97 replies to this topic

#41 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Flamers are, in fact, still useful, if not as awesome since the nerfening. The thing to remember about 'em is they'll never send someone above, like, ninety percent heat.

Thing is, everyone can only handle so much heat. It, besides armour, is truely the resource on which we all ride when inna brawl. The winner can be decided by better heat management, or accidental shutdowns, amongst other things.

So, when brawling, you can use flamers for an early heat boost to your opponent, giving you an edge in the heat management game, let it cool for a bit, an blast em again whilest they're recycling for another attack on ya keepin' em from gettin' cool. Timed well, or fired on the unsuspecting whilest they're distracted, could get you an easy mark with a poorly timed shutdown on their end.

Of course, I've been hit by three flamer mechs before an managed to foil them by way of not firing. Great for suppression, but you should bring some real people weaponry.

I do miss the awesome flamers though. I've a few forlorn mech builds sitting dormant since then.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 26 August 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#42 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:43 AM

I don't really recall, but I think I had troubles playing flamers in MW3 as well, they're just not me.
although I have been in teams where they were quite effective, but it was a team thing

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

well it looks like at the rate I'm gaining pilot skill, I might reach Tier 4 in 4 to 5 days.

no premium time any more so it might be slower.
done with enforcers, and on the 3rd BJ. I keep eyeing those Centurions, and I think those will be the 3rd medium to play.

This 3rd BJ is getting me higher damage scores, it's the BJ-1, I dropped the JJ's, and added more Ammo, and replaced one of the medium lasers with a Med Pulse laser.. That also allowed me to up some of my armor points.
Don't care getting placed in Alpha Lance, I can't stay with them, so I just run to Charley lance and stay with them, well try to.. I tend to wander away sometimes, not paying attention where the lance or team is.

I still step over the hills into a enemies Circle jerk, but getting better getting out, like slowly peak over before just running over the hill. sometimes I'm just getting chased and get turned around and end up running smack into their Bravo and Charley lance , when that happens I try to remember to look where I am, and report, because I won't be getting back,

#43 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

How is the damage score tallied ?

I'm guessing a kill adds a lot, even if you hit once (not a one shot, just the kill shot).
it's one thing that bugs me on the score, I do a lot of damage, but my score reflects differ. is the visual graphics of me hitting just a tease ?! making me feel like I'm hitting,
If I miss I want to see I had missed, but if I'm hitting 80% of my shots, I would like my damage score to reflect that, and the visual if I am hitting or missing.
I mean sometimes I don't get much hits in, and have a high score, sometimes a lot of hits and a very low score.

to me something is not right, my Weapon Statistics say I'm 72%, but my score reflects something more like 7%, going through 2 tons of AC2 , and only seeing 64 damage, but yet my statistics show 72% . . what gives ???
There are times it will show my damage score as someone hitting 72%

oh and yes the recital is red

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 27 August 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#44 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

Range? I personally pay no mind to stats. Didn't even know we had em for the first many months.

That said, if your outside of optimal range, you can hit but deal negligible damage. With most weapons. Missiles are all or nothing. I would check your ranges.

~Leone.

#45 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

I edited in late, I wait for red recital , I thought once it's red you are in range,and on target. I also look at the range, there are some times I do fire when they're out of range, but that is just more of a " I see ya" shot.

just find it unpleasant looking at the scores at the end finding you have dealt the lowest damage, knowing emptying a ton of ammo in someones back, to barely see any damage on them and the score reflects that.

Wonder if there is some latency, while I'm seeing the hits, but actually I'm more like shooting beside them
Maybe some of those are misses, that look like are hits, . . strange with the stats though if that was the case

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 27 August 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#46 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:01 AM

Oh my . . . the wait penalty for your team mates running in front of you while your firing
should be the other way around, they should have to wait

ETA: forgot to add . . done with the Blackjacks and Enforcers in Basic, working on third medium, the Centurion. first one would be the least I would like, so my first willl be training

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 28 August 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#47 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:40 AM

was just in a match where I could not target one of the enemy till they was within 10meters. What was they using to do that ?

and they never shown on the radar, the whole time.

