12 replies to this topic

#1 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:55 PM

Good morning fellow mech warriors~
Wrote in a couple months back regarding an override shutdown issue I experienced with my archer. Override shutdown warning was played and when I checked my heat gauge it wasn't past 95% then I blew myself up. Some experienced played mentioned it could have been dissipation or lag that caused me to miss that 100% by the time I looked.
Last night while messing with the kdk 3 with quad uac 10s, (I know the ghost heat has been fixed, but hasn't been an issue for me Cox I usually fire 2 by 2 to keep the pressure on). It was a bog match and I got excited because it was a while since I went onto my kdk and accidentally trigger my 2nd pair of uac10 before the 0.5s threshold. Was at resting heat prior to firing so I thought ' ok that's just 1 mistake, I'll be more careful the next volley' when I double tapped the 2nd pair I heard the override shutdown warning. A quick glance down showed my paper doll flashing internal dmg but my heat was only 70%. Another volley of fire and I heard the warning again but my heat was in the mid 80s and another 2 flashes on my internal structure.
Anyone else experience something like this? Because I'm pretty sure override shutdown and internal dmg only incurs after I cross the 99% threshold and my mech forces the override

#2 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:05 PM

Yeah, it's pretty common. Last night I was using a Nova with 6 flamers in group queue. On my screen, I briefly fired the flamers and then stopped, walked ~50m before I powered down for no reason, heat under 20%, no flamers firing. After about 15 seconds I hit P to override, started taking massive internal damage and exploded within a second.

The spectators saw something quite different. My flamers never stopped firing for them, even when my mech was powered down due to heat. Apparently the heat gauge flew up to 100% before I shutdown, and I would have been at 500-1000% heat when I tried to power up.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

Likely due to packet loss.

edit, had way too much, hmm, discussions about packages on Saturday, and I lost most of those discussions... :) /looks over shoulders...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 28 August 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:43 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 27 August 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

Likely due to package loss.

packet not package, but agreed

I never use override so have never seen the described bug.

#5 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

Hmm but it's 70-80% which is quite a large buffer til 100. Would packet loss trigger such a large difference?

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

when I used to play over wifi I would sometimes get 3-5 seconds where I was not connected to the server, when the connection was restored I would teleport back to where I was previously standing, this got highly annoying when it happened several times in a row, and many times was the cause of my Mech getting destroyed, it rairly happened while I was shooting but it could explain your issues.

since I switched to a hard-wired connection about 2 years ago I have only seen it a few times as opposed to seemingly every other game over wireless

#7 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:35 AM

Been on hard wire since I joined mwo a year ago. But ya I've experienced those games. I get teleported back and forth due to missing packers. It happened a lot when we had that underwater cable damaged months back

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

View PostBohxim, on 28 August 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

Hmm but it's 70-80% which is quite a large buffer til 100. Would packet loss trigger such a large difference?

Depends on location and server/ping.
Also, 80% was the closed beta threshold for receiving Crit damage to heatsinks, ammo, equipment and anything with a slot. This has been removed as of January 2013.
(Funny actually, that 80% is roughly the range Battletech weapons lock up as a safety feature against extreme heat and require the pilot to override them. Of course in BT there is no shutdown override; it shuts down at or near 100% period.)

Currently override activates when you show drastic increases in heat, done in anticipation that you will overheat at the rate you are going. So if you fired another volley you'd hit 100% guaranteed and override is anticipating this.
Most of MWO's net code relies on anticipation of what you will do to help "hide" the lag. Any time something bugs out or rubber bands and such is when someone did something outside the scope of anticipation.

Edited by Koniving, 28 August 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#9 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

View PostBohxim, on 28 August 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

Been on hard wire since I joined mwo a year ago. But ya I've experienced those games. I get teleported back and forth due to missing packers. It happened a lot when we had that underwater cable damaged months back

As a Lions fan, missing packers is a dream scenario for me.

#10 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

Ah koniving. That makes more sense. Cox I've heard something similar too. Altho... my first override was at 70 and I only hit 80 with a 2nd click. But I guess it must be used the first rate of heat generation

#11 Elrik Stormbringer

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

i think there have been some server bugs creeping around lately. I have good pings to the servers (20-30ms range) but experienced a bit of glitching jumps last night, and also had a fun experience where I took down an enemy raven that had been blasting me with machine guns. I killed him, he fell backwards facing up but proceeded to fire his machine guns for a good 15-20 seconds after the killing blow message came up on my screen. Very odd, but also amusing!

#12 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

The jumping bug I've experienced a few times myself. Tends to happen when you hit the wrong corner of a ledge and it'll just propel yourself way up high. Often giving up 5% leg dmg even if you do a soft landing...
The mg ones haven't happened to me but have heard a few times after killing an mg mech and I just wander around looking for another mg mech

#13 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 27 August 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Yeah, it's pretty common. Last night I was using a Nova with 6 flamers in group queue. On my screen, I briefly fired the flamers and then stopped, walked ~50m before I powered down for no reason, heat under 20%, no flamers firing. After about 15 seconds I hit P to override, started taking massive internal damage and exploded within a second.

The spectators saw something quite different. My flamers never stopped firing for them, even when my mech was powered down due to heat. Apparently the heat gauge flew up to 100% before I shutdown, and I would have been at 500-1000% heat when I tried to power up.
Yep was there and thats what happened.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users