Precision Should Score Points.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Major Tomm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWolf 359

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

Right now the main reward is damage dealt, most damage dealt. Hitting the Center Torso with most shots is ignored, except you might get the killing blow. If you are using precision weapons they take more time to fire and do less damage, but really, coring a mech and leaving the rest is a top skill. Needs a CBill and XP reward somehow.

#2 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

CT isn't always where you want to hit, though. Sometimes a side torso is better, or you can take out the legs. Hitting the legs on a running light mech is IMHO a bit harder than hitting the CT.

If you look at your profile, under stats, it shows your overall accuracy with individual weapons. This suggests that the game is recording your hit ratio for each weapon each match. Given that, if the devs wanted to give scoring for accuracy in a match, they probably could. Of course whenever they modify the scoring formula they have historically also modified the score required for rewards. Nevertheless, if they did that, it would probably suit what you are looking for.

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:17 AM

All it would do is encourage boating of certain weapons, something there is enough of already.

#4 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

Although I don't think coring a mech is always the primary goal, there is something to be said for getting a short TTK. Right now a player can spray pray all over a mech and do as well (or better) than if I walk up and blow their head off. How that plays our practically>

Player A scores 600 pts of damage in a match, gets 9 assists, no kills most damage and no kills. That averages to around 67 points of damage per target they shot at and hit. So, they engaged 9 mechs that were ultimately killed, but not by them. They may have been a team player or they may have just been farming XP/C-Bills.

Player B scores 40 points of damage all to the head. They get the solo kill and kill bump, but I dare say they don't end up doing as well as the 600 point spray and prayer.

The kill is the thing. A mech that is not dead (or at least disarmed) is still a threat. When a match is down to 4 v 4 (or less) a 1 mech advantage makes a big difference where-as 4 sprayed mechs are still 4 mechs.

I'll take a real example I say happen>

Player X (not a real name) entered a match, ran up and popped a UAV, quickly sprayed every enemy mech for at least minimum qualifying damage, then went off and hid. How did they end the match? In the top third for match score. No, they did not get any assists for LRMs and because they were well forward of the team what they did was not a real benefit to the rest of the team (the enemy shot down the UAV pretty quickly). Were they being a team player? Maybe...but I think the fact they went off and hid while the rest of the team finally got engaged suggests otherwise.

I guess all I am saying is there should be a little more balance. If someone kills a mech and kills them quickly, maybe that player should get a little bump (XP/C-Bills). For instance, an enemy mech is undamaged and in 10 seconds goes from 100% to boom, that is valuable on many levels.

I don't know...hard to make that sort of change and maintain team oriented game play. Just something to consider.

#5 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

I'd like to think the shadow cat pilot who recently beheaded my pirate's bane with a Gauss rifle from 900 m a mere 45 seconds after game play had started (before I had even fired a weapon) enjoyed a great deal of satisfaction watching my useless carcass roll down the hill. Isn't that reward enough for being a precise shot? LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users