I have no skills for improved radar or sensors, just wondering what they had . . I want it

Edited by Xaat Xuun, 28 August 2016 - 12:42 AM.

#48 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:43 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 27 August 2016 - 02:22 PM, said:

How is the damage score tallied ?

damage is tallied based solely on how much damage you do, in your stats it is based on the number of times you hit with that weapon, so it is possible to have 100% accuracy but only do 20% of the max possible damage, a laser does damage in ticks, there are a number of ticks to each lasers burn time, if you just graze a target on 1 tick that counts as a hit but will do little damage.

I'm guessing a kill adds a lot, even if you hit once (not a one shot, just the kill shot).

kills and assists do not add to damage, they are recorded separately.
you can literaly get a kill with 0 damage

it's one thing that bugs me on the score, I do a lot of damage, but my score reflects differ. is the visual graphics of me hitting just a tease ?! making me feel like I'm hitting,

the visual of you hitting is not always accurate, this game uses a form of lag compensation called host state rewind, it is possible for it to look like you are hitting but the server to think it was a miss or the player was behind cover, the red flash of the recitule is supposed to tell you when you hit.

If I miss I want to see I had missed, but if I'm hitting 80% of my shots, I would like my damage score to reflect that, and the visual if I am hitting or missing.
I mean sometimes I don't get much hits in, and have a high score, sometimes a lot of hits and a very low score.

to me something is not right, my Weapon Statistics say I'm 72%, but my score reflects something more like 7%, going through 2 tons of AC2 , and only seeing 64 damage, but yet my statistics show 72% . . what gives ???
There are times it will show my damage score as someone hitting 72%

oh and yes the recital is red

if you are firing at beyond optimum range you do less damage, take for example the AC20, optimum range is 270m, max range is 540m, if you fire at 283.5m and hit you will do 19 damage, at 405m you would do 10, at 539 you would do 0.07 damage, missiles blow up at the limits of optimum range.

if you use Missiles or LBX ACs they spread, if you fire towards optimum range some of the shells/missiles are likely to miss so it will show a hit but you could have missed with 3/4 of the shells/missiles

lasers fire a beam which has to be held on target to deal full damage, if you miss with a portion of the lasers burn time you miss that portion of the lasers damage

#49 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 28 August 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

was just in a match where I could not target one of the enemy till they was within 10meters. What was they using to do that ?

and they never shown on the radar, the whole time.

I have no skills for improved radar or sensors, just wondering what they had . . I want it

firstly you can only see Mechs in front of you, within your line of sight, so if a Mech can get close to you using cover you will never see them on sensors

if you had line of sight then they were probably protected by ECM, Mechs under ECM can only be targeted at relitavely short range, but I think you can target them from something like 180m (as opposed to the usual 800), a Mech with an ECM puts out a 90m radius bubble, making it harder to target any Mech within range.

there are several ways to counter ECM, they are TAG, a 1 ton laser pointer with a 750m range, while that is held on an enemy Mech it is targetable, does not work if the Mech mounting it is within the enemy ECM bubble, also speeds missile lock time

Active Probe, AP (Beagle or Clan) gives an extra 200m sensor range, shortens time to target info (but does not speed missile lock), allows you to detect shut down Mechs within 90m, and counters a single enemy ECM within 240m

NARC, a NARC missile will shutdown ECM on a Mech it hits for upto 30 seconds, however if the enemy has a second ECM within range that will shut down the NARC

UAV, a UAV launches directly above where you are standing, it detects Mechs and counters ECM within range, you can earn a lot of XP and a fair amount of Cbills from a well placed UAV provided the enemy do not shoot it down too quickly

