Returned Since Mw3

97 replies to this topic

#21 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hehe @ communication: This were about my thoughts when I first played World of Tanks. It is way better here in MWO, even in quickplay, and one of the few things MWO has in advance to technically better games.
If you just started, you are surely tier V. You’ll advance to tier III rather quickly, it slows down from there on. But in higher tiers communication is even better.

#22 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 August 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

You mention . .[snipped because I just wanted to reply]

Thank you Rogue Jedi for making it clear, and understandable.
and Panthers are even worse for scouting

I'm learning again, as I play. I'm trying to play like I never left, but I seem not able to remember things correctly.
I Shouldn't be making the rookie/Newbie mistakes with the past knowledge I once had. Yet I'm just as newb as someone who has never heard of MW, well kinda

As for the kitfox, and scouting . . I mainly choose Kitfox for the loadouts it came with, and as for scouting .. it's what I like doing (style of Play not so much the Chassis size)..the mentioning of the 2 wasn't intended as I like to Scout in the Kitfox, it was "right now I have a Kit Fox, and scouting.
I did realize after getting(using) it, that's not it's primary role, I just happen to play it like it is, because I don't have mech bays, and had already started the process of mastering. I'm just playing As if it never happened.
I don't know if I cleared up why I choose the kit fox, and use scouting in the same sentence

I should had noticed it's speed but for some odd reason I never noticed it's speed.

I'm going to play all the mechs, and then decide what fits me best . . well at least try to it that way

As for the VOIP part of the reply .. . ahh okay, . . But just why do I hear no one when I'm alive, then while in Spectator there are players talking.
That's what gave me the impression it could be set lance only

View PostKuaron, on 24 August 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

If you just started, you are surely tier V. You’ll advance to tier III rather quickly, it slows down from there on. But in higher tiers communication is even better.

Okay, see if I understand correctly,
what you're saying is, I'm limited to who I hear and can talk to ? due to my level or did I get what was said wrong

I mean if that's the case, that really bytes for someone wanting to learn while On the job or put into practice what they just read about. Communication shouldn't be limited that way

#23 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

on the mode selection . . do any have greater gains then the others. I mean if I doi a skirmish does that give a higher score then say I did Dominate . . is there any difference between modes and how scores are calculated

#24 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

With regards to VOIP, no your level has nothing to do with who you can hear, however higher tier players may be significantly better at communicating than T5 players.
As for payouts, there is not much in it between modes, but I believe diferant modes do have slightly diferant payouts to enchorage playing thr modes.
If you want the best possible earnings, stay in combat as long as possible, do lots of damage, stay with the team and survive while pursuing the objective.
If you win through completion the objective without much combat there is minimal payout, if you lost with 800 damage, a few kills and asstists and a variaty of other rewards like scouting, in formation, brawling and others you will get far better rewards than a non combat win

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 24 August 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#25 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

Okay thanks again Jedi

#26 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:49 AM

There is skill matchmaking, which means similar experience tiers (I–V) are matched with one another. If you that if a team starts communicating it mostly wins, well, guess which players advance to higher tiers. And there you find yourself in matches with those players.
On Tier III the rule that the one team where at least someone is talking wins doesn’t hold any more, btw, because on the one hand communication is less unusual and on the other people start knowing what to do without being commanded on their own.

#27 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

Sensor range does two things in this game: jack and $hit. Do not botter with this. Only real modules you need are radar derp and wallhack.

#28 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:09 AM

View PostNeoCodex, on 25 August 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

radar derp and wallhack.

http://metamechs.com...ot-skill-guide/

#29 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

Sensor range does two things in this game: jack and $hit. Do not botter with this. Only real modules you need are radar derp and wallhack.

Every module can be useful in the correct situation, for example I find Radar Deprivation and Seismic to be less useful than most other modules because I understand how to deal wuth LRMs without having to rely on the module and tend not to stop moving.
I do however realy like getting faster target info so I have several Mechs mounting Target Info Gathering, 360 target retention, BAP and Command Console for extremely fast target info (it seems near instant so way less than a second)

That works great for me in a few high speed brawler builds

If you are after building a scout ASR with BAP could be quite useful

Even Hill Climb, Shock Absorber and Speed Retention are useful,

The only modules I cannot see a valid use case for are arti and Air strike accuracy (they tighten the spread of the single strike you can bring)

#30 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostKuaron, on 25 August 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

There is skill matchmaking, which means similar experience tiers (I–V) are matched with one another. If you that if a team starts communicating it mostly wins, well, guess which players advance to higher tiers. And there you find yourself in matches with those players.
On Tier III the rule that the one team where at least someone is talking wins doesn’t hold any more, btw, because on the one hand communication is less unusual and on the other people start knowing what to do without being commanded on their own.

