#1 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

From the patch notes:

"The Cyclops has arrived, and is now en-route to the MechBays of eligible MechWarriors. Though some of its variants are relatively under-armored compared to other Assault BattleMechs of a similar tonnage, the above-average top speed of the Cyclops combined with the inherent Sensor Range boost of 150m for itself - and 100m for any allies within its radius - suits the Cyclops chassis toward a focus on front-line command and support."

So inherent sensor range boost of 150m for you and 100m for your teammates makes up for a lack of armor? (I wont even get into the speed aspect) This has to rank up there with one of the dumbest things I've seen PGI say. And yes I know the armor can be maxed like other assaults, its the fact that PGI thinks sensor range matters.

Sensor range means 2 things in this game, jack and $hit.

I'm sorry, but if you think sensor range is better than armor for "front line command and support", you show a stunning ignorance of your own game. I know PGI is trying to convince us that the infowar actually plays a role in this game, but guess what, it really doesn't. The maps are way too small and way too predictable for it to play any significant role.

And no, I didn't buy the Cyclops, so I'm not salty bout the quirks or bonuses. I was just dumbfounded I guess, when I read that.

/rant off

Edited by ImyerHuckleberry, 20 August 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

...You'll be able to max-armor it if you want...

It just comes with rather thin armor STOCK.
In-canon, it was poorly protected, because it wasn't meant for front-line combat. It was a command mech.

The blurb in the patchnotes is somewhat of a nod to its LORE (with the crammed in bonuses to sensor range they made up)

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 20 August 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#3 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

For someone that's been playing this game since it's launch, as per your icon, you show a stunning lack of understanding how mechs' and their default "vanilla" loadouts. The text you quoted is simply referring to the Cyclops vanilla loadouts, as some of them (per the Battletech board game that this game is based off of) have less than max armor.

Fret not. You can max them to the same armor as any other 90 tonner. The "lore" snippet simply means that by default some varaints do not come w/ maxxed armor.

And yes, I'm being a bit harsh, but only because your post was so furiously written.

#4 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostWeaselball, on 20 August 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

For someone that's been playing this game since it's launch, as per your icon, you show a stunning lack of understanding how mechs' and their default "vanilla" loadouts. The text you quoted is simply referring to the Cyclops vanilla loadouts, as some of them (per the Battletech board game that this game is based off of) have less than max armor.

Fret not. You can max them to the same armor as any other 90 tonner. The "lore" snippet simply means that by default some varaints do not come w/ maxxed armor.

And yes, I'm being a bit harsh, but only because your post was so furiously written.

Its not the fact that you can max armor, its the fact that PGI thinks thats sensor range matters. I know you can max the armor, again, that wasnt the point.

Edited by ImyerHuckleberry, 20 August 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#5 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 20 August 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Its not the fact that you can max armor, its the fact that PGI thinks thats sensor range matters. I know you can max the armor, again, that wasnt the point.

Well since it's the MAIN UNIQUE ASPECT of the mech, it does matter...

Jesus...

#6 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Cut them some slack, Huck... they're just trying to add some fluff text.

#7 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 20 August 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

Well since it's the MAIN UNIQUE ASPECT of the mech, it does matter...

Jesus...

Except sensor range doesnt matter, so ya......

You buying the mech solely because of the sensor range buffs? Yeah, I didnt think so.

Edited by ImyerHuckleberry, 20 August 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#8 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, I feel like they chose the wrong mechanic for the B-2000 computer. Right now its usefulness revolves around the utility of >800 m sensor range. And that's just very, very situational. Maybe in that 1-in-100 lurm-fest game at Polar it'll make a real difference.

I wonder if they might attempt extending the B-2000 effects to target info gathering (i.e. quicker paper dolls to you, and to team mates near you). Now THAT would be universally useful. Assuming level of play where people hit R and look at the paper dolls.

#9 I R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 20 August 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

From the patch notes:

"The Cyclops has arrived, and is now en-route to the MechBays of eligible MechWarriors. Though some of its variants are relatively under-armored compared to other Assault BattleMechs of a similar tonnage, the above-average top speed of the Cyclops combined with the inherent Sensor Range boost of 150m for itself - and 100m for any allies within its radius - suits the Cyclops chassis toward a focus on front-line command and support."

So inherent sensor range boost of 150m for you and 100m for your teammates makes up for a lack of armor? (I wont even get into the speed aspect) This has to rank up there with one of the dumbest things I've seen PGI say.

Sensor range means 2 things in this game, jack and $hit.

I'm sorry, but if you think sensor range is better than armor for "front line command and support", you show a stunning ignorance of your own game. I know PGI is trying to convince us that the infowar actually plays a role in this game, but guess what, it really doesn't. The maps are way too small and way too predictable for it to play any significant role.

And no, I didn't buy the Cyclops, so I'm not salty bout the quirks or bonuses. I was just dumbfounded I guess, when I read that.

/rant off

It is apperently Obvious that devs do not play this game as much as any of us and if they do it is not in the same way. So I can see this sort of disconnect with the player base and its devs. Just release this power management patch exactly as it is int he public test server. Bring down the open matches to 4v4. That alone will save this game for us and reinvigorate interest in this game.

Edited by I R O N, 20 August 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#10 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Lurms, man. Lurms.

#11 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

OP, I think PGI means low armour on the stock mechs. I'm sure it will have the same amount of armour points as other 90 tonners

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

I wonder what combined sensor module, and bap would get ya. Another 400 m?

#13 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 20 August 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but if you think sensor range is better than armor for "front line command and support", you show a stunning ignorance of your own game.

Are you sure? Your OP makes it seem like you believe they are trading sensor range for armor.

#14 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cyclops The shortcomings of the Cyclops and it's thin armour were set in stone long before PGI re-released it. Blame the original game creators.

As for the sensor range boost, it's weak sure but at least it's something. Command consoles and infowar could use a full overhaul, but at the moment it's Energy Draw. Also, it's a free, weightless, costless buff and something that hasn't been tried before on any 'Mech - don't knock something like that, even if it's a placeholder. It could lead to better things in the future.

#15 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

View PostWeaselball, on 20 August 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

Are you sure? Your OP makes it seem like you believe they are trading sensor range for armor.

Your right and I have edited it accordingly.

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

I bet info warfare will make a return in some form some day.

Last time it was on test it was a bit heavy handed I think most agree. Maybe it will get an update some time.

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 August 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#17 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

There is one variant, the 10-q with 525 standard, so there is that. This is supposed to be fragile ish tho per lore. I know, I know, why stick with some things in this game per lore and not others, IE weapon damage , armor values etc. IDK flavor?

#18 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostRakshasa, on 20 August 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cyclops The shortcomings of the Cyclops and it's thin armour were set in stone long before PGI re-released it. Blame the original game creators.

As for the sensor range boost, it's weak sure but at least it's something. Command consoles and infowar could use a full overhaul, but at the moment it's Energy Draw. Also, it's a free, weightless, costless buff and something that hasn't been tried before on any 'Mech - don't knock something like that, even if it's a placeholder. It could lead to better things in the future.

Yeah except when has PGI payed any attention to lore?

#19 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

If it could detect and target ECM mechs an additional 100 meters away, that would be a very unique and useful ability.

They probably wanted to avoid P2W accusations, so they avoided making the special ability too strong. Now it's just a tiny nod to the lore, and it doesn't have any drawbacks.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 20 August 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#20 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostImyerHuckleberry, on 20 August 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yeah except when has PGI payed any attention to lore?

Man why did you remind me of the giant failing of this game to date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users