Heavy Mech Suggestions?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Gojira54

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:21 AM

Looking for suggestions regarding which mechs in the heavy class provide the most bang for the buck and which to avoid?

#2 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:37 AM

Marauders, Black Knights and Warhammers are quite good, though with ED the Knight might not do as well. Ive played BLKs and MADs and they are decent mechs. havent played the warhammers but i see a lot.

For Clan the only one i play is the Onion IIC and i really like those, particularly the ONI-IIC-C. Otherwise ive heard Hellbringers are good and i see a lot of Timberwolves so they must be ok still.

#3 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:28 AM

I love my Timberwolf. My only complaint is the cost; they are EXPENSIVE...and so I only have one, instead of the three I need to elite them. I'm grinding away to stow c-bills, and hoping for a heavy mech sale. :(

The only other heavy I have is a Black Knight. I like it. It do reasonable damage in it, but it does have some drawbacks. First, it's solidly an energy boat; there is really no versatility so far as hardpoints go. Second, the mounts are LOW, so peeking over stuff doesn't work worth a damn, and there's a stiff learning curve where you'll primarily be shooting the ground. Once you've got over that, it's a tanky little heavy, with a quick torso twist to help spread the damage. It was even better prior to the recent rescaling, which made it somewhat taller and easier to hit, but it's still a solid mech.

#4 deadlybydsgn

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostVulcan500rider, on 06 September 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

I love my Timberwolf. My only complaint is the cost; they are EXPENSIVE...and so I only have one, instead of the three I need to elite them.

Yeah. My first purchase was a TBR-S, and it was not an easy chassis to start off with in terms of affordability. Seriously -- they practically cost as much as the Clan assaults do.

To answer OP, I can only speak to Clan 'mechs, and I second the TBR notion. My HBR is also a favorite, and the Mad Dog is okay if you like to play with missiles (but go slower than a SCR).

Plus, two TBRs and a HBR works well to round out a Clan drop deck if you want to run an ACH as your light.

Edited by deadlybydsgn, 06 September 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#5 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

There are a ton of different Cataphracts. The jumping one and ECM one are fun. Thunderbolts are solid esp the jumping on and dual AMS variant.

My favorite mech in my bay (80+ mechs) is a jumping marauder.

I would avoid Orions. Grasshoppers, Jagers and Cats are OK but not great imo.

Edited by Kaptain, 06 September 2016 - 06:33 PM.

#6 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:44 PM

Personally I'd recommend hellbringer, jagermech, catapult and warhammers are all great performing mechs AND are beginner friendly with high mounts and versatility.
Timberwolf and marauders work well too. But Timberwolf gets focused down too fast and they are expensive. And marauder isn't too XL safe so most run slow but are extremely tanky (survived a match so many times with below 10% health)

#7 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

I play majority clan mechs so I can't recommend anything on the IS side, but I do see alot of Marauders and Warhammer... but for clans I would recommend either the Hellbringer or the Timberwolf as a starter.
The Hellbringer with ecm and high mounts can be very forgiving in a match, you will not be punished severely for bad positioning normally.
The Timberwolf is more versatile, you can make it as a brawler, sniper or high alpha poker, but some of its omnipods combinations comes with negative quirks and yeah, people do tend to focus it down due to its history of being one of the most OP mech in the game... its still powerful nowadays... just not like before :)

The Ebon Jag is also a good versatile mech, its just like a smaller version of the Timber Wolf without any negative quirks... but it is wide as a bus, weapon convergance can be an issue with the Jag, I won't recommend it if you're not used to wide mechs.

Edited by Hunter Tseng, 06 September 2016 - 07:07 PM.

#8 FuhNuGi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMendocino California

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

TBRs are good clan heavy mechs, but if you are used to mediums and lights, you may find them slow. They can be setup to fit many different roles in combat... good use of 75 tons

I also enjoy the Mad Dogs, you lose a bit of armor at the 60 ton range, but you can make up for that with the better speed... this might be a good transition mech to get you used to how a heavy handles. They can carry good weapons but are a bit squishy for a heavy.

Hellbringers are lumbering fire magnets... if you have ECM or not, as soon as you are identified as a HBR, be ready to get shot at (same thing for the cataphracts).

Figure out how your play style rolls and think about how you want to contribute to your team, then re-ask your question to find the heavy that will fill that combat role... brawler, boater, sniper, etc...

#9 Firkni

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

I have to say lately ive been having a blast in marauders, I can recommend grasshoppers, timbers and orion iic.
Laser vomit is the name of the game, and thiese guys can ambush ppl really well.

#10 hordes1ayer

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I would buy a Cataphract or a Jagermech. 1 of my favorite mechs and the ones ive done the best in. If you get a jager get the DD first, i can give u some killer builds.

#11 Wecx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hellbringer for QP, Ebon for CW

If your new don't buy an IS mech, because you will go broke if you keep buying the wrong engine.

#12 PAQUERA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:59 AM

clans, timber, hellbringer, ebon jaguar

Inner sphere Marauder, Wharhammers, blacknights, grasshopers

Edited by PAQUERA, 12 September 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#13 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

WHAMMER.

WHAMMER.

#14 Reality Dysfunction

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 81 posts
  • Locationcockpit or bar... UK

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:07 AM

I'm going to stick a vote in for my Orion IICs.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:57 AM

IS: Marauder

Clan: Timberwolf

#16 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

Clan Timberwolves are one of the most versatile heavy mechs in the game..... The Gauss / erppc tbr-s is probably the best all around heavy mech, period. However, it takes a lot of practice to learn how to use them.

Ebon jags might be more newbie friendly with their higher weapons mounts. Hellbringers have more agility and are great too.

#17 Keltan

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

Yay, heavies on sale! Has any info changed in this thread?

If not, going to pick up some Timberwolves (S and C, not sure about the third). They'll match up with my Hunchback IICs for an invasion deck quite nicely.

#18 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostKeltan, on 22 September 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Yay, heavies on sale! Has any info changed in this thread?

If not, going to pick up some Timberwolves (S and C, not sure about the third). They'll match up with my Hunchback IICs for an invasion deck quite nicely.

I would vote for the A as your third variant.

#19 Gen82

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

The A, C and D are exactly the same (CT). The Prime CT has no real use but it is different, so if you get it you have your bases covered.

#20 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:25 AM

View PostGen82, on 22 September 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

The A, C and D are exactly the same (CT). The Prime CT has no real use but it is different, so if you get it you have your bases covered.

You're right, but I find that I use more A omnipods in my builds than Prime, so it's some cost savings. Granted the Prime is different, but not in a useful way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users