Dxgi_Error_Device_Removed

16 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:33 AM

So...today I'm trucking along as usual and mid match I get this error:

Posted Image

Everything is running just fine. I've had the gun running virtually non-stop for three days, and I've been playing on this particular rig for four months.

wtf?

#2 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

Game's back up and running now, but ALL my game settings have been reset. I don't get it...

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

Common issue in Cry engine based games. I've seen it mostly come across as a power issue, the GPU doesn't get enough power and the driver crashes.

It's a pretty bizarre issue, as you won't get that error in a different game not based on Cry Engine, try downclocking your GPU and see if it occurs again.

#4 DatGuyHigh

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

This has happened to me recently too. My PSU is more than sufficient to supply anything the GPU requires.

800 watt PSU and GeForce 560ti is the card

It's definitely game related because I have more demanding games where this does not occur.

#5 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

I know for a fact it's not hardware...I've been playing this game since it's release on hardware significantly inferior in every way to what I have now.

#6 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:37 PM

It only takes a momentary flicker of power instability to cause the GPU driver to crash.

But ok. Ask for help and dismiss it up to you.

#7 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:43 PM

It only takes a momentary flicker of power instability to cause the GPU driver to crash, just because the hardware is "upgraded" doesn't mean problems can't occur.

Swap the game from DX11 to DX 9 and see if the issue still occurs, if it doesn't it's because DX9 loads the CPU.

Your other options are to use DDU to uninstall reinstall drivers, and do a full install of DX.

View PostDatGuyHigh, on 16 August 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

This has happened to me recently too. My PSU is more than sufficient to supply anything the GPU requires.

800 watt PSU and GeForce 560ti is the card

You have a power hungry fermi card, and if it was all about the PSU claimed wattage we'd all be running diablotek 1KW PSU's

#8 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

Hmm, well, Cryengine has been known to be hard on systems, especially on graphics cards. If you up the voltage just a little bit on the GPU it might help. I mean really, just like one little bump. Maybe two. Don't max it out.

Conversely, you could lower the clockspeed by like 35MhZ on the core and 15MhZ on the memory and see if it helps instead of bumping up the voltage a notch. Either one of these should eliminate any ludicrously slight instability that may exist. It may be worthwhile testing this with more extreme values if it doesn't seem to help, something like 100MhZ less on the core and 50MhZ less on the memory.

I don't think Cryengine causes this for -no reason- but I also think that it has a certain way of handling things and freaks out faster than other engines do when interacting with OS user-layer and kernel-layer stuff for hardware items.

The other thing to look at is a complete clean-out of drivers before installing the latest available for your card. It's possible that's the issue. It's probably less likely, but it's definitely possible.

Hell, it could even be a bad bit in system RAM or your permanent storage medium of choice (HDD or SSD).

Claiming it isn't hardware because your current hardware is faster on paper is a very 2-dimensional argument that won't fly here, btw. We're mostly people that have been in technical positions all the way from tier 1 technical support to engineering jobs in this section of the forums. If you ask for help, we help. If you reject help on the notion that you're feeling 14 years old today, we just walk away and let you deal with it.

#9 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:31 AM

I also pointed out that this setup has been running the game for months...and I have never seen this error before despite having played extensively on vastly inferior setups. My previous setup was literally taxed because there wasn't enough wattage to run the video card properly. Proven, documented, never had a problem. This setup has a 1200w PSU running a GTX760.

Oderint dum Metuant...I've only seen the issue ONCE. How the hell is it dismissing your advice? It's not like I can tweak some settings, try it, and if it runs then "you were right". The game's running right now with no changes. Until the error becomes chronic changing stuff won't tell me or you anything.

#10 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 17 August 2016 - 05:31 AM, said:

I also pointed out that this setup has been running the game for months...and I have never seen this error before despite having played extensively on vastly inferior setups. My previous setup was literally taxed because there wasn't enough wattage to run the video card properly. Proven, documented, never had a problem. This setup has a 1200w PSU running a GTX760.

Oderint dum Metuant...I've only seen the issue ONCE. How the hell is it dismissing your advice? It's not like I can tweak some settings, try it, and if it runs then "you were right". The game's running right now with no changes. Until the error becomes chronic changing stuff won't tell me or you anything.

You have a problem.
You come to a hardware forum to ask for help.
People offer help based on their knowledge.
You dismiss that help with "it's not my hardware"

If only life were that simple, hardware develop faults sometimes these faults come early some times late into their lifetime.

