Will Anything Replace A Mouse?

30 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

like this https://www.amazon.c...=I1GEK5X6K09N3O

I'm using the Logitech G 13 Gamepad and it works very well for my left hand.

https://www.amazon.c...ogitech+gamepad

The pain is simply becomng unbearabe. Fill a large water pitcher half full of water and half of ice. Stick you hand in up to half to your elbow. let me know when you can do this for 20 minutes, lol.

#2 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:33 AM

I played MWO with an extreme 3d pro for the first few months. That was during the Fall of 2012.

I have since switched to a mouse for my right hand and a Razor Nostromo for my left. The mouse is far more accurate than any joystick. The only regret I have is that it is unlikely I could play the game on someone else's pc without my Nostromo.

Pain as in physical pain or mental anguish because of the perception of not plioting a mech the way it was meant to be driven?
If this is physical pain, then perhaps a different mouse would help.... or carpal tunnel surgery. :-)

Edited by knnniggett, 25 August 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

The mouse is more accurate than most joysticks, but not necessarily all - if you can set up your joystick as a zero-order controller, you're good. I don't know much about it myself, but there's a whole thread in the technical subforums about it.

Personally, I need to get a wider mouse - I have trouble using my buttons correctly, or occasionally with cramping in the palm of my hand, because I have huge, wide, slapping palms to go with normal-sized fingers.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:03 PM

View Postknnniggett, on 25 August 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

I played MWO with an extreme 3d pro for the first few months. That was during the Fall of 2012. I have since switched to a mouse for my right hand and a Razor Nostromo for my left. The mouse is far more accurate than any joystick. The only regret I have is that it is unlikely I could play the game on someone else's pc without my Nostromo. Pain as in physical pain or mental anguish because of the perception of not plioting a mech the way it was meant to be driven? If this is physical pain, then perhaps a different mouse would help.... or carpal tunnel surgery. :-)

I have a nice mouse. It is physical pain I'm in (did you really say "or mental anguish because of the perception of not plioting a mech the way it was meant to be driven?") lol,

I've had both carpal tunnels done. I'm simply not supposed to play a game like this anymore. I managed Everquest with rollerballs but you did not have to be exact.

I also gave up on Madden this year and I've played since the first year. I hate to admit it but I need to bite the bullet and have two more surgeries. One of my doctors had one of his done last year. I need to replace both Basal Joints.

It just takes a long time to recover so...I was using these on my wrist wrapped with an ace bandage. I get them for my back. But my insurance company is no longer paying for them. But I'm appealing it.

https://www.drugs.co...derm-patch.html

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

Do not use painkillers to mask a degenerative illness! You'll end up worse off - as I'm sure you know. It sucks to eat the recovery time, but you should get the surgeries as soon as you can if that's what it takes.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 25 August 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

Do not use painkillers to mask a degenerative illness! You'll end up worse off - as I'm sure you know. It sucks to eat the recovery time, but you should get the surgeries as soon as you can if that's what it takes.

Yes, we have talked about it (Wife and I) and I'm making an appointment. LOL, I just hate "wasting" that PT.

But I'll be back to bug you all :P

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

Looking forward to it - good luck!

#8 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

I also got carpal tunnels, and i had to retrain my whole arm to use a mouse.

I dont know if this will apply to you, but i dont use my wrist, i move my whole arm instead. So its basically all shoulder movement (and sometimes a little elbow) and I keep my palm, wrist and forearm completelly in place.

Try it out- (make sure to get a super mat to use as a mouse pad) and make sure to glide the mouse across the mouse pad.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 25 August 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

like this https://www.amazon.c...=I1GEK5X6K09N3O

I'm using the Logitech G 13 Gamepad and it works very well for my left hand.

https://www.amazon.c...ogitech+gamepad

The pain is simply becomng unbearabe. Fill a large water pitcher half full of water and half of ice. Stick you hand in up to half to your elbow. let me know when you can do this for 20 minutes, lol.

"Zero Order" flight sticks are what you want.
Or thumbsticks, it really doesn't matter. But it must be "Zero Order". Not first order. Not second order.
http://mwomercs.com/...control-how-to/
http://mwomercs.com/...ls-demystified/

90% of joysticks, flight sticks, etc are first-order. First order can't compete with mice without a Lookspring function, which MWO does not have.

All mice are zero-order.

Edited by Koniving, 25 August 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#10 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

I've pretty serious hand/wrist joint issues due to damage. I use a RAT 7 Cyborg gaming mouse. You can adjust the wieght and shape of the mouse, which I find to help a ton with pain management and swelling. It also has a DPI switch button which allows me to set the mouse sensitivity insanely high for large movements then press the button to lower it for precision. I find it helps me a lot. I hope this is useful information for you.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,652 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

Do you use a wrist support of some type to lock your wrist in place for the time being? (only real dumb question is the one not asked.. :) )

#12 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 25 August 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

LOL, I just hate "wasting" that PT.