Ahh that explains the arrow up-arrow, down-arrow and equal Icons I See by experience level, at the end of the match.
and that statement one player made " ahh tier five, old memories "
I was seeing a lot of down arrows, was afraid I was going to end up as Tier six Posted Image

#31 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 25 August 2016 - 04:09 AM, said:

Awesome thank you for that link

#32 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 August 2016 - 08:46 AM, said:

Every module can be useful in the correct situation, for example I find Radar Deprivation and Seismic to be less useful than most other modules because I understand how to deal wuth LRMs without having to rely on the module and tend not to stop moving.
I do however realy like getting faster target info so I have several Mechs mounting Target Info Gathering, 360 target retention, BAP and Command Console for extremely fast target info (it seems near instant so way less than a second)

That works great for me in a few high speed brawler builds

If you are after building a scout ASR with BAP could be quite useful

Even Hill Climb, Shock Absorber and Speed Retention are useful,

The only modules I cannot see a valid use case for are arti and Air strike accuracy (they tighten the spread of the single strike you can bring)

This. Very much. When you're a little teeny tiny Locust or Commando running around, how much are you going to benefit from having Seismic instead of Mark One Eyeball and ASR? And sometimes with those, Shock Absorber and Hill Climb are essential for getting out really quick. Arti and Air Strike upgrades are pretty useless for that, because most of the time, somebody is running a Lyran scout Mech dropped from orbit. :P

On a sidenote, @Xaat, I've not run a Kitfox ever. So I'm not going to be a good authority on this, but I think you might get a blast out of running a Commando or a Locust. There's something hilarious about running fast and being too small for Assaults to generally target easily if you're standing right next to their leg.

#33 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

yes I tried a commando the first day . . wasn't sure about that, and last night I tried the locust . . well bought a couple and ran them to see if it's my flavor. undecided sofar

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Question:
[1] if I play on the trial mechs . . then later decide to buy one, will the XP earned during the trial time still count after buy/Own ?
Does it carry over or will I be starting fresh again?

[2] is the Adder, is that the Cougar of MW3, I mean I recall something about the cougar being the remake of something, was that it ?

. I was a cougar fan and piloted the hell out of 'em, it was one of my favorite mechs to pilot
oh and any lore I knew was only from those days, I have no time on Battletech so my bad if I get things wrong, blame it on MW2 & 3, and that I pretty much forgotten the lore.
These days I just press buttons to see what happens, maybe later then read the story

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 25 August 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#34 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

The XP question is a little interesting -- I'm actually not sure. I have this sleep-deprived memory that if Trial model Mech XP traverses straight to you if you purchase said model with C-Bills. Smarter and more awake people can tell you if I got it right or wrong.

Also, as a Cougar fan from previous games, I get what you mean. It's just that with this being the beginning of the Clan Invasion Cougars aren't kind of the commodity I personally like them to be either. Posted Image

Don't worry about lore. This is supposed to be fun. So do have fun, enjoy, and don't be afraid to ask questions. It's BattleTech, and as much as there is lore, there is also the bottom line of...

...well.

Blowing stuff up like a gleeful 31st century feudal armsman.

Edit:

Addendum, Adder/Puma is actually the precursor for Cougar. It's an earlier design. Check out http://sarna.net if you ever get curious.

Edited by Wintercycle, 25 August 2016 - 08:32 PM.

#35 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:43 PM

You do earn XP on trial Mechs, which will be waiting for you if you ever buy that variant, and just to clarify if you earn XP on the SDR-5K(C) when it is a trial Mect you can spend that on the SDR-5K or SDR-5K(C)
For XP purposes any letter in brackets is ignored

#36 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:47 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 August 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

You do earn XP on trial Mechs, which will be waiting for you if you ever buy that variant, and just to clarify if you earn XP on the SDR-5K(C) when it is a trial Mect you can spend that on the SDR-5K or SDR-5K(C)
For XP purposes any letter in brackets is ignored

that's awesome news, good to hear that the xp banks,

View PostWintercycle, on 25 August 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

The XP question is a little interesting -- I'm actually not sure. I have this sleep-deprived memory that if Trial model Mech XP traverses straight to you if you purchase said model with C-Bills. Smarter and more awake people can tell you if I got it right or wrong.