#50 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:13 AM

oh . . well this guy was closer then 90m, and in line of sight
when I first saw him or her, they were on the hill next to me, just running by, but I could not aim high enough, and that hill was 8m away, so I would say at the most they could had been 18m away, they were just in the open most of the time, had no fear of being seen, or targeted.
well dang I was hoping it was something I could have used. Sounds to me that was a hack.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I had one UAV, but I don't think it was a waste, just I don't think the team took advantage of it, saw 3 mechs coming from behind, well one that turned into 3, launched the uav, in time before I died, the dying part wasn't planned. just got lucky getting it launched before going down.
while in spectator, I was looking where I launched that UAV, and there was more then 3 mechs there Posted Image

#51 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:42 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 August 2016 - 08:46 AM, said:

Every module can be useful in the correct situation, for example I find Radar Deprivation and Seismic to be less useful than most other modules because I understand how to deal wuth LRMs without having to rely on the module and tend not to stop moving.

Light mech pilot detected.

#52 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

View PostMOBAjobg, on 28 August 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

Light mech pilot detected.

Yeah, we get around.

Also, re: flamers, I have to admit that the nerfening on them was kind of called for, but yeah. They have their use. Just not my cup of tea when you're getting blasted from all directions and could just use medium lasers for a leg kablooey.

View PostXaat Xuun, on 28 August 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

oh . . well this guy was closer then 90m, and in line of sight
when I first saw him or her, they were on the hill next to me, just running by, but I could not aim high enough, and that hill was 8m away, so I would say at the most they could had been 18m away, they were just in the open most of the time, had no fear of being seen, or targeted.
well dang I was hoping it was something I could have used. Sounds to me that was a hack.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I had one UAV, but I don't think it was a waste, just I don't think the team took advantage of it, saw 3 mechs coming from behind, well one that turned into 3, launched the uav, in time before I died, the dying part wasn't planned. just got lucky getting it launched before going down.
while in spectator, I was looking where I launched that UAV, and there was more then 3 mechs there Posted Image

UAVs are never a waste in my opinion. I've had matches with close to no damage done, and then my team laughing it off when the opposing team called me useless. Some nice person went far enough to say "Yeah, sure, he got killed in his Wolfhound, but guess what? He popped a UAV before he died, doing zero damage, and we got an idea of where your people were." I think we lost the match, but I cemented for me that UAVs are essential for any Light or Medium. You've got the right idea, I think, about how to use Mediums -- either you're cavalry with firepower or you're making sure none of us harassers end up introducing shanks to your team's back.

Edit:

It sounds a lot like they had a lot of ECM going on. I've been frustrated on a few occasions when I can _see_ these people with Mark One Eyeball but can't target them even with ASR. ECM range is 90m, and the more ECM they have stacked up, even counter ECM won't work. That's where UAVs trump the situation, though.

Edited by Wintercycle, 28 August 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#53 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

Ahh man . . yeah . . .just confused about how close they need to be before I can lock.

a couple matches after I made that post, pretty much same thing happened,
I did laugh hard and out loud.
was coming over a hill, just as I was cresting so was an enemy, so doubt they saw me on radar as well, because we both paused, for a second, then remembered to start shooting , we literary ran into each other..

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

One centurion down, 2 to go.
wow . . these things twist and turn and speed up and slow down like a snail. SLOOooooow
when I unlocked the twisting and boost skills it helped, but daaaaang they be slow to stop and start and twist. Maneuvering is not their forte.

OK, from reading other posts , and reading the requirement description, on my road to mastery. I might have misinterpret them.
I thought I needed 3 different mechs of the same weight class, to unlock Master. but when I read it, I just need 3 different Variants of the same weight class, and seems to me, if you're need to do 3 variants of the same mech chassis, to unlock expert, isn't that also 3 variants of the same weight class ?
So did I need to do 3 different Mechs of the same weight class, or just the one (with 3 different variants) with expert unlocked to unlock master ?

