Meele Attack Ability For All Mechs

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Meele attack ability (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to mech could attack meele?

1. Yes (27 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. No (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Drimerd

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

It happens that the mech end ammunition or broken all the weapons. Maybe add the jerk button - almost instantaneous acceleration forward with the body attack as ram attack.

1) The mech must have a maximum speed of forward movement to enable the ability, otherwise it will not be activated. (Requirement)

2) Jerk range depends on the current maximal forward movement speed and = movement for 3 seconds path. How mech pass distance for 3 seconds, and the range of jerk. Сan not change the direction of movement during the duration of the ability, the movement direction straight forward. (Bonus)

3) The mech automatically off the power when it reaches the final acceleration path point, and mech on the power after cooldawn (as after the overheating). At that time, capture the enemy base is not considered active action. (Penalty)

4) In the final point of activation ability or crashing into another mech causes damage to the enemy equal 1/3 of the tonnage of the mech. If the mech weight of 60 tons, it cause 20 points of damage. Mech always receives half of the damage he has done, in this case it will cause currently 10 points of damage. (Bonus and penalty)

5) If the mech in final point of activation ability bumps into an obstacle or wall, it does 10 point of damage only to itself. (Penalty)

The light mech make a much longer jerk than heavy mechs, but the heavy mechs cause much more damage, 100 tons mech always has a meele weapon at close range, cause ~33.33 points of damage to the enemy and ~16,5 to itself. But mech can not attack immediately, standing on the spot without score maximum speed. Now in game the damaged and not able to attack mech represents the only target set points for the enemy that slowly attack all its parts.

This ability can be used as a tactical movement or/and the meele attack.

Edited by Drimerd, 24 August 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#2 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

The Light Mech might have less mass, but speed carries the kinetic energy squared compared to mass.

In terms of "bumping" Mechs that would translate into:
A 100t Atlas running into another Mech with 50 kp/h = 250'000 ouches
A 20t Locust running into another Mech with 150 kp/h = 450'000 ouches

That said it would also mean, that the kinetic energy (generating the damage) would be equaly distributed by both parties and an Atlas would take that amount of damage way more easy than the Locust. Especially when, as stated in this topic, the Locust would be half dead anyway. I am considering that proposal a Suicide Attack anyway.

Thing is a Locust would rather "bounce" off, propelled by his half of the kinetic impact energy and thanks to his low mass. An Atlas would remain static (because he's so fat he has his own zip code) and the whole energy would discharge onto his armor and structure. And last time I checked they did not build a "crumbling zone" into a Mech.

In conclusion: Speed kills :-) It's physics.

Although, it's rather useless to discuss proper physics regarding a game sporting walking 100t tanks with fusion reactors used in combat situations. So consider this a not-so-serious attempt at early-morning-commuter-train-boredom-driven wise-assery. :-)

In all seriousness (at least an amount I can produce at the moment) I would rather see some form of melee weapons for MWO. It would enable Hatchetmans, Axmans etc. although I reckon it would be easier said than done. Like many other game mechanics it’s always subject to missuse. And balancing that out must be a nightmare. So this might be just a wet dream after all ....

#3 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

I find knives in shooters to be a rather strange consept. Shoot a guy 5 times and he still comes running at you killing you instantly with a knife. Like WTF? It's just a mechanic in the game where people are rewarded with instant kills for getting close to the enemies. Fun but not very realistic.

In MWO however, things are a little different. First off, there are no viable close range options that could work with any kind of realism, while still being effective. At least not in a fair way.

First off, most mechs lacks any kind of close range weapons, exept a fist here and there. Actually, lots of mechs lacks any kind of arms at all. And, several who have arms do not have actuators in all joints. This leaves kicking, or ramming enemies with the torso.

Now, ramming enemies with the torso is just stupid as it would damage lighter mechs ramming assaults more than they damage the enemy. Just try driving into a parked tank at 150 kmph with any car, even a light armored car. It's just not something you would do. So, in the end we'll end up with heavier mechs stomping lighter mechs. But I really do not see this being a good thing.

With that said, I'd like to have some kind of impact damage in the game. Lights are bolting off at top speed hitting all kinds of **** without taking damage. If they run into my tank, I'd like them to feel it.

#4 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

I would like melee damage, crash damage,(if it would come to much naturally, although I would like it even if it's very small amounts and realistically calculated so it damage based on realistic surface to surface contact and other factors with potential self damage.), crouching, and other things like the ability to knock mechs over.

And balancing these things out would not be a nightmare. All they have to do is calculate it realistically and wallah!(this is literally what computers were made for!! ><) If it's not right it means they need to add more of the proper factors into the game to make it right. They don't even have to think about it much. if they can't figure this stuff out then they really need to think about what they do for a living. Or start letting engineers run their companies or something. It's sort of spitting in the face of the entire culture that made all of this. the culture that makes your food, and cars, your houses and is the only reason you live comfortably, or at all, day to day.... literally! You know, the ones that are the only reason you can be on the internet, and developed all of this before you got here..... made and designed every inch of it.... Including, even, every table top game and math puzzle that makes all of this stuff up.

I think you could deal with melee realistically. You just need to add the stuff to do it. Like basic armor consideration or composite materials or material science. anything wrong will literally just be a "lack" of consideration and need a few more things added in. Like arm servos at an angle applying force. Or they could automate some of it, as a mech probably would) and consider the forces of the mechs parts and it's abilities before hand and put it in a number. I would just hope it's a proper number. 8) Like, 5!