As pointed out, this is an excessively common issue with Cryengine games, MWO is not unique to this error, it has occurred since the early Crisis days.

I love how people not just you keep coming back to the fact they have an over the top PSU, it doesn't matter that you have a 1.2KW PSU.
It can still fail, it can still develop a problem, there is so much more to a PSU than it's advertised wattage otherwise as i say if that's all it came down too, we'd all have 2KW diablotek PSU's..but we don't because some are made well, and others are trash.

Edited by Oderint dum Metuant, 17 August 2016 - 07:05 AM.

#11 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

Dude no one said parts can't fail. Suggesting possible reasons why a problem could have happened (as I did) is different that suggesting someone make changes to an existing system that has had a fault one time. How can I be sure the changes affected ANYTHING if the symptoms are not constantly present. Say I clock down the GPU and the problem doesn't happen again...is it because I clocked down the GPU or because there wasn't a problem to begin with?

Considering the game is working just fine now, and that all of my game settings have been reset, it's likely that it was an issue with the program itself and not hardware.

#12 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

Actually...

The game stores all of your configurable settings in a file, or a few files. If the game crashes and then when you bring it back up everything is reset to default, that could indicate that there was a write issue in your storage or RAM. RAM issues and HDD/SSD issues, when very minimal or even accidental in nature, are the types of things that happen one or twice and then you don't see them anymore or at least you don't see them for a decent amount of time.

You are correct that it could also indicate an issue with the application itself, but I'd think that if it were the application it would be a lot more prevalent than it is. We don't see it very often, and the issue has been observed most often in Cryengine based games when there are odd issues with hardware, be them major or very minor, so the application is definitely the less likely culprit.

We're not white knighting for the devs, we know this game still has a lot of issues. This just probably isn't one of them.

#13 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

Then that was likely my fault...I had to do a restart over a Win-10 update and took the opportunity to add a couple sticks of memory that have been waiting for such an occasion.

#14 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:05 PM

IIRC*, I had a similar issue. It turned out that I needed to boost the voltage on my RAM just a touch(+.05v) to get everything stable. Perhaps something similar has happened to you.

(*Note I can't remember the specific error I was getting, but that seems familiar.)

#15 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:12 PM

I think is related to the latest Nvidia drivers , updated yesterday and now i'm getting the same since an hour ago every 3/2 matches.

#16 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

Yes, that usually means the graphics driver crashed. The game can't handle that even if the drivers resume fast. On later WIndows there should be notification about drivers being reset.

And I have had them crash on Radeon, so it's not directly linked to nVidia only.

With my previous drivers I often had those driver crashes, I also tried setting power limit from GPU settins higher thinking maybe my card is getting old. But never I had game settings reset.
Such settings could reset if they are being written at the time of crash, but I would think settings are written to only during modifying them.
If you run the repair tool it will reset settings.

Also, it might be different from Steam install than standalone. I have standalone install. Maybe Steam install messes up or resets the settings at crash. If you have Steam try disabling online game data saving if it's an option, as the game account stuff is always on server anyway.

#17 Tooth Fairy

• Pip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFairyland

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:05 PM

I've had the same error occur usually right after starting the game, typically just once per session. Here's what I tried and what's helped improve the situation:

Casual warm up of the graphics card always reduced the number of crashes. Notice the initial load of the GPU in Mechlab or Lobby screen is higher than in game, about 70-99% vs 45-55%. On cold boot, my rig was typically destined to crash.

Not taking the most concurrent Nvidia driver. I'm running 347.25 on a Titan Black. Reduced crashes, no more hard boots (black screen) of the system. Nvidia stopped tuning the drivers for that particular card around the 355 version, which means no performance benefits from later versions anyways.

Using e.g. PrecisionX from EVGA to a) change the fan profile and B) downclock the GPU to consistently stay below 76°C under severe load and preventing the card from 'boosting'.

Alt-tabbing out of the lobby screen to reduce GPU usage from 99 to ~ 50%.

Investigating the voltage stability of your power supply. Look at the 5V and 12 V rails in the bios screen. Does it fluctuate? Do you hear strange noises from your power supply, e.g. clicking noises? Mine started doing that after around 3 years of service, so I swapped it out immediately. (1200W, Silverstone)

The jury is still out but no crashes after that so far.

Your mileage may vary. RAM or VRAM can be faulty as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users