Opinion Question

58 replies to this topic

#1 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

Hello! Pleasure to meet everyone.

I noticed there is already a thread asking for advice in buying a first mech. I really didnt want to start another and make you guys repeat everything.

My question is = Which mech, in your opinion, made the best transition from TT/lore to the battlefields of MWO?

Background info -- I wore out the old Mechwarrior snes game, (srm spam FTW!) then became interested in the lore of the Battletech universe. I Played the tabletop game a few times with friends and bought MW 2 and 4 because I liked the SNES version so much. I never played a MW game against any other players until now. I learned the basics of mech movement/fighting from them though.

I like the training academy they put in this game. I used every mech available to try different classes. I really like the Catapults they had.

I chose a name that I hoped would be memorable, while also showing that I do not take myself too seriously.

Edited by SpootieBloot, 23 August 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:01 AM

View PostSpootieBloot, on 23 August 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

My question is = Which mech(s), in your opinion, made the best transition from TT/lore to the battlefields of MWO?

Hello!

Inner Sphere or Clan?

Light? Medium? Heavy? Assault?

#3 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:14 AM

Yes :)

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

View PostSpootieBloot, on 23 August 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

Yes

Well, if you have nothing else ...

#5 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

I apologize. I thought you were asking if my question encompassed all of those categories.

I didnt mean for anyone to make a list or anything so tedious. I just changed the question and limited it to one mech.

When compared to lore; I noticed some of the mechs in this game look nothing like their lore versions. I just wondered which one stayed closest. In peoples opinions.

Maybe it is a stupid question. It was interesting to me to look around in the store and see all of the mechs available. I noticed the Jagermech doesnt have the barrel shaped chest the older one has.

Edited by SpootieBloot, 23 August 2016 - 04:31 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

View PostSpootieBloot, on 23 August 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

I apologize. I thought you were asking if my question encompassed all of those categories.

I didnt mean for anyone to make a list or anything so tedious. I just changed the question and limited it to one mech.

When compared to lore; I noticed some of the mechs in this game look nothing like their lore versions. I just wondered which one stayed closest. In peoples opinions.

Maybe it is a stupid question. It was interesting to me to look around in the store and see all of the mechs available. I noticed the Jagermech doesnt have the barrel shaped chest the older one has.

So if the question is which ones kept the most of their original appearance into MWO...

Orion. Hands down the Orion is the mech that looks the closest to the original.

Hunchback also comes close, more blocky in translation rather than rounded on arms. Otherwise near perfect (PGI didn't pick up that drum is for ammo and is CT rear for 4SP). Blackjack too.

Terms of play... I'm afraid maybe none truly fit their TT unless playing stock only

#7 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:34 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 August 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

So if the question is which ones kept the most of their original appearance into MWO...

Hunchback also comes close, more blocky in translation rather than rounded on arms. Otherwise near perfect (PGI didn't pick up that drum is for ammo and is CT rear for 4SP). Blackjack too.

Terms of play... I'm afraid maybe none truly fit their TT unless playing stock only

That was what I meant. I am really sorry that I didnt make that clearer. Thank you. Thank you also to Martian for trying to help with my poorly worded question.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

I confess when I read the original post I thought you meant in terms of actually playing like it's source counterpart. Sadly few if any manage to fit with their source material in terms of how you would actually use it in a fight. (Example, Dragons are brawling machines with decent speed and insane tank ability. In MWO they feel rater fragile but excel at hit-and-run and fire support. This is because rather than forcing some normalising between stock armor and max armor so the ratio between all mechs is maintained, they allowed tabletop mech creation rules with a few of their own, rather than tabletop campaign mech customization rules...which would have kept the unique flavors, perks and issues of each mech intact).

Some groups do stock only fights with the option to turn off quirks in private matches. My honest opinion the best gameplay you can get out of MWO is in these stock-only fights. So much more skill involved and advanced controls mean that much more.

...side note:. Hunchbacks and Centurions have managed to keep their use in MWO very similar to that of tabletop. So there is that.

Oh and you're welcome. Sorry was late to say it. :)

#9 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

My last post for today.

The Hunchback seemed to me like it looked pretty close. I ran it in the academy and loved the ac20 against target mechs. Even against undamaged components it would tear shtuff up. I will have to check out the Orion also.

I really liked the two Catapults in the academy, but are they and the Hunchbacks good mechs to fight with online? I used the Battlemaster trial (definitely NOT stock built, but awesome) to start with and followed an Atlas and King Crab around.

Thank you all for the responses.

#10 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 August 2016 - 05:58 AM, said:

I tend to run my Hunchies very close to stock armaments. They're such "blunt instruments" in TT already, with (mostly) massed short-range armaments, that that's really what you'll want to do in MWO as well Posted Image

For example, all I do with my HBK-4G and HBK-4SP is "superstock" them to "3050 spec" with DHS, Endo, Ferro. I put the freed tonnage towards a 250-rated engine and more ammo. I could technically switch the head laser to a medium, but the small laser humours me. Posted Image

Very much the same old hunchie, and they do well.

