Wolfhound Black Knight Mauler

7 replies to this topic

#1 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'm not exactly new, but if this would be more appropriate in new player help I would not object to it being moved.

So, because the words 'Limited Edition' and 'Exclusive' elicit an almost Pavlovian response from me, I decided to buy the Resistance II pack to qualify for the IS half of the loyalty event. Trouble is, I'm a GB loyalist and the only IS mech I've done major work on is the Locust. As one can imagine, that leaves a great many things out of my skillset.

My first match was with the crab and i got clobbered by a tenacious Locust pilot. Then i took the MX-90 out and did alright at first only to have a disastrous string of matches afterward. I thought they were a whole lot tougher but the durned thing crumbled almost instantly. I try to at least basic a mech out in stock configuration, but when i checked the MX-90 out in mechlab the armor values left me gobsmacked. I had to break my rule and upgrade to ES and get my armor in a more acceptable range.

Another thing i realized is that I'm gonna need help from more experienced people if I'm going to get all 12 of these things mastered without ripping my hair out. I figured I could post here on the forums so any interested parties could offer build advice, tactics, mockery, or commiseration.

tl;dr New to IS, bought mechpack, doing badly, looking for help, will catalogue things I learn here.

#2 PAQUERA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:59 AM

http://metamechs.com...-guides/mauler/

but, whats exactly is ur question?

Dont forget to reclame the 4 packs of faction content! a lot of paints and patterns!!

Edited by PAQUERA, 30 August 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#3 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:24 AM

Step one and two of every new much pu4chaee should always be upgrading 1) endo and double heat sinks 2) max armor then adjust according to weapon load out

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

View PostBohxim, on 30 August 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

Step one and two of every new much pu4chaee should always be upgrading 1) endo and double heat sinks 2) max armor then adjust according to weapon load out

I disagree. Personally, I like to take em out for a test match, then tweak the weapon load out, and then see about whether or not an upgrade is warranted.

For one, some IS mechs starting at heavies an on up don't have room for Endosteel. Likewise, some builds do not need double heatsinks. I am infact so in love with one of my Battlemaster builds I've left it 3025 legal (Standard engine, single heatsinks, no Ferro or Endo.) Mostly because leaving it with a rather slow engine keeps me from getting too far ahead of my team half the time.

I find the best way to build the mech up is see what resources you have, decide what you want an what your willing to lose.

The base MX-90 for instance, has half armour. I don't care for that. So, Let's pull the large lasers (Since I don't care for em.) an add six tonnes of armour. Maybe spend the rest on AC 2 ammo, or medium lasers. See how it goes. (It'll run pretty hot.) If you still like it, tweak. Mebbe buy up double heatsinks to cool off. Maybe drop arm armour an grab endo for more Ac-2s. The mech is yours to play with, so go, play. Design.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 30 August 2016 - 05:22 PM.

#5 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:15 AM

Update! Basic-ed the MX-90 and the 1R and have moved on to the 1P.
Tried 6 AC2 on the 90 but found I prefered quad UAC5. Ran 2 LB-10s, 4 srm4 and 2mg on the 1R.

The 1P... it's making me want to slam my head in a car door. I can't find a build that I can beat 200 DMG consistently that I haven't tried on the others. Hell, I even tried this insanity:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dcf39df664588af
Do I give up on this thing being unique? Trying to find something that works on this blasted thing is eating away at my cbills something awful.

#6 ProfPyro

• PipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

The event derailed my mastery quest for a bit, but I got the Maulers all elited! Switched to 5-AC5 MX90, moved the 4UAC5s to the 1P, and used 4 ALRM15 2MLAS on the 1R because of that dratted 3PV challenge.

#7 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

Leone I guess that would be a clash of ideology between us.
To me, mechs don't really feel as how they would feel after editing them, even basic skills make some difference. So I like to max the armor first for most builds then cut down here and there to make space for the other needed things. The added armor helps me survive longer to get a better feel of the mech as I level it. Then if it performs as I expected or better, then I might lower some to fit various other playstyles.
Well there may be some outliers that don't need the DHS (single energy weapon or twin gauss) or endo, most IS mechs I own really benefit from it to squeeze out as much tonnage as I can without too much loss for other things as IS weapons tend to be so much heavier
But then again it's just my opinion. Maybe I should try a new chassis stock and see how it plays (have Wolf hounds and crabs untouched), it's just that sometimes PGI stock builds really feels like it has too many brackets to take care of. If I remember I'll update ya on the status of the stock load outs
Cheers

#8 BoseMensch

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

I started with the R2 pack, and found that all of the mechs in that pack were excellent, except the Crab, which is average IMHO.

Maulers = 4 uac5 build, max armor, ferro, max ammo and dakka until you're out of ammo. Remember that you have HUGE range with them (1200 i think)... Just remember to lead your targets.

Black Knight = (my favorite build - non meta) 9 MPL or 8 MPL (group 4 and 5 to avoid ghost heat) max armor, ferro and as many DHS as you can cram in there (I think 22 was the most I could fit). There's only one variant that can run 9 MPL, but all of them can run 8. I run a 270 xl, which is a gamble because of ST damage and instakill, but have had success with it. I've run the current meta (2 LPL, 4 MPL) also, but love the mega wub version.

wolfhound = 3 ERLL, max engine, whatever DHS you can cram in after that. Gotta drop armor, but the build is AMAZING sniper build with the zoom module. I've had 1K matches with my wolfies in that build.

Crab = meh.... ERLLS or MPLs. Never did find a build I liked with those. The nose is just too big and makes a huge CT target even when torso twisting. I struggled to master the crabs, and havent used them since.

Anyhow, just my $0.02. Take it for what its worth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users