28 replies to this topic

#21 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

As others have said, the priority is up to you - do you feel that you'll have more trouble with LRMs or people chasing you specifically, or with people sneaking around corners and behind you? If you brawl a lot, probably seismic is much better; if you're more at range, consider Radar Deprivation first.

Whichever way you decide, both modules are powerful choices and you won't be sorry you bought it.

#22 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:40 AM

always radar derp... anyway u'd get both eventually

#23 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

It's dependent on the mechs you drive.

If you're primarily using ECM mechs, then skip Radar Deprivation altogether. ECM already breaks locks. With ECM mechs, I'll tend to run Seismic first, and Target Info Gathering, once I've unlocked the second mech module slot.

If you're primarily using slower mechs, particularly if you're in a chassis that tends to get focused like a Mad Cat or any of the 100t assault mechs, then get Seismic first. It's more important to know what's around the corner, when you can't easily change directions than it is to break locks the moment you get back under cover.

If you're primarily using fast mediums or lights, then get Radar Deprivation first. Breaking locks is important, when you've stirred up the hornets' nest and need to get away (which is a lot of what faster mechs do). With Radar Deprivation, you ensure that once you've broken LOS, you can change direction, and anyone chasing you will only have their intuition to guide their pursuit.

#24 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the help, all. LRMs are pissing me off so I think I'll go with radar first.

#25 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

They're both useful but I'm of the opinion that Seismic is more important for my builds because I like brawling and Radar Depreciation can be mitigated with Target Decay. Some maps also have plenty of ways to use terrain to block LRMs so knowing where you can and can't go on a map that has an LRM-heavy enemy can help.

Except for my lights I'll usually go Seismic and use AMS until I can unlock the second module slot. For lights I go Radar Depreciation over Seismic.

This reminds me of a funny thing that happened on Frozen City with my Summoner. I was equipping dual AMS plus AMS Overload and I got the missile warning. I was behind a tall building so I didn't worry too much about it, but then the warning came again. For about 10 or 15 second I was getting the warning but not getting hit so I was thinking 'Why the heck is someone firing dozens of LRMs into the side of the building?' I then checked to see if I was NARCed and wasn't so I thought 'Wait, someone has to be seeing me if I'm not NARCed.' I turn 90 degrees to my left to see that about 600m away a light was firing what appeared to be dual LRM5s and my AMS had just been eating them up for the last 15 or so seconds.

#26 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

It's very simple.

Seismic for brawlers, radar dep for long ranges first.

When mastered, both.

If you're in a slow assault it's usually better to prioritize radar no matter the build, as you're not fast enough to break lock into cover and radar derp really helps here.

If using very long range builds I sometimes pick advanced zoom over seismic.

Edited by NeoCodex, 24 August 2016 - 02:50 AM.

#27 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

Radar derp first always imo. Seismic 2nd when you can afford it.

Especially now that the mini-map doesn't show direction movement arrows for facings.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 24 August 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#28 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

I'm going to go with a slightly different response than most here.

I find Seismic more useful than Radar Dep, but I fully concede it depends on your playstyle and that of your opponents. But here's my logic:

1. Not carrying Radar Deprivation will force you to become more aware of LRM's and will teach you good habits like staying near cover. Think of it as a skill development exercise.

2. Seismic is nearly essential to avoid walking blindly around that bad, bad corner. You know, the one where 3+ opponents are focusing their fire... You don't have to stay still for extended periods for it to work - a slight pause will do just fine in the vast majority of cases. It provides extremely valuable intel if you don't have teammates doing the spotting for you.

This especially applies if you're playing a short range light (e.g. small pulse cheetah) where you need to maneuver into position for an ambush without being seen, but absolutely need to know that you aren't about to accidentally pounce on 3 mechs when you thought there was only 1.

I view Radar Dep as a defensive crutch, in that it helps me recover from mistakes I have already made (i.e. being exposed and visible) while Seismic is a tool that makes me a more effective offensive force on the battlefield (i.e. giving me knowledge of nearby enemy locations to enable better positioning/ambushing). Since I favor tools over crutches, I go with Seismic first.

They are both very handy, though, and if you can afford/have slots for both, get both. I personally get Seismic first on just about everything. Granted, and not to sound elitist, but at higher tiers LRM's are not nearly as prevalent as they are for beginners, so that plays a role in my thinking as well. Even without Radar Dep, I rarely have that really bad LRM receiving experience. YMMV.

Edited by Khereg, 25 August 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#29 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Get radar derp if your a long range mech, but if your weapons are medium range to a brawler go with seismic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users