Silly Question...skill Tree Select?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Rerednaw

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:34 PM

Okay so I finish a match in a mech and decide to spend the skill points.

I select "Skills" thinking this will go to the skill tree for the mech I have selected (just as the Mechlab would for the mech I have selected)...and it doesn't.

How do you get the Skill Tree for the mech you have selected instead of the entire list?

Oh and why does the skill tree list show mechs I don't own? Is there some way to spend skill points on mechs you don't have?

Thanks!

#2 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 11:38 PM

Exp you earn is to that mech variant only. Eg jg6-a. To elite a mech you need to basic 3 variants of a mech chassis eg jg6-a, -dd, -s.
So far I don't think you can filter by mechs owned, but at least you can filter by weight class and every mech in that class will be in 1 page by alphabetical order. So it's not too difficult to find mechs

#3 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 27 August 2016 - 12:59 AM

You can filter the loooong list in the upper left hand corner. Use "Variants Owned (Desc)" to get your owned mech chassis on top of the list. Then select your Mech chassis and then the variant.

I bit complicated...direct skill menu right out of the mechlab would be great though Posted Image

P.S.: There are no silly questions in "New Player Help"

Edited by Exard3k, 27 August 2016 - 01:06 AM.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:12 AM

I think they list them all because it's quite possible for you to have experience with chassis you can no longer access. In any case, like Bohxim said, each individual 'mech variant has a pilot skill tree - which doesn't default to the chassis you've selected, unfortunately.

As for the skills themselves, they're very important. In order to unlock the middle, Elite tier, you have to buy all of the Basic tier in three variants of the same chassis - e.g. the Shadowhawk 2H, 5M, and 2d2. The final, Master tier is unlocked once you have bought all of the Elite skills for any three chassis in a weight class - so you could have Elited one Shadowhawk 2H and two Hunchbacks to unlock the Master skill slot for that Shadowhawk variant. Buying all the Elite skills doubles the Basic skills' bonuses, which is particularly of import for Clan 'mechs with their hotter weapons. Conversely, the Master slot is more valuable for some 'mechs than others, depending on how many module slots come standard in that variant, because...

The General pilot skills ise "general experience," or GXP, and are generally ok to wait on - with four very big exceptions. Advanced Seismic Sensor, Radar Deprivation, and the advanced UAV and Artillery Strike modules should be your very first purchases with GXP. Seismic and Radar Deprivation are the most useful modules in the game, though the order in which you buy them should depend on how often you encounter LRMs (and how well you deal with LRMs when you see them.) If you're seeing a lot of LRM boats, take Radar Dep first; otherwise Seismic. After that, a well-placed UAV is a great way to farm experience, and Artillery Strikes have important effects on the match if used well.

Other modules and skills you can wait on - the two 'mech modules I just recommended are very expensive to purchase (the modules themselves, not the pilot skill unlocks,) so you may want to pick up another 'mech instead initially (no, I'm not kidding.) Just bear in mind that they're quite useful, and worth the expense in the long run.

#5 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

Here is a video detailing the skill tree:

#6 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostExard3k, on 27 August 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

You can filter the loooong list in the upper left hand corner. Use "Variants Owned (Desc)" to get your owned mech chassis on top of the list. Then select your Mech chassis and then the variant.

I bit complicated...direct skill menu right out of the mechlab would be great though Posted Image

P.S.: There are no silly questions in "New Player Help"

Agreed. It would be great if you could click on the mech experience for that particular mech and it would take you directly to that mech in the skill tree.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users