What Mech Pack To Buy?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:05 AM

So iv played a Looong time, but took a break, played a lot when i bought the resistance 1 pack but not played for a year now or so, thinking of getting back into the game a bit.

So to spice it up Iv been thinking of buying a mech pack or a single mech.

What should I get?!

Background : im a IC player only have mad dog for Clan, I allmost never play LRM.
My favorit mechs are shadowhawk(close range), Zeus(most variants) and the crab with uac5.

Should i buy warhammer/marauder or how are the other packs?! I can prob burn 20-30$

i like the look of marauder not really checked hardpoints much yet.

Edited by deanon, 30 August 2016 - 03:19 AM.

#2 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:32 AM

The upcoming Marauder IIC is a Clan assault Mech, so not the best option if you are wanting to stick with IS Mechs. If you are choosing between the Warhammer and the already available IS Marauder, I would probably vote for the Marauder. That said, I do not think you could go wrong with either. Take a look at the hardpoints you would be getting with each. I would recommend adding the Hero to whichever one you get.

#3 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

Warhammer is a flexible, solid and durable heavy. Got PPC Quirk, enough energy slots and you can fit Autocannons or SRMs on the Variants so you always have a variety in your loadout. One of my favorites. The Hero variant is ballistic focussed.

I'm not a fan of the Marauder personally, but its also very tanky and can get jumpjets.

If you really like Autocannons, check out the Rifleman. It's not very durable, but very agile , high hardpoints and has great ballistic quirks and lots of lasers. The Hero is probably the most deadly LBX platform in the game.

I'd recommend any of the mechs above. The 20$ Package also gets you 30 days of premium time and cockpit items. You can always choose to buy them with CBills though.

Check out the Cyclops, the newest Mech in MWO. 90ton Assault mech. Seems to be a good mech, I don't play much assaults, so can't share experiences with it Posted Image

If you want to go for Clans, Kodiak is a great mech. Night Gyr, Linebacker, Huntsman and Marauder IIC are preorder packs and they are not released yet.

Edited by Exard3k, 30 August 2016 - 03:57 AM.

#4 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:12 AM

View PostExard3k, on 30 August 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

If you want to go for Clans, Kodiak is a great mech. Night Gyr, Linebacker, Huntsman and Marauder IIC are preorder packs and they are not released yet.

I would add for Clan Mechs that if you do not want to buy any of those pre-order packs (or the Kodiak), I would wait until you can buy the MC (or save C-Bills) to buy the better ones in the game already. Buying the Hellbringer, Ebon Jaguar, and Timberwolf ala carte through the Wave I-III packs would be costly. That said, if you happen to want a 100-ton assault, it is impossible to go wrong with the Kodiak.

I also second your recommendation of checking out the Cyclops.

#5 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

IMO.
Cyclops or Warhammer for IS.
Kodiak, Night Gyr (should be a good dakka platform) or Maruader IIC for Clan.

Warhammer is a really good mech, having laser and dakka builds in good mix with one even being able to do SRMs. Its a solid IS heavy.

Edited by Ace Selin, 30 August 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#6 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

So the clan marauder will be a lot better than the IC variant?
Im 95% only playing quick match games so technically i can use clan aswell just dont have a lot of weapons extra.

Looking at mauler, warhammer and Marauder atm. Dont feel the cyklops, the rifle man seems interesting too, i like the looks at least and dont own any jagers. I have 5 mil in cash incase i want to buy some stuff but prob gonna need it to upgrade the mechs so will prob buy the mech with real money.

So maybe black widow warhammer or LK rifleman to start, any fun builds for those? if i cant get a pack il buy a hero.

Edited by deanon, 30 August 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#7 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

View Postdeanon, on 30 August 2016 - 10:20 AM, said:

So the clan marauder will be a lot better than the IC variant?
Im 95% only playing quick match games so technically i can use clan aswell just dont have a lot of weapons extra.

Looking at mauler, warhammer and Marauder atm. Dont feel the cyklops, the rifle man seems interesting too, i like the looks at least and dont own any jagers. I have 5 mil in cash incase i want to buy some stuff but prob gonna need it to upgrade the mechs so will prob buy the mech with real money.

So maybe black widow warhammer or LK rifleman to start, any fun builds for those? if i cant get a pack il buy a hero.

The Clan Marauder IIC should be better than the IS Marauder as its heavier & it can mount a clanXL .

Black Widow i have, It has some solid builds.

4x AC5
2x AC5 2x UAC5
2x PPC 2x UAC5
2x Gauss 4x ML

#8 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

I really like the hard poins and the aesthetics of the marauder, but it stings that there will be a better version of it, turns me off buying.

The cyclops has kinda grown on me after watching some vids, it doesn not look half bad. Yes i do care about looks, not just effectiveness, but i would never run a great looking mechs thats otherwise kinda bad.

Prob get cyklops or the warhammer pack so i get some premium time. Stil undecided, been running my old orions and shadow hawks for now.

Maybe some ppc hammer time would be a nice change of pace Posted Image

Edited by deanon, 30 August 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#9 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Owner of Marauder and eventual owner of the IIC package (favorite BT mech so... yeah Piranha take all my money why don't you...) Lately i've been doing a lot of quick match both solo and group que I see a decent mix of Marauders and Warhammers, just as many Kodiaks and I can confirm from an enemy standpoint a rifleman was a mech i THOUGHT was lighter than it is based on how i see that thing move / take hits. but it dishes them as well.

Some thoughts from a Marauder guy

It can shield side very well and if you spring for the bounty hunter hero you get an additional laser hardpoint in the CT mounted high, its not particularly useful as it'll usually just be a medium or medium pulse laser but walking around as a stick with one laser is IMO better than being dead.