Edited by Arugela, 30 August 2016 - 04:43 PM.

#5 Mister Bob Dobalina

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

View PostArugela, on 30 August 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

I would like melee damage, crash damage,(if it would come to much naturally, although I would like it even if it's very small amounts and realistically calculated so it damage based on realistic surface to surface contact and other factors with potential self damage.), crouching, and other things like the ability to knock mechs over.

And balancing these things out would not be a nightmare. All they have to do is calculate it realistically and wallah!(this is literally what computers were made for!! &gt;&lt;) If it's not right it means they need to add more of the proper factors into the game to make it right. They don't even have to think about it much. if they can't figure this stuff out then they really need to think about what they do for a living. Or start letting engineers run their companies or something. It's sort of spitting in the face of the entire culture that made all of this. the culture that makes your food, and cars, your houses and is the only reason you live comfortably, or at all, day to day.... literally! You know, the ones that are the only reason you can be on the internet, and developed all of this before you got here..... made and designed every inch of it.... Including, even, every table top game and math puzzle that makes all of this stuff up.

I think you could deal with melee realistically. You just need to add the stuff to do it. Like basic armor consideration or composite materials or material science. anything wrong will literally just be a &quot;lack&quot; of consideration and need a few more things added in. Like arm servos at an angle applying force. Or they could automate some of it, as a mech probably would) and consider the forces of the mechs parts and it's abilities before hand and put it in a number. I would just hope it's a proper number. 8) Like, 5!

My favourite is the "You just need to add the stuff to do it.". It's like saying "Just give everybody food to end world hunger". While the later has a very tragic background and someone saying that would just be borderline ignorant and naïve, I am not putting you in that place. But your proposed "solutions" suggest PGI is just to dumb and/or too lazy to do it because it's laughably easy and you would know how to do it . Then apply there and save us all, since it is so friggin easy.

A full on, physically correct, collision and damage model would require constant and complex calculations parallel to game mechanic calculations. The Cryengine in it's used version already puts a cap on what's possible. And don't think "just using a higher version of the Cryengine would be instant paradise". Changing versions of gameengines can most of the time be as complex as changing from one engine to another. Let's pretend for a moment, that it would be as easy to implement full-on collision simulations ( a: for the rendering, b: for the damage c: for points). The thing is, that these collisions will have to be calculated within the game client as they will have to be real-time and on-time. You can stretch the nvidia physix engine only so much and since not everybody sports a nvidia gpu it'll end up in the CPU. And MWO is already a CPU hogger. Not everybody has a gamer pc grade machine and MWO is more the Mecha enthusiasts game, than playin ground for hardcore esports aficionados. If the minimum system requirements have to be upped to 4 GHz i7s, 8-16 GB RAM and a minimum of GTX9xx, this turns into a rich mans game. Don't get me wrong, I'll be game with that requirements easily. But other's don't. So PGI will have to take into account that they simply can't put anything into the game. Not for the lack of possibility or capability. But to be able to sustain or grow the player base.

I am acting quite the advocatus diabolii at that point and I have many beefs with PGIs decisions or why they aren't doing what I am wishing etc. But I am always trying to emphasize and understand their side too. They have business concerns I as a customer will never be able to see objectively from my point of view. They are not spending their day discussing how to piss their customers off or make their lives massively misserable.

Consider this: Demanding the level of realism observed in blockbuster multiplayer 3rd person shooters like Battlefield or Call of Duty is mute due to the fact that those game had budgets in the 100-200 Million Dollars and hunderts if not thousands of employees. And you can imagine that the manufacturer of the game engine will provide any help and support to those game developers as the game will very prominently promote their product with the game. PGI is a 60-70 people indie-style game developer, trying to make a game out of a franchise that has been there for decades and whose user based is quite "lored". Not an easy task. They will never ever make it right for everybody and sometimes the best compromise is the one where nobody likes it. At least I am ready to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are still trying. I'll be outspoken, when it's required (bmho) but always with a maximum of information regarding the cause.

Bottom line: It's not as easy as you like it to be (still).

Edited by Thomster, 01 September 2016 - 11:46 PM.

#6 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

I think another consideration for melee attacks (beyond ramming). First, punching and kicking should should also be made available. Many of the IS mechs have arms that are built for this, and even at the expense of some damage taken for a melee attack, it would provide a very interesting response to enemies who like to face hump and also force players to consider close combat situations more carefully. I may be mistaken, but I recall having read that the pilots had to switch from the weapons to melee systems in lore* (needs a source), which could be implemented as a second switch over and also assist in making a distinct control scheme rather than having a few cookie cutter movement patterns.

With the addition of melee combat, another obvious consequence is needed to increase the meaningfulness of the action as well as the risk and reward: We need FALLING. With anything bipedal, there should be a risk to falling! Be it melee induced or even a consequence of taking a massive amount of fire, we need to see falling mechanics implemented just as badly as we need to see melee introduced and refined here.

This would greatly enrich the game. I know it will be add a whole new, very deep dimension to the game, but it could also help provide more differentiation between clan and IS mechs. For example, IS mechs could receive bonus credits for performing certain strikes while clan mechs could be penalized for it (so that those who want to adhere to lore can get their fix on this). It provides the ability to all, but with appropriate social consequences.

Something of this scale while still maintaining and enjoyable game is obviously the most important thing, but even if this was introduced in a step wise manner, say implementing knock downs/falls, then refining that before adding the actual striking

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users