28 replies to this topic

#1 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

If it matters, I'm using a Shadowhawk with some long-range (UAC5) but mostly short range (med lasers, SRM4s) weapons. It sounds like most people get seismic first, but maybe a defensive module like Radar Dep would be a better place to start?

#2 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:44 AM

No brainer. Radar Dep

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:53 AM

Def Radar Derp

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

if you have trouble with LRMs then get Radar Deprivation first, otherwise possibly get Seismic first, or another module which fits your playstyle.

I love the fact that LRMs are widely considered useless but Radar Deprivation which only really helps against LRMs is considered vital by so many players.
If LRMs are truly useless than why is radar dep important?

#5 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:13 AM

because it denies enemy info instantly. also, if you use it correctly, you know when an enemy has acquired you transiently due to the flashing and click when the lock is lost, even when you have not seen any enemy. this indicated an enemy is near.

for scouts, it also indicate that your presence has been known and it's time to GTFO. especially when you're moving and seismic doesn't work or the enemy is out of seismic range.

Radar Derp not just for LRMs. it's literally the most OP module in the game

Edited by knightsljx, 20 August 2016 - 05:14 AM.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 August 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

If LRMs are truly useless than why is radar dep important?

Because people chase targets on sensors, less time you are on sensors the safer you are.

However, seismic is #1 and radar derp #2 for me. Seismic is invaluable if you play shorter range builds.

Edited by Roughneck45, 20 August 2016 - 05:53 AM.

#7 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

Radar derp in my opinion. While I love both... I never leave home without radar derp!

Anytime I can deny my opponent my paper doll or dorito... I am in my special place!

Remember, radar derp isnt just a defensive module, its offensive too! It helps you fire uncontested more often when playing peekaboo. It helps you out manuever opponents better... Remember, when you drop off your enemies target, they have to reaquire again, any milasecond you can get, the better off you are. Information is power!

And of course, as an added bonus, its one of the counters that nulify LRMs.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

I am firmly in favour of seismic sensors first. I brawl, and on most maps, that means I need to hug cover just as much for longrange builds as for lrms.

That said, knowing where an enemy'll be before you hop out an go "Ooga Booga!" with your closerange mech melting weaponry? Solid choice.

~Leone.

#9 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Given that seismic only works when you are standing still, and I rarely ever stop moving, it just doesn't have near the value that radar deprivation has. That standing still part is something to keep in mind when considering seismic.

#10 Thoummim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

I barely ever use seismic, the info is mostly useless if you have a good spatial awareness and you have to be standing still, I wont mention the short range of it. On anything other than a light I see it as a waste. But that just my opinion apparently some people see it as still usefull so I may try to use it more.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

Seismic for me. The benefits of radar dep are much more apparent at higher levels of play, where seismic is useful always to anybody, IMO. For a new player, then, seismic.

#12 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostThoummim, on 20 August 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

I barely ever use seismic, the info is mostly useless if you have a good spatial awareness and you have to be standing still, I wont mention the short range of it. On anything other than a light I see it as a waste. But that just my opinion apparently some people see it as still usefull so I may try to use it more.

I do prefer seismic myself over the deprivation. When I get a new mech and I cannot equip both of them I always go for the seismic. Given almost all my mechs are for brawling or short range fights, being able to tell how many enemies and exactly where they are behind that corner/hill/wall without having to expose yourself is vital. 250m range the seismic has is just in the effective range of most of my builds so its perfect.

However for a long range sniper build I would pick the deprivation over the seismic.

#13 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

I don't drop without seismic. I will use radar derp only if I've got a slot for it.
In addition to knowing how many enemy are around the corner, it also allows you to know from which direction that pesky light mech is maneuvering and thus allow you to prepare a nasty surprise when he shows himself.

#14 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostWhiskey Dharma, on 20 August 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

If it matters, I'm using a Shadowhawk with some long-range (UAC5) but mostly short range (med lasers, SRM4s) weapons. It sounds like most people get seismic first, but maybe a defensive module like Radar Dep would be a better place to start?

1000% radar deprivation first

#15 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Go for Radar Dep first especially when grinding in Quick Play. Protection from lurmers and prevents enemy from getting info on you.

But if you are playing an ECM mech then you can get Advanced Seismic sensor instead of Radar Dep. Advanced Seismic Sensor will be a better first investment than Radar Dep as well if you decide to grind in Faction Play instead.

#16 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

In Tier 5, where LURMing is all the fashion, you want radar derp.

I immediately know it if I switch mechs and forget to transfer the derp. I like seismic but...

Here's a simple question, do you die more often a) from bathing in missile fire lobbed at you from the other side of the map or B) from getting pecked to death by some locust or raven or cheetah that likes to sneak behind you?

a=go radar derp
b=go seismic

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:22 AM

It depends on your play style.. Sniper/LRM, peak and poke and slower mechs.. get radar dep for me, Unless they have Dual AMS

If you are not doing that it can be worthless.. aka you are a brawler. Well maybe not worthless, but certainly not that important. It does take a sec longer to get of paper doll with out, But often you need time to cool anyway, or someone is moving into position, or you are moving to another spot to poke. Yes it drops you sooner, but if you delay your change of direction a second, they it is not known anyway.

Hit and run strikers, your mileage will vary.. I often rather have 360 targeting and info gathering if i am a pin-point mech,

I find radar dep works best for larger or slower mechs.

But often i like actually staying on radar when i have good cover,, because i can poke out, while they maintain lock, and keep firing away their LRM's wasting ammo, because as i watch them close i duck into cover.. take zero damage, and then peek out long enough for them to fire again.. I just hope for large launchers as it is much easier to chew through 2 tons of ammo when they are firing from triple 15's :P You'd be surprised how fast you can empty a LRM boat doing this.. Then they are easy kills.

as far as the click goes, you never know where that person is.. it could be someone with BAP+radar range and 1200m away.. That person is typically not the person i am worried about, besides i'm typically to busy and concentrating on other things to notice in the first place.. It's a brawlers life... You are more worried about getting someone else to help push, and where that ac20 is, than a sniper than may or may not have a bead on you. But for me, It's that darn 8SLP light that sneaks up behind ya when you are already weakened.. Those are the ones that ruin my day and that is where seismic fits in.

Seismic i find very helpful, even in lights, Stop at a corner, and get a blind look before moving around the corner.. sit at spots people are known to come around,, Or sit on a place that it covers, where you know people can move by, Over or under, ext.. you can stay hidden and relay all that info to the team,, hey 4 mechs just ran by X spot.. a place you might not have seen from your position.

If my mech is a faster one, without JJ's i will stuff in Hill climb first more often than not. the 75-95KPH, that is typically an unlock slot though..

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

The little information Radar Derp denies, is no where near as valuable as the information Seismic provides.

Short range build especially, need to go Seismic first.

Long range and snipers will more benefit from Derp first.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 20 August 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

If you had an assault, seismic.

Otherwise radar derp.

Will be honest though never used radar derp.

Seismic on the other end I have about four of them between some 200 mechs, each on slower assaults.

#20 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Knowing how many mechs are around a corner or over a hill is borderline cheating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users