Also, as a Cougar fan from previous games, I get what you mean. It's just that with this being the beginning of the Clan Invasion Cougars aren't kind of the commodity I personally like them to be either. Posted Image

Don't worry about lore. This is supposed to be fun. So do have fun, enjoy, and don't be afraid to ask questions. It's BattleTech, and as much as there is lore, there is also the bottom line of...

...well.

Blowing stuff up like a gleeful 31st century feudal armsman.

Edit:

Addendum, Adder/Puma is actually the precursor for Cougar. It's an earlier design. Check out http://sarna.net if you ever get curious.

Thanks for the link,
I will check it, later, just not right now I want to finish getting basic skills on this enforcer done

#37 Reality Dysfunction

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 81 posts
  • Locationcockpit or bar... UK

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:44 AM

Welcome back to MW!

Been running around in a group (getting our butts kicked sometimes handing it out other times) for the last couple of evenings with some good people. You'll be welcome to join us I'm sure.

I'll not be on till late (UK time) but I'll try to rememeber to look out for you and if you're about, I'll send you an invite if you want.

Good hunting!

#38 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:12 AM

View PostReality Dysfunction, on 26 August 2016 - 02:44 AM, said:

Welcome back to MW!

Been running around in a group (getting our butts kicked sometimes handing it out other times) for the last couple of evenings with some good people. You'll be welcome to join us I'm sure.

I'll not be on till late (UK time) but I'll try to rememeber to look out for you and if you're about, I'll send you an invite if you want.

Good hunting!

I just have the NA server selected. Not sure if it was you, the name looks familiar , but we might had teamed once

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I had decided to move from Light to medium mechs, I need better scores, almost done with the Enforcers, done with one Blackjack,. actually the BJ was my first one, which I did before the lights,

I'm getting the cheapest ones, first, no matter what their loadouts are, . . . eh another way to learn the different weapon groups. I don't have enough items yet to change the load outs, like this BJ I am playing with now, comes with flamers, not doing so good with that one, the flamers are useless to me right now,
So far I called out the shut down mech to never seeing a missile drop on them. also missed calling it out sometimes
I'm too antsy to sit and wait , maybe with this mech will break me of being that way . . . eh doubt it, I like shooting things Posted Image

#39 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

Nice to hear you're enjoying the game!

If you're moving to mediums, I'd like to recommend something. There's some weird magic that can be done with a Centurion AH. Sadly, very ammo dependent, but even with XL Engines Centurions are surprisingly tough if you remember to use your left arm as a shield, and the amount of perks the chassis gets for extra internal structure is wonderful. BAP is also extra useful if you try to still call targets. :P

Also, yeah, Flamers are kind of not worth it. I think someone already said that people tend to go for maps with cool climates.

#40 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

Interesting you mentioned Centurion . . I think that was going to be my third mech to work on, to reach medium mastery

I had forgot to include in my post, where I said Flamers are useless to me right now, Since my intent was not meant to say flamers are useless, just at my current skill level, I'm useless with flamers.
Cool or warm maps, Flamers can be devastating in the Lance arsenal, but need to make sure there is a plan, when there is a Flamer in your lance

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

kinda wished I had air strike, or artilery
was in a match, where I my weapons were destroyed, I had nothing, they were making a push, did the only thing I could think of, (But works better if you have a weapon to use) I was out of sight, so did the shut down play possum, watched the lance walk by, then power on come from behind. If I had airstrike or artillery, would had been sweet, since they were very tight, close together, well having weapons even better . . but, I didn't , so I ran in the middle of them, so that could crossfire into each other, hoping it gave the one other team mate to get some distance or readjust, It was just us last 2.
It wasn't the match where I could take their base.
had something similar happen later, but I just had no ammo, and someone said to cap their base then, it'll distract them
but that mech ran so slow, they killed they remaining enemies and reached the enemy base before me, even though I had a good head start Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users