I've heard that you can send an E-Mail to Support in order to get your Premium Time paused temporarily. I would therefore think that if you explain your situation to them, being as heavily Medical as it is, PGI's MWO Support Staff would gladly do so. Perhaps you might give that a try? :huh:

~D. V. "A temporary solution to the issue?" Devnull

#13 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 25 August 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

I also got carpal tunnels, and i had to retrain my whole arm to use a mouse. I dont know if this will apply to you, but i dont use my wrist, i move my whole arm instead. So its basically all shoulder movement (and sometimes a little elbow) and I keep my palm, wrist and forearm completelly in place. Try it out- (make sure to get a super mat to use as a mouse pad) and make sure to glide the mouse across the mouse pad.

Very interesting, I see them for sale. I have a nice small one with a padded place for my wrist, this is the same brand my doctor has.

But I see how this could work. I was trying something semi like it where I put the pad on a table to the side of me. Lock the wrist down and use my arms etc.

View PostKoniving, on 25 August 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

"Zero Order" flight sticks are what you want. Or thumbsticks, it really doesn't matter. But it must be "Zero Order". Not first order. Not second order. http://mwomercs.com/...control-how-to/ http://mwomercs.com/...ls-demystified/ 90% of joysticks, flight sticks, etc are first-order. First order can't compete with mice without a Lookspring function, which MWO does not have. All mice are zero-order.

Way over my head, lol.

#14 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostSpike Brave, on 25 August 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I've pretty serious hand/wrist joint issues due to damage. I use a RAT 7 Cyborg gaming mouse. You can adjust the wieght and shape of the mouse, which I find to help a ton with pain management and swelling. It also has a DPI switch button which allows me to set the mouse sensitivity insanely high for large movements then press the button to lower it for precision. I find it helps me a lot. I hope this is useful information for you.

Well, maybe you can explain to me why and where weight is important. Mine has adjustable, maybe it is too heavy?

This is it https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it has the DPI buttons and 5 settings but I honestly do not know what they are for. I went with turn everything low.

The Game pad is awesome, it even has a decent joystick but I use it for jumps jets, MASC etc. https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#15 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 25 August 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I've heard that you can send an E-Mail to Support in order to get your Premium Time paused temporarily. I would therefore think that if you explain your situation to them, being as heavily Medical as it is, PGI's MWO Support Staff would gladly do so. Perhaps you might give that a try? Posted Image ~D. V. "A temporary solution to the issue?" Devnull
a[color=inherit]Thna[/color]

Thanks, but I was kidding, lol. What I hate is I have Mech to do their pilot trees, new Mechs on the way (Huntsman) and I'm improving as a player.

I started doing more QP instead of FW and my gold line is moving, lol.

#16 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 25 August 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

Do you use a wrist support of some type to lock your wrist in place for the time being? (only real dumb question is the one not asked.. :) )

I have the one molded for me to wear at night. While playing I'm using Ace Bandages. I did have the Lidoderm patches and I was using them with them.

I might be able to find something better. I need to have my fingers etc free and it cannot be too tight. I will sometimes have small bags of crushed ice strapped to my wrist or a single larger piece of ice.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:00 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 25 August 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

Way over my head, lol.

Read the demystified link, it explains it all.

#18 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 August 2016 - 03:00 AM, said:

Read the demystified link, it explains it all.

But the explanation is that you hafta buy a HOTAS and mod it, right?

No such thing as buying a zero-order joystick pre-made, right?

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 26 August 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

But the explanation is that you hafta buy a HOTAS and mod it, right?

No such thing as buying a zero-order joystick pre-made, right?

Well I recall something about already existing zero order ones... though morbidly expensive. It's been a number of years I was hoping they might have gone down from the 500+ price point by now.

#20 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 25 August 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

It is physical pain I'm in (did you really say "or mental anguish because of the perception of not plioting a mech the way it was meant to be driven?") lol, I've had both carpal tunnels done. I'm simply not supposed to play a game like this anymore.

Heh, heh yeah I did. At the time I was reflecting on my own mental struggle... Initially, it just felt wrong to use a mouse. I had played all the previous mechwarrior titles with a joystick, and it took a little bit to convince myself I could get better results with a mouse.

In any case, the Basal Joint Arthritis video was very informative. From all the responses it looks like you've got a recovery group rooting for you. I hope your recovery goes well!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users