#11 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

IMO it's the Archer and the Dragon. The Archer slings LRM and can defend itself when things get close, which fits my view of it from lore. The Dragon isn't great but if you get one in a brawl they just won't go down.

#12 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:13 AM

Thank you for the responses. I remember reading about Jaime Wolf using his Archer to wipe out a bunch of mechs by himself. Is it that good in MWO?

#13 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:29 AM

I personally think the Archer has transitioned well, and is a fine mech that you cannot go wrong with. It comes more down to your personal choice. Some people play meta builds, some people play their lore friendly canon builds, but whether you use 'meta' builds or not, playing a mech you enjoy and actually like (model wise, loadout wise) really makes the game much more fun for me.

Hunchbacks are underestimated it seems (not in this thread, just in general), and the only reason the Catapult isn't so popular these days is because of 'better' fire support mechs - the archer, mad dog etc. This could be said about many mechs though when you actually pair them up against each other, but the truth is any mech in the right hands is good. I don't think you can go wrong with an Archer, or a Hunchback, just remember your role and play with it, and how your weapons dictate your role.

For me it was always the Warhawk Prime, but I am a clanner through and through so Posted Image

Edited by Artaire, 24 August 2016 - 04:30 AM.

#14 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostSpootieBloot, on 24 August 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

Thank you for the responses. I remember reading about Jaime Wolf using his Archer to wipe out a bunch of mechs by himself. Is it that good in MWO?

In MWO you're fighting real people with real brains, so the answer to this question is—yes, if your team is working together you can pick off several mechs while your team is tying them down/flanking them...but no, you can't lone wolf your way into multiple kills just because of your skills. You're gonna live and die by your team's cohesion.

#15 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

That's hyperbole from the lore. The intent was to signal that "this protagonist is a badass." Let that go.

#16 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

My playstyle would have to be fire support. Follow the leaders, support the Assaults and keep mechs off their backs.

That is my mindset anyway. I have not played enough matches to see if I am good enough for that role.

Edited by SpootieBloot, 24 August 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#17 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

View PostSpootieBloot, on 24 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

My playstyle would have to be fire support. Follow the leaders, support the Assaults and keep mechs off their backs.

That is my mindset anyway. I have not played enough matches to see if I am good enough for that role.

I'm a newbie here myself, and I started with a Marauder for reasons of nostalgia. I soon decided that I was probably doing my team more harm than good in a 75-ton mech, owing to my inexperience, and I moved down to a medium mech (the Shadowhawk). Hopefully, the heavy and assault slots would then go to a more experienced player. You might consider the Trebuchet as a starter support mech, for the same reason.

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

No, as long as you play it as LRM Mech its mediocre at best because of the unworthiness of LRMs in MWO.
You see them a lot, they earn you money and make big dmg numbers but are utterly useless against a minimal coordinated enemy team with pinpoint frontload weapons, or large numbers of autocannons and or focused laser fire.
Its self defense weaponry is okish against the occasional cocky light lone wolf but wont help you against atwo man light reaper team.

View PostSpootieBloot, on 24 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

What now firesupport or rearguard ?
A firesupport has med to longrange dps weapons or longrange frontload weapons.
A rearguard is a med or light with CSSRMS, SRMs, LBX or med/smal pulse laser to fend of skirmishers.

PS: An Archer is none of them its an Arty mech when used with LRMs

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 August 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#19 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Except you can totally run quad Lrm fives, quad streak twos and a Narc on the Archer-5W.

An archer can be fire support with lrms, or light protection with streaks, or brawling with srms. It's a good mech, and a solid choice.

~Leone.

#20 SpootieBloot

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 24 August 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

No, as long as you play it as LRM Mech its mediocre at best because of the unworthiness of LRMs in MWO.
You see them a lot, they earn you money and make big dmg numbers but are utterly useless against a minimal coordinated enemy team with pinpoint frontload weapons, or large numbers of autocannons and or focused laser fire.
Its self defense weaponry is okish against the occasional cocky light lone wolf but wont help you against atwo man light reaper team.

What now firesupport or rearguard ?
A firesupport has med to longrange dps weapons or longrange frontload weapons.
A rearguard is a med or light with CSSRMS, SRMs, LBX or med/smal pulse laser to fend of skirmishers.

PS: An Archer is none of them its an Arty mech when used with LRMs

I have used the Battlemaster trial mech. I loved the pulse lasers and stayed in the middle of the pack, not the very back though. Our Atlas announced he was pushing then me and two others followed and ripped through a tunnel on an urban map. That is the role I would like to play.

I think there is a Trebuchet trial mech. I will try it out too.

I watched a really good video by a guy who recommended the Hellbringer for a first mech. He showed how to build it and then showed how to use it in a match. He explained little details of what to watch for, what to avoid, how to use cover, how to shield the left weapon/ecm side and where to stay within the group. His name was RedLancer1 but he said he made the new account just to help rookies.

I forgot to say thanks for the help.

Edited by SpootieBloot, 24 August 2016 - 10:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users