From the point of view as an ally or enemy looking at the Warhammer:
Amazing ally. When i have warhammers near me I feel like I'm doing a LOT better. That should say something.
I never see one go down quickly. I've been CT'd by assaults before with crazy alphas and I'm sure that's not gonna change. but stack enough armor in one place and those "no real weakness" mechs shine like gold.

As an opponent: I've never seen a warhammer I'm afraid of as the Bounty Hunter II in close. I don't know if that's because I'm running an AC20 and mediums or if its a chassis thing. could just be the weapon loadout / pilot skill / luck. take that how you will.

Kodiak on the other hand my friends been running along side this for a while now and he absolutely loves them. Not much to say besides all the dakka or an assault mech that can run at slow medium / heavy speeds. pretty quick if you go for the spirit bear... MASC etc:

As for the Cyclops, I have yet to see that mech do anything really well. It may just be me. Metamechs guys say its "Tier 2" http://metamechs.com...-lists/is-list/ no idea how that actually plays out but hey, its worth a mention. I want that mech to be awesome as I prefer IS mechs but from all the observations and fighting them, i've only really seen good results from guys running eithier two AC20's with no fears of ghost heat or two gauss rifles. Then again i'm also not a good assault pilot so take that how you will.

Just finished eliting my Maulers recently. I regret buying them. They aren't bad mechs but the 5xAC5 dakka build is about the only one i had good success with. That thing laid down the hurt. But agian. not an assault pilot...

I hope any of this rambling helped.

#10 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

I refuse to believe Cyclops is better than a Highlander...

Having said that, Marauder / Warhammer packs...unless you want pre-order bonuses and can wait till January 2017 release then wait for next month. Heard a rumor the next coming mech pack is an IS mech....not sure on weight class though.

I'm also going to own both Marauder and Marauder IIC...that way I can use them in Faction play (assuming it improves).

Do not go for Rifleman....it is interesting but you are probably better off with a Jagermech.

Or maybe try lights and go Locusts for C-bills...cheap, and as what someone said:
Kodiak gets a nerf and KDK pilots whine and cry and go away.
Locust pilots get a nerf and suddenly it's all "F- YOU! CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

Edited by Hemholtz, 30 August 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#11 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Warhammer there are no substitutes. I may be biased, as I have a metal unseen of it ;) . It is a solid every thing mech. Dakka, lazors, guass/lasers, SRM/lasers, 9 MPLs with a STD engine, man just good stuff all around. Even had fun with dual PPC and dual LB10s for while. And fun to drive! The Black Widow is fun too. I ran mine with 2 UAC5s, 2 AC2s and 2 MLas but changed later on to 4 AC5s with a STD engine. I run without macros BTW. If you get those I reccomend the $40 pack for the premium time, extra crap and above all the (S) varient as it my favorite and most used. And you get that extra mech bay for selling the base model.

#12 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:10 PM

i do like the Cyclops, but im always a fan of anything that can pack twin AMS, not the most intelligent way of choosing mechs but meh.
It is similiar to the Highlander but without JJ and faster. That said nothing is better than Heavy Metal

#13 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

ok I bought the warhammer pack for 20$ seems good and i can allways add black widow later if i want.
Not gotten the mechs or time yet though which is wierd, but maybe takes a while to process. I also kinda want the stalker with ecm reward, so probably buy 1 more pack later.

edit: woho, just got it!

Edited by deanon, 31 August 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#14 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:03 AM

A side note, if you want the ECM Stalker then you'll need to upgrade the Warhammer to collectors (+$20) and then get another collector's pack on top of that for the other mech you decide on (+$40). But, you've already put yourself into eligibility for a MASC Cataphract :D

#15 Hemholtz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:14 AM

View Postdeanon, on 31 August 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

ok I bought the warhammer pack for 20$ seems good and i can allways add black widow later if i want.
Not gotten the mechs or time yet though which is wierd, but maybe takes a while to process. I also kinda want the stalker with ecm reward, so probably buy 1 more pack later.

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 31 August 2016 - 01:03 AM, said:

A side note, if you want the ECM Stalker then you'll need to upgrade the Warhammer to collectors (+$20) and then get another collector's pack on top of that for the other mech you decide on (+$40). But, you've already put yourself into eligibility for a MASC Cataphract Posted Image

As Audacious said, you will need to upgrade the Warhammer standard park to collector's pack before you can even start to qualify for ECM stalker. AND you need a 2nd collector's pack.

You still have until 18 Oct 2016 anyway. There's still the upcoming Sept and Oct mech packs...assuming they are IS.

#16 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:44 AM

Well I guess il setle for the cataphract then. the 20$ packs seems to be the most bang for the bucks, can allways grind money in a hero i got allready if needed..

I pretty much never put xl on anything larger than medium but It seems this one want the xl, just made a 2ac10 4mlaser and xl 320 as my first.

Edited by deanon, 31 August 2016 - 01:55 AM.

#17 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:53 AM

View Postdeanon, on 31 August 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Well I guess il setle for the cataphract then. the 20$ packs seems to be the most bang for the bucks, can allways grind money in a hero i got allready if needed..

I pretty much never put xl on anything larger than medium but It seems this one want the xl, just made a 2ac10 4mlaser and xl 320 as my first.

Agree with everything you said. $20 packs offer best value and i get some Heroes i like too. Warhammers are XL friendly - just twist whenever you can, away from fire. 2xAC10 4xML is definitely another decent build, one i use on my Firebrand actually.

Edited by Ace Selin, 31 August 2016 - 07:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users