#54 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostWintercycle, on 28 August 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

You've got the right idea, I think, about how to use Mediums -- either you're cavalry with firepower or you're making sure none of us harassers end up introducing shanks to your team's back.

have to contribute that from my MW2/3 days. I have forgotten a lot though.
To me some of the Heavy and Assault users don't know how to play them, but that may just be me. They are probably playing them right for this version of MW and the Game.
I was bad with Assaults in MW2/3, but here in MWO, have no losses when I'm in a Assault (most likely good team and pure luck Posted Image )
I know I'm not picking up where I left off at, My Skill seems to reflect I have never piloted a mech before. I feel I have retain some of the knowledge from the past. but maybe not enough.

#55 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 28 August 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Ahh man . . yeah . . .just confused about how close they need to be before I can lock.

a couple matches after I made that post, pretty much same thing happened,
I did laugh hard and out loud.
was coming over a hill, just as I was cresting so was an enemy, so doubt they saw me on radar as well, because we both paused, for a second, then remembered to start shooting , we literary ran into each other..

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

One centurion down, 2 to go.
wow . . these things twist and turn and speed up and slow down like a snail. SLOOooooow
when I unlocked the twisting and boost skills it helped, but daaaaang they be slow to stop and start and twist. Maneuvering is not their forte.

OK, from reading other posts , and reading the requirement description, on my road to mastery. I might have misinterpret them.
I thought I needed 3 different mechs of the same weight class, to unlock Master. but when I read it, I just need 3 different Variants of the same weight class, and seems to me, if you're need to do 3 variants of the same mech chassis, to unlock expert, isn't that also 3 variants of the same weight class ?
So did I need to do 3 different Mechs of the same weight class, or just the one (with 3 different variants) with expert unlocked to unlock master ?

Here's a little quirk for you. Torso twist depends on how fast your engine is -- so if you're running a slow Standard Engine on something, it'll turn slower than an XL Engine of the same class. If your Centurions are running at, say, 64kph, their turning speed is going to be equally slow. I've once run one with an XL engine that had around 81 kph, and the maneuvering was a lot smoother. This scales on all 'Mechs, too, aside from quirks built into the chassis. But I do agree that Cents are not exactly dancing ballet! Same with Hunchbacks, which brings me to..

re: Mastery? It's not weight class. It is dependent on you mastering variants of the same 'Mech. I've only got Hunchbacks done for that reason. So you'll need to run three variants of the same chassis to get everything unlocked. I've not bothered much with that, because it seems a bit arbitrary to me.

View PostXaat Xuun, on 28 August 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

have to contribute that from my MW2/3 days. I have forgotten a lot though.
To me some of the Heavy and Assault users don't know how to play them, but that may just be me. They are probably playing them right for this version of MW and the Game.
I was bad with Assaults in MW2/3, but here in MWO, have no losses when I'm in a Assault (most likely good team and pure luck Posted Image )
I know I'm not picking up where I left off at, My Skill seems to reflect I have never piloted a mech before. I feel I have retain some of the knowledge from the past. but maybe not enough.

Hah! Yeah, I can tell you, I'm not very good with Assault or Heavies. And neither are many Tier 5 people for that matter. It's always a little amusing when they expect Lights and Mediums to run into the fire, stick around cover with their huge armor and weaponry themselves and then call the team useless. Recently saw a guy say exactly that. He was in a Direwolf, taking cover and shooting, never coming to anyone's help...

...and then lambasted the rest of the team by saying "I did 1000+ damage? You all are useless compared to me."

At which point the entire rest of the team, who had been watching him barely have a scratch and had been asking him to get out of cover and help the team, fell silent in disbelief. We did tell him off. (I might have used some stronger words than the others.)

So yeah, there's interesting people out there. But keep doing what you're doing -- you seem to be doing well!

#56 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

Oh wow . . okay . .you don't know how that makes me feel . . knowing someone else seeing what I see.

