63 replies to this topic

#1 Tamwulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 51 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

What's the point? Role Play value? Hundreds of planets to invade, and they all conform to the same what, 6 maps? There is no incentive to play- I log in, "vote" to attack a planet, then wait. I enter the que- and wait some more. Hopefully, enough other players will try to "defend", so we wait. When/if a match is made, we wait.

See the common thread here? Waiting for a game instead of, you know, actually playing the game. In the amount of time one CW game is played, I could play several quick play games.

Do I get more C-bills/XP from a CW vs. several quick matches? I dunno, because I hate waiting and waiting and waiting for a CW game to play, so I haven't even come close to making some kind of sample size to compare against.

This is the third CW I've been through, and they just keep adding more and more crap to it, but still doesn't change two things: No incentive to play it, and long wait times.

Is there even a plan of what CW is supposed to be? Is there a design document that PGI is working towards here?

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

The failing of FW/CW is mostly on PGI's implementation. There's no depth... let alone purpose.

This ontop of bad map designs (funneling to your death) is primarily the issue... and not really proactively solving "team building" issues (which I have a thread explicitly for the attempt to solve it). Let's not get started on Russ's want/love to keep Long Toms (as is for the most part) in the game.

It's mostly PGI's fault and responsibility.. not the community.

Edit: If you wanted to read my thread, here's a convenient link - http://mwomercs.com/...ration-problem/

Edited by Deathlike, 23 August 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#3 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Get on a team and never enter a match unless you got at least 6 on comms. FW is great in this mode. I am not even making an obvious ez slam, but this is the truth. You also need to play metagame when picking your affiliations or it can really bite metal ones.

If you feel the need, almost every faction has an open server that teams do go to and will work with folks, because honestly 2-3 mid level players on comms is better than a bunch of lone wolves just going for damage by themselves.

#4 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 23 August 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

This ontop of bad map designs (funneling to your death) is primarily the issue...

This alone has made me so frustrated with CW that played about 10 matches when it was introduced to MWO and i haven't touched it since.
Probably never will either the way things are now. Those bottlenecked maps that do not allow flanking kills all the fun.

To top it all off i've been on the border of quitting MWO for about 2 years now. I've played maybe 10-15 QP matches this year...
Yup. I have barrelly touched MWO this year. So i promised myself something.
There are 2 things PGI needs to do right or it will be the final straw that makes me drop MWO like a rotten lemon.

1- They need to make a system that encourages mixed weapon loadouts while still allowing boating for those that want it.
I'm tired of seeing the same old builds and the shooort TTK. All those tonns of armor seems like it's paperthin.
I want duels of true skill....not this one click deal.

2- Free for all Solaris with a mechanic to stop those who would hide through the match.
Ain't that hard...just disqualify anyone not doing enough damage every minute.

If they fail one of these two jobs i will quit. Things ain't looking too bright since Ghost Heat was basicly one big failure and Energy Draw doesn't do crap to encourage mixed builds.
As for Solaris...That won't happen anytime soon it seems.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 23 August 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#5 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

The purpose is to bypass a MM and farm skittles, or worse, no faction freelance potatoes usually in trials, in the most frustrating way as you possible can for gglol.

#6 Crushko

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

I think the core issues of FW are:

- Chokepoint maps; no strategic goals
- Wait times; too many brackets
- Not rewarding enough past the first Mechbay at rank 2
- Solo queuers get farmed by units
- Solo queuers/ small units dont feel involved/rewarded for capturing/holding planets

#7 blood4blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 527 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

CW events seem to be the only time the queues are short enough and the rewards high enough to bother playing CW instead of QP.

#8 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

View Postblood4blood, on 23 August 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

CW events seem to be the only time the queues are short enough and the rewards high enough to bother playing CW instead of QP.

Yes... only bribes work.

That should tell PGI something, but it doesn't.

