30 replies to this topic

#21 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

For IS I like both Warhammer and Marauder. Probabily the Wahammer is slightly better: It's a more all-around mech and the Warhammer Hero - the Black Widow - is one of the strongest of the game.

Edited by invernomuto, 23 September 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

Well the units I would concider best:

Timber Wolf
Warhammer
Marauder
Black Knight
Ebon Jaguar
Hellbringer

All of those are top shelf mechs, some are slightly better than others, and some really shine with the right pilot. There are a few others I would suggest, if you want a challenge.

Dragon
Riflemen
Summoner
Orion
Orion IIC
Cataphract

Those are the mechs I consider more of a challenge to do well with, but when you do well with them, I find it feels more rewarding.

#23 Phash

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 September 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

Well the units I would concider best:

Timber Wolf
Warhammer
Marauder
Black Knight
Ebon Jaguar
Hellbringer

All of those are top shelf mechs, some are slightly better than others, and some really shine with the right pilot. There are a few others I would suggest, if you want a challenge.

Dragon
Riflemen
Summoner
Orion
Orion IIC
Cataphract

Those are the mechs I consider more of a challenge to do well with, but when you do well with them, I find it feels more rewarding.

can you tell me, what is your criteria for saying, these are the best ones, and the others are challenging, over all others?

Sorry, want to buy a new Mech, but can't decide and I am a noob Posted Image so... just to understand, why are some "easier" or "better"?
I am using Rifleman 5d currently with 3 large pulse lasers und 2 mediums - and I like this, though

#24 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

The criteria for "best" vs "not as good" is a little different for every mech. The best are the easiest to use, have the best hitboxes, spread damage the best, have better speed and durability, better weapon mounts and mount locations.
For the others my experience in what makes them not top-tier:
  • Dragon: squishy, not very flexible with weapon loadouts.
  • Rifleman: a little squishy, weapon convergence not as good as top-tier, have to face enemy full-on to hit with all weapons
  • Summoner: not very flexible with weapon loadouts, non-removable jumpjets take up lots of tonnage, low arm mounts
  • Orion: huge target, low arm mounts
  • Orion IIC: same as orion
  • haven't played the Cataphract
I enjoy all the mechs on this list: i'm not saying they're bad mechs or you can't do well in them. These are just the things that make it harder for me to do well in them. I consistently do a better job in the mechs Metus Regem listed as best.

#25 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:55 PM

for clan EBJ>TBR for 3 simple reasons

1 : empty weight/pod space
EBJ has 4 tones more pod space/weight capacity then TBR

2 : high weapon mounts / low body
WITH ear mounts EBJ has clear height advantage
WITHOUT ear mounts EBJ is shorter then some mediums so it can hide like nobodies business

3 : those 4 tones from earlier allow it to comfortably mount versatile setups
the only thing they TBR can do that EBJ cant do better is 4xLRM/SRM

my EBJ
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a15e365f75ef3b9

Edited by maimaimi, 29 September 2016 - 12:23 AM.

#26 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

The tbr can mount jump jets.

The maneuvering advantages you get from that are huge.

So no, tbr is better than ebj unless you don't like JJ.

Regarding versions:

Tbr-s let's you mount an extra jj which helps you jump snipe and climb. OR you can go down to a single jj on the ct to mount more ammo or heatsinks.

I believe you get some cbill bonus with the prime.

The A has nice high energy mounts but it penalizes you on maneuverability.

The best tbr build is Gauss and 2xerppc. Use tbr-s with the extra jj in comp and tbr prime with extra ammo and heatsink for pug. However, this takes a lot of skill and thinking to use.

If that's not your thing then srm with 4xerml on tbr-s is great brawler.

Also tbr-s with Gauss, 2xlpl and 1xerml on the a torso is a decent midrange poke build.

Any tbr with laser vomit is also doable as a second line mech. First line requires too much face time.

If you mount uac, think of it as a harder to use laser with the bonus of blinding your enemy. So, second line, a little more skill, best to shoot them in the face.

Lrms - no, just no.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 04 October 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#27 Gen82

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 64 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

I only ever see you use TBR-S with Gauss PPC!

Pretty much everthing JigglyMoobs says is true.

I would add that I think the TBR can do more than the EBJ. It can do everything. The TBR is a better brawler for sure. The EBJ might do ballistics and hill humping a little better.

Both are good.

#28 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:45 PM

For a beginner I would suggest the Hellbringer... bcoz of the ecm makes it a very forgiving mech... especially in the low tiers (or high? :P tier 5 is higher than 1 xD)
And those high torso mounts means you can be very sneaky with your shots... but the HBR is not really suited to brawling if that is your play style, probably the Timber Wolf is better...
Can't suggest anything on IS side as I don't have much experience playing IS mechs

#29 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:24 PM

The TBR and EBJ are great brawlers. The EBJ can't carry as many weapons but it's low profile helps, give the trail version a try.

The TBR is every bit of a beast the icon should be. Dual Large Pulse Lasers and ether quad ER Med Laser or a big gun like the Ultra 10 or Gauss means you can take on most assaults.

Just got a Hellbringer myself and still getting use to it. It's a great mech, ECM is the biggest plus but it can't tank so invest in range.

For the IS, the Thunderbolt has been my long going go to that has only recently been over shadowed by the Marauder.

#30 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:06 PM

View Postmaimaimi, on 28 September 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

for clan EBJ>TBR for 3 simple reasons

1 : empty weight/pod space
EBJ has 4 tones more pod space/weight capacity then TBR

TBR: 27.5 Empty pod space
EBJ: 28 Empty pod space

TBR has 2 more double heat sinks in the engine. Ergo, TBR has more effective pod space.

#31 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostGojira54, on 05 September 2016 - 04:21 AM, said:

Looking for suggestions regarding which mechs in the heavy class provide the most bang for the buck and which to avoid?

real Mechwarriors drive Dragons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users