In most cases (at least where I am in the game) , those high damage, is just that, self glory and no team work, if they win the game playing that way, cool, but it sucks for the rest of the team.

getting to were I'm making less newbie mistake, some parts of the day/night, the team expects you know what they're doing, and never communicate their intentions. Those usually are the one that voice what everyone else was doing wrong . . I don't say any thing, but they are SOOOooo wrong . . if they had a plan, then they should had shared it, there are many tactics, and strategies, but if not everyone is one the same page . . it's not going to work. No matter how sound and good it is.

When those complain about how everyone did something wrong . . well if they saw that was happen they should had said something when they saw it happening to correct it before it got worse, instead of after and then calling everyone incompetent
And on the same note, seeing a plan failed, is not to get upset but, do to your best to win, not run and hide then shut down . . had that happen twice now

#57 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

This! Exactly! Don't let those nutters blame you. You're trying to make it work for the team. People like we've mentioned, not so much.

So keep up the good work!

#58 Rerednaw

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostXaat Xuun, on 28 August 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

Oh wow . . okay . .you don't know how that makes me feel . . knowing someone else seeing what I see.

In most cases (at least where I am in the game) , those high damage, is just that, self glory and no team work, if they win the game playing that way, cool, but it sucks for the rest of the team.

getting to were I'm making less newbie mistake, some parts of the day/night, the team expects you know what they're doing, and never communicate their intentions. Those usually are the one that voice what everyone else was doing wrong . . I don't say any thing, but they are SOOOooo wrong . . if they had a plan, then they should had shared it, there are many tactics, and strategies, but if not everyone is one the same page . . it's not going to work. No matter how sound and good it is.

When those complain about how everyone did something wrong . . well if they saw that was happen they should had said something when they saw it happening to correct it before it got worse, instead of after and then calling everyone incompetent
And on the same note, seeing a plan failed, is not to get upset but, do to your best to win, not run and hide then shut down . . had that happen twice now

Hey 2X i just rejoined the game from beta and have had the same experiences...HPG map after map, radio silence, and PUGs whose POA is well 'Plan Peanut Butter' a.k.a spread out and get defeated in detail. That said don't give up. I find if I call out "Targeting Echo, Locust, E5, 70% CT" I get more responses. Be specific, and don't fret if no one comes, maybe they just walked into the other teams firing line by mistake. I have had a few PUGs where once I broke the comm ice we started working as a team and that is extremely rewarding. Running basic IS mechs mainly mediums...

I also know my MW1-4 skills do not translate well into MWO. I used to take headshots, but the hitboxes in this game are fluid with patches and vary.

Keep at it and welcome to the game. And I do my best to try to remember it is a game. GL HF and pew pew.

I off and on evenings Pacific fime if you want a friend to commiserate with in T5 or in spectate mode :)

#59 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:19 AM

oh wow . . I made a mistake some where, I was up to 14.2k EXP, I just glanced at it, and down to 5.5k EXP . . that sucks, Only thing I could think I spent it on was Mech skills And it couldn't been mech skills, since that just takes XP., it's the only thing I spent any thing on that I can recall . . I don't even know when almost 8k disappeared, just something I just now noticed . . . damn that sucks

there was one time I was going to get some UAV, but decided not to . .. oh the pain . . The PAin

#60 Willowleaf

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:44 AM

View PostRerednaw, on 28 August 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Hey 2X i just rejoined the game from beta and have had the same experiences...HPG map after map, radio silence, and PUGs whose POA is well 'Plan Peanut Butter' a.k.a spread out and get defeated in detail. That said don't give up. I find if I call out "Targeting Echo, Locust, E5, 70% CT" I get more responses. Be specific, and don't fret if no one comes, maybe they just walked into the other teams firing line by mistake. I have had a few PUGs where once I broke the comm ice we started working as a team and that is extremely rewarding. Running basic IS mechs mainly mediums...

This. So much. Can't put it better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users