equip their ships with warship grade armor, shields and weapons across the board. The episode where Sabine infiltrates the imperial starfighter academy and the heroes show up in a rebel blockade runner/corellian corvette had broken power scaling in that the 150 meter ship they showed up in should have been much better equipped to destroy a handful of TIE interceptors, with much better shields as well.

-Via canon a-wings are faster than TIE interceptors. They're been misrepresented.

-Via canon rebel transports like the one from the episode with Wedge Antilles are heavily modded with big engines and big shields. They're built to literally run a blockade of star destroyers. A few TIE interceptors shouldn't have been able to bring one down as easily as they did.

-In the last episode, Thrawn shoots Ezra Bridger. I'm sure there are people who will have a problem with a jedi who can sense incoming blaster bolts and deflect them with a lightsaber being caught completely off guard. In Thrawn's defense he used the blue stun coil setting which spreads out like a scatter gun. But still questionable.

I'm just scratching the surface here.

If someone wanted to make the case, they could easily say that star wars rebels is butchering star wars canon far worse than anything PGI ever did.

#17 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:52 AM

Corellian corvettes come standard with weapons, shields and armor. They're much more heavily armed than small stock light freighters like the ghost. Supposition suggests they must also be more heavily shielded and armored, especially given they're three times as long.

BTW corvettes are literally called "rebel blockade runners":

http://starwars.wiki...orvette/Legends

If you read that you can see corvettes are regularly used by pirates, smugglers, navies -- they are combat craft as are more or less all corellian ships.

I don't remember how much a stun coil spreads as it travels, it might have been as much as 3-4 meters. To dodge it Ezra might have needed to dodge 10-14 feet to the side. That could be the excuse you're looking for. Not "he was mentally unstable".

If you're looking for a motive, I suspect people with money and influence in the world are deliberately dumbing down pop culture genres like star wars in their efforts to produce a society of decreased intelligence.

If you want a motive, that's the one you're looking for. Posted Image

#18 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:59 PM

Source info for the original star wars trilogy aren't EU material and should still be canon.

Imperial forces did not have a significant technical advantage. Many imperial ships were built by KDY -- Kuat Drive Yards. There were many other competing corporations that could match KDY in terms of technical savvy. Corellian Engineering Corp, the builder of the corellian corvette aka rebel blockade runner was on par with KDY in terms of engineering. This isn't EU material, this is source material for the original trilogy -- it should still be canon unless disney decides to uncanonize material from the first three films.

The reason for the tech divide between rebel alliance and empire was rebels using older technology that was outdated. Z-95's, y-wings, things like that. The corellian corvette is a relatively new ship, it wouldn't suffer from those handicaps. Corvettes are 150 meters. They're not big enough to take on 900 meter vic class star destroyers or newer 1,600 meter long imperial sd's. But pound for pound, meter for meter, their tech level is about equal to whatever the empire can field due to them being new.

lol @ diet Dune.

Star wars is an intellectual masterpiece compared to the !@#% that is released in movie theaters these days.

The people who play this game and want jump jets, LRM's, AC's, lasers, PPC's, gauss, light mechs and every complexity nerfed and dumbed down into nothingness come to mind.

Those are the types of people I would guess star wars is being dumbed down for. Maybe in an effort to create the perfect slave race incapable of independent or critical thought. That might make for a good story eh.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 17 October 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#19 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

Well if you want to get technical, I think all spaceships in the star wars universe have particle shielding which protects ships from debris, collisions and similar things. The type of shielding which blocks lasers is known as ray shielding and is a different type of shield. But yeah it doesn't matter what source you look at -- all sources would credit a CR90 with having both types of shielding. Diplomatic ships could still be subject to attacks by pirates or mercs interested in ransoming out onboard dignitaries. Trafficking of slaves is also a galaxy wide enterprise.

I think you're missing the point here. The rebel alliance vs imperial faction era has always fit into the classic David vs Goliath paradigm. The rebels are outnumbered, outgunned, out-teched. They have to rely on cunning, top tier leadership, higher average skill levels and similar traits to have a chance of defeating the imperial faction. That's been the point since day one. If you expected the rebels to overwhelm the imperials via brute force I don't think that ever was going to be the plot line.

The battle of endor (VI) was a desperation attempt to destroy the 2nd death star before it could be used to destroy alliance support planets 1 by 1. The way the battle was portrayed visually in return of the jedi isn't accurate due to time, money and special FX constraints. The imperials have literally thousands of star destroyers, I think there were only a few hundred at Endor. The same with the rebels, they definitely would have had more than a few squadrons of fighters and a handful of capital ships. It was never meant to be a true to life portrayal.

In terms of intellectualism, let's wait a few more episodes of star wars rebels and see what they do with Thrawn's character. They haven't done too bad thus far. Maybe Zahny can pull it out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users