36 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

As we approach the Regional Finals we want to clarify the terms of tie-breaking in a round robin tournament structure.

In the event of a tie in standings, final placement will be based on a system commonly referred to as a "Head-to-Head" tiebreaker.

Given that each each team in the MWOWC will have met every other team on the battlefield at least once, the result of the previous match between the two tied teams will determine which team is placed higher in the standings.

In other words, if Team X and Team Y are tied at the end of the round robin, whichever team emerged victorious when those two teams met during the round robin will win the tie breaker.

This ruling is not uncommon in a round-robin tournament structure, and is a favored means of breaking ties in most major league sports and tournament organizations.

The road to the Regional Finals is looking very interesting and exciting!

#2 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

How does it work if 3 or more teams are tie ? ( which could happen in the AP area)

Edited by live1991, 24 August 2016 - 06:11 PM.

#3 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

So whats the call in the current case of NA region.

Team A defeated Team B
Team B defeated Team C
Team C defeated Team A

Rank 4-6

#4 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Queen is correct, we really need a comprehensive tie breaker rule set. We have no idea what factors are important or not important for the sake of the tie breaker.

#5 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostQueenBlade, on 24 August 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

So whats the call in the current case of NA region.

Team A defeated Team B
Team B defeated Team C
Team C defeated Team A

Rank 4-6

Tiebreaker grand melee in stock urbies :D

#6 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

I would suggest something that is also not uncommon in a round-robin tournament structure for ties that include 3 or more teams.

It's called a Scoring Differential.

SCORE DIFFERENTIAL: The total number offensive kills scored for a team LESS the total number of kills given up to the opposing team. The teams will be ranked by who has the highest to the lowest "SCORE DIFFERENTIAL"

Then if a tie that is greater than two still exists, then the team with MORE kills or LESS deaths (your choosing) will be ranked higher.

Finally, if more than two still exists. Have Tina pick a name from a hat that is placed above her.

#7 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

I would of agreed with this in the beginning but the delay in announcing this means some teams may have taken a cap victory when they could of had a kill victory, or a team may have sent a mech to find the last enemy ill advised when they could of stuck together.

I would say 3 team round robin is more fair with score differential being used IF that also ends in a tie.

#8 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

Agree, all rules that can change the way you play the game should be set in stone before the first game.

#9 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Can we get a ruling on 3 way tie procedure?

#10 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

View Posthabu86, on 25 August 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

Tiebreaker grand melee in stock urbies :D

Great idea... But only if it is conquest on polar highlands :D

#11 Grrzoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostVVonka, on 29 August 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

Can we get a ruling on 3 way tie procedure?

I dont think this will be any sort of issue, looking at the standings and upcoming matches it's going to go like this:

sjr or emp 0 losses
sjr or emp 1 loss
lords 2 losses
228th 3 losses
you guys at 4

pretty much how we all figured it would go down, but those stats are impressive.
you guys and 22th have both played the high end of the ladder and are finished with challenges pretty much, not so for the other teams,

congratulations btw, i'm really looking forward to playoffs!

#12 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

Thats not completely true Grrzoot. 228th still has to play EmP, and if D5 pulls another upset it would then be a 3 way tie. It is very conceivable this could happen.

Either way the tie rules should of been posted at the beginning. If they wait until its needed to post 3 way tie rules than the only fair play is a round robin with those 3 teams.

#13 Rathnor1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:15 AM

View PostGrrzoot, on 29 August 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

I dont think this will be any sort of issue, looking at the standings and upcoming matches it's going to go like this:

Maybe not for NA or EU, but it likely will an issue for AP.

#14 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

I get it, but, it's unlikely to come down to any issue, the top 3 will be earmarked out, because they have to be, either SJR or EMP HAS to have one loss, the other, most likely, will not. of course it's POSSIBLE that D5 pulls an upset, or someone else does :)))), but, the more likely scenario is that the last 2 spots could be tied up with 3 teams, and in a three team set up, since it's an odd number should be simple, who beat who or who beat 2.....I agree it should have been clearer, but it's not like it's RHOD and someone is gonna leave because they don't like how PGI decides, we kind of don't have that power in this tourney. Save your being mad until it happens Posted Image.....I suspect if it does they will do something to a one game playoff to be in, remember in this tourney, everyone had to play everyone so there are built in tie breakers by default to a degree, head to head should win out.

Edited by lpmagic, 31 August 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#15 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

its up to 4 way tie now with 42 SmokeJays dropping out and reversing a KCom lost to a win.

#16 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

@ lpmagic

If you read the above you note there is a true 3 way tie potential with 3 teams all going 1-1 against each-other. I wanted them to announce something months ago but if it is anything that could effect game play like kills or deaths then there is going to be an issue.

#17 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

I agree VVonka, It should be clearer for sure, no doubt. but, in light of my "predictions" going forward for the teams in question, I don't think it will be an issue, but that is simply my opinion based on my experience with the teams in question. I do certainly agree that something should be announced in the way of tie breaking material. It WILL suck if it comes down to kills or deaths, since no one ever really paid any kind of attention to those things, which (and I know, you will get a good chuckle out of this lol) the logical thing to do would be a "play in" round robin, were it to come down to 3 teams for that last spot, and yes, I did say "logic" lol

Edit:

because of the nature of this discussion, and the intensity that it takes on, I believe that unit leaders still involved should make a forceful and concerted effort to ask, as a group, for PGI to take particular, and meticulous care to update teams that have DQ'd by dint of 3 no shows and or, have simply stopped showing up. I think, at this point, this should be a daily occurrence as we get down to the wire. not every team has a "crazy A__ off the wall" loss, but some do, and some are close, this might be all changed around the day they announce these things, for the most part it will not affect things, but in some circumstances, it surely will.

Edited by lpmagic, 08 September 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#18 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

I agree at this point, if a 3 way tie exists a 3 way round robin should be the tie breaker. Now they just need to announce that ties of 3 or more will be settled this way. They could even use kill count as a secondary tie breaker WITHIN that round robin.

#19 VVonka

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

So the scenario is here, we are now looking at a likely 3 way tie in which teams are 1-1 against each other.

We are done with the regional qualifiers, we need a ruling we need to know how this is going to work and what is going to happen. ONLY fair way I see is a 3 team round robin on one set day.

#20 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

Paul Inouye

Tina Benoit

I brought this up 3 weeks ago.

Ranks 4 - 6 are tied in a scenario where:
Rank 4 beat 5
Rank 5 beat 6
Rank 6 beat 4

Your head-to-head tie breaking WILL NOT work in this scenario. An update to this would be greatly appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users