Wtf Is This New Mini Map?!

102 replies to this topic

#1 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Seriously PGI, it was already hard enough to make out grid coordinates with the old mini map especially when Polar Highland was introduced. Instead of making grid coordinate more readable in white-with-black-border like every type setter would tell you, you've made it MORE TRANSPARENT?! Posted Image

It's these amateur and head scratchingly dumb moves that make people question the competence of some of your employees. I once worked with a guy that instead of changing the color of the entire word in a signage as requested, he just changed the first letter and call it done. Yes, this mini map change is that level of stupid.

Edited by SQW, 23 August 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#2 Whiplash Wally

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Plus the zoom is so far out the new directional arrows are pretty much useless unless you waste a UAV spotting a single mech.

#3 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

I haven't tried the new patch yet, but is this really happening?

I'm not even mad this time, I'm just so amused. I can't wait to try this.

It's like Mapgate 2.0

#4 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

The old minimap was at least friendly to the color blind... this new one is just nuts...

#5 Rushmoar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

I hate it. I am color blind with certain colors and tints. I can't see the red Doritos any more.
Also white grid number on snow map great touch there PGI.
After 4 years of game play, no one can change the color of their UI.
No Color blind support at all. What gives.

#6 bukidog

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:21 PM

Keep this noise going. This **** needs fixin

#7 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 23 August 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

I haven't tried the new patch yet, but is this really happening?

I'm not even mad this time, I'm just so amused. I can't wait to try this.

It's like Mapgate 2.0

Yes, it's noticeably harder to see the coordinates at a glance. I run a scout mech most of the time and my first game today was a real pain when I have to call out locations in a hurry. And this was on Crimson Strait. I dread having to go into Frozen City later.

The troubling thing is, the patch stated that as a goal. It's like someone in PGI equate transparency with visibility. I just can't.... It makes more sense that someone's trolling us than to think a PGI employee genuinely try to fix this map and that was his/her honest effort.

#8 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

PGI, fixing and breaking things that don't need fixing since 2013.

Why did the minimap need an update in the first place? Who asked for it?

#9 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostTelemachus Rheade, on 23 August 2016 - 08:24 PM, said:

PGI, fixing and breaking things that don't need fixing since 2013.

Why did the minimap need an update in the first place? Who asked for it?

Do you mean the first first place? or the second first place? I was a pretty big proponent of changing it in the second first place.

Not sure I was onboard with any changes needing to be made in the third first place, but after seeing some of this, I might be joining the campaign for the fourth first place.

...I think that's what number we're on anyway. Hard to keep track with how many times it's been destroyed and reassembled.

#10 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

View PostRushmoar, on 23 August 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

I hate it. I am color blind with certain colors and tints. I can't see the red Doritos any more.
Also white grid number on snow map great touch there PGI.
After 4 years of game play, no one can change the color of their UI.
No Color blind support at all. What gives.

I'm red/green colorblind, and with the current minimal I can't see enemies period on the minimal at viridian bog. I'm a Joe average player, but if I get out on that map right now, I'd contribute less than a Chinese gold farming bot contributes to a WoW raid. PGI, please stop trying to make me hate you.

#11 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 23 August 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

Do you mean the first first place?

By first place I mean the iteration prior to the one that we had last, when PGI got rid of the pointy doritos for the diamonds with the lines through them a few patches ago. I've only been playing MWO for about 2 years, so I was fine with the minimap until they changed it a few months ago.

Honestly a change that we could have gone without, considering all the other things that PGI could be spending time fixing.

#12 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

I was surprised that Narc beacon doesn't show enemy directions any more. It was super useful in knowing if it's safe to poke around the corner for my team mates but now it seems you have to spend UAV money for the privilege. I don't know why. UAV gets thrown out like candies on Halloween so it's not about c-bill sink and so few people use narc there's no sense talking about unfair advantages.

Given all the tweaks they could be working on, like a color blind scheme, the focus on mini-map in the last two patches seems like someone in PGI has it as a pet project.

Seriously, it's a 5min job replacing the old color code with a new one.

#13 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:42 PM

The worst part is they will need another month to go trough approvement, then design phase and application. Expect a fix in about 1-3 months time, guys. We'll have to do with this until then. I hear the UI team has it's hands full atm.,

#14 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

PGI... breaking stuff that actually works since 2012

#15 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:56 PM

the main problem with those maps are - those are no maps.
What we are looking at are secreenshots made from above.
You can load map into a graphical tool and modify the contrast and voila you see the color of the map.

So the visibility of enemy doritos is fine for me on ice plain - but bad on dark maps with lots of rubble like caustic.
Its the same as on the real map were finding red doritos on caustic or terra becomes a problem from time to time - or shooting friendlys at crimson

I wish we could get a real map - with lines for different hight levels (dotted line, small line, thick line) - ignore rubble or terrain features that don't hinder you mech - buildings with different hight levels on the map.
and for each and every map the same semi-transparent background - together with a switchable HUD
(i would make the background of the map light green, and color the enemy mechs magenta and friendly mechs orange)

#16 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:02 PM

It would have been better if they let us make the grids and numbers like NEON green or something like that so we can see them but I just shake my head in WTF are you doing PGI?

#17 DrxAbstract

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:12 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 23 August 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

I'm red/green colorblind, and with the current minimal I can't see enemies period on the minimal at viridian bog. I'm a Joe average player, but if I get out on that map right now, I'd contribute less than a Chinese gold farming bot contributes to a WoW raid. PGI, please stop trying to make me hate you.

Part of their InfoWar™ design: You need your teammates now more than ever just to identify the bad guys.

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:13 PM

They're changing it to support InfoTech...

For the Cyclops to have a unique selling proposition like extended sensor range, sensor range had to be removed from other Mechs.

For people to need to buy UAVs, enemy leg direction had to be removed from the non-UAV map etc.

Maybe legible/zoomable minimap is going to be rolled out as some kind of feature you have to buy a module for.

#19 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

Extra colour options for your cords will be 1200 MC for variety.

#20 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:20 PM

View PostNeoCodex, on 23 August 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

The worst part is they will need another month to go trough approvement, then design phase and application. Expect a fix in about 1-3 months time, guys. We'll have to do with this until then. I hear the UI team has it's hands full atm.,

I wish. If the UI team were really busy, they wouldn't be mucking around with the mini map.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users