#9 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

You want to know another thing that is frustrating about CW?
In the Feature suggestion part of the forums a player named Rebas Kradd made a thread with a video in it.
The video showed a CW gamemode that had huge maps with multiple objectives and multiple paths to each objective.
New Gamemode Proposal - Making Bigger Maps Fun

Bottleneck maps could become a thing of the past. His idea is not just brilliant but it's also popular.
Despite it's popularity and the work he put into making the video PGI is a no show.

#10 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

I mostly enjoy FP matches.

But there are dozens of ways in which it could be made so much better.

My main frustration is the lost opportunity for realising MWO's full Eve-like potential.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

The biggest joke is that those half hour matches can be a blast and way more intense than any quickplay match if the stars align. But sadly this happens maybe once a day and the waiting times kills this mode for most people.

#12 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

What's funny is that the Mission Play games of MW4 were infinitely replayable and more in depth than an entire game mode.

I think a large part of the problem is PGI keeps trying to reinvent the wheel rather than copy what worked from previous games.

Their attitude should be "So feature X worked from game Y, how can we improve on it?" rather than "let's make feature Z!".

#13 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 23 August 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

What's funny is that the Mission Play games of MW4 were infinitely replayable and more in depth than an entire game mode.

I think a large part of the problem is PGI keeps trying to reinvent the wheel rather than copy what worked from previous games.

Their attitude should be "So feature X worked from game Y, how can we improve on it?" rather than "let's make feature Z!".

Well when they finally do copy something from other games we get supply crates...

#14 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

View Post627, on 23 August 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

Well when they finally do copy something from other games we get supply crates...

Well... if you bought into their initially terrible idea (picking it up in the field of battle)... there's a facepalm to be had.

#15 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

View PostAppogee, on 23 August 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

I mostly enjoy FP matches.

But there are dozens of ways in which it could be made so much better.

My main frustration is the lost opportunity for realising MWO's full Eve-like potential.

Yeah. MWO is a niche game just like EVE is.
One of PGI's biggest mistakes was that they tried to attract to many different types of players.

So PGI ended up oversimplyfing too many things so they could make the learning curve as shallow as possible.
EVE has a steep unforgiving learning curve but it has stuck around for 13 years and it's still going strong with new content coming out.

#16 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

Yeah idk if it's arrogance or pride, but PGI seems to go out of its way to avoid doing what other people have done successfully.

#17 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, I feel they should just have a small number of planets where battles are going and maybe a two week time where they are in play to fall or be defended, Route all the CW players into a smaller number of potential places so the matches happen in a timely manner. If they want to have votes for attacks, people can vote for what is coming up in following weeks.

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 23 August 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Yeah idk if it's arrogance or pride, but PGI seems to go out of its way to avoid doing what other people have done successfully.

That would be too easy...

#19 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 23 August 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

If i liked beer i'd toast to us agreeing for once Dervish.
Another reaaally frustrating part is that they got the forums full of good ideas for all kinds of things that is wrong with MWO right now.
- New gamemodes.
- Improved versions of Ghost Heat and Energy Draw.
- How to make Flamers get their own way of being usefull.

- How to make rifles usefull without breaking the lore.....even the dang -3 damage against armor would only be adjusted to -2.5 and the other stats would be the same as the TT stats.

But Russ and the gang just ignore all those ideas.

#20 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 23 August 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

If i liked beer i'd toast to us agreeing for once Dervish.
Another reaaally frustrating part is that they got the forums full of good ideas for all kinds of things that is wrong with MWO right now.
- New gamemodes.
- Improved versions of Ghost Heat and Energy Draw.
- How to make Flamers get their own way of being usefull.

- How to make rifles usefull without breaking the lore.....even the dang -3 damage against armor would only be adjusted to -2.5 and the other stats would be the same as the TT stats.

But Russ and the gang just ignore all those ideas.

They ignore it OR, just as logically, are too bogged down attempting to balance and rebalance the game due to player complaints. A lot of those resources could be redirected to other projects if they just ignored the whining for a period of time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users