8 replies to this topic

#1 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

Hello. I have a few question about overclocking skylake and as I am not a member on any tech forums I thought I might be able to find an answer here. I know there are a ton of like minded people here Posted Image

I'm not new to OCing but having been an AMD guy for quite some time before the QX9650 and now finally this 6600k and I am a bit out of my element.

I have
Thermaltake Water 3.0 AIO
Asus Z170 AR
8gb 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance (Running at 2800 for now as XMP does not work)
GTX770 Classified
and a 1000w corsair PS

So my question is this. I am currently (prime 95 Large FFT) stable at 4.6ghz but I am a bit confused what my voltage actually is. Asus AI suit 3 reports my voltage as being 1.360-1.376 but CoreTemp, Hardware Info 64 and CPU-Z all report my voltage around 1.225-1.255.

Now normally I would assume CPU-Z/Core Temp to be correct but that sounds like amazingly low voltage for 4.6ghz? Perhaps I am wrong there?

I have most things set to auto. Power management stuff is enabled (my room gets warm in the summer while gaming even at night) and I am running a voltage offset of plus point 115 (+.115)

Temps are good with one core hitting 79c and the others at 73-75c.

So are those 3 programs right? Is my voltage really that low and I'm just experiencing .150 in voltage droop?

EDIT: Looks like I have answered my own question. Taking the voltage up to + .160 shows no change in CPU-Z, Core Temp or Hardware Monitor. IT does show as 1.400v in asus though and let me play around with 4.7ghz so Asus appears to be reporting the correct voltage and the other programs are reporting... what exactly I don't know.

Edited by Kaptain, 05 September 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#2 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:07 AM

1.4 might be a bit high for 24/7 use

#3 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:04 AM

Especially at 80°C under pressure... I still fail to see the use of an AiO if it can't even deliver lower temps than air coolers.
Especially because it seems you don't use AVX, because with AVX most Skylakes easily hit above 90°C due to their poor thermal design unable to transfer the heat through to the heatsink/spreader.

Well, that's offtopic. Probably the thirdparty-software fails to read out the correct voltage after the offset is applied, stuff like this happens if they can't cope with the small IC used by Asus for their advanced OC-management. AFAIK Asus got their own modified ICs. They're not clearly better, but they're proprietary to Asus.

On a sidenote: the thermal compound and cheap heatspreader used by Intel leave a ridiculous large gap in between, so applying a metal paste after decapping the CPU increases the heattransfer not only because liquid metal is a better solution, but because most users will apply less silicon (or none) to refasten the HS on top of the CPU. Therefore the gap in between HS and die is smaller - usually half as wide or even less - than before, reducing the impact of the thermal compound from the start.

Knowing this it is easy to understand why Skylake-CPUs are ridiculously sensitive to the way the heatsink is mounted. If you apply the proper pressure, your CPU-temps will go down by roughly 10°C.
BUT everyone should know by now that Intel went cheap - or simply wanted to spare the last millimeter since these chips are also sold to notebook OEMs where thinness is the hype - on the CPU-base so the CPU as a whole reacts very sensitive to pressure or torsional forces. So, applying TOO much pressure might wreck your CPU.

Most easy way to do it right is using a spring-based system which applies the perfect pressure by itself whilst still having some leeway to absorb incoming shocks.
Worst solution I had here had been the thermalright "safetybracket". The plastic frame inserted on top of the CPU absolutely eliminated any pressure on the heatsink giving me the worst temps I ever had. Using the same cooler, my "everyday OC"-temps with slightly above 1.2Vs rose from ~53°C coretemp using Sandy to 75°C using Skylake. 75°C in itself aren't deadly, but it sent my cooler into a frenzy, and going from a nonaudible cooler to a hysterical one isn't what pleased me...

P.S.: Get your RAM to 3000MHz asap, youre wasting performance. Should net you roughly 3% pure CPU-performance which you already paid for. If the RAM won't work with your MoBo, refund the RAM or MoBo.

#4 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 September 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

Agreed, I was only playing around with it not considering it for regular use.

View PostKshat, on 07 September 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

Probably the thirdparty-software fails to read out the correct voltage after the offset is applied, stuff like this happens if they can't cope with the small IC used by Asus for their advanced OC-management. AFAIK Asus got their own modified ICs. They're not clearly better, but they're proprietary to Asus.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I have considered removing the lid and will look into that more.

Btw I use this AIO because it was free... along with the GPU.

Ram is going to take some messing with. Not touching it yet but yes RMA is always an option.

Thank you :)

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostKshat, on 07 September 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

Especially at 80°C under pressure... I still fail to see the use of an AiO if it can't even deliver lower temps than air coolers.

My 6600K sits mid 60's temp stress testing with a Corsair H115i at 4.7Ghz 1.36V. Tested with a Noctua NH-D14 and my temps were 75+, so this AIO is definitely working better than air.

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 September 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

I think general consensus is to keep voltage below 1.4V on Skylake, so it's probably the upper limit for 24/7 use. This is considering most people that high overclock usually change out every 2-3 gens anyways (2-3 years) so CPU degradation doesn't really matter as much.

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 07 September 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

Technically, if you can keep it cool, 1.4v isn't "too much" but I'd never go that high for a daily OC on Skylake. I'd imagine you'd start seeing loss of stability faster than if you stayed around 1.3v.

The point of AIOs, like all water coolers, is the DELTA, not the overall temperature. You can't get colder than ambient whether its straight air cooling or water cooling with a radiator with a "typical" setup, right? The advantages for water are only that your max temps may be lower, and your temperature delta is typically smaller. Keep on going with the AIO, no shame in using them.

#7 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:23 AM

Thank you for the encouragement and info about the AIO cooler. I have seen some comparisons between AIOs and air coolers that suggest 10-15c improvements with AIO liquid coolers.

Just a quick update.

Testing stable at 4.6ghz (4.6x100) along with cache at 3.9ghz for now and memory back up to 3000mhz.

CPU voltage is offest + 0.115 for a total of 1.360 (Will probably reduce the OC a bit and pull the voltage back to 4.5 @ +0.085 as that is 12+ hour stable)
Memory voltage bumped from 1.35 to 1.375
System Agent and VCCIO are at 1.25 (will try to lower them if everything checks out)

Max temp (always core 0) is 79c after 8 hours of prime 26.6 large FFT.
Just noticed that Asus is still in control of the fans and that they are only running at around %80 at this temperature. Going to set them at %100 just to see how this FREE 240mm AIO compares to that 280mm corsair.

As always suggestions are welcome Posted Image

Edited by Kaptain, 08 September 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#8 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 07 September 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

My 6600K sits mid 60's temp stress testing with a Corsair H115i at 4.7Ghz 1.36V. Tested with a Noctua NH-D14 and my temps were 75+, so this AIO is definitely working better than air.

What program and test were you using? Those temps are great.

Edit: With my fans at 100% temps maxed at 68, 69, 72 and 74. Pretty good for a 240mm AOI. May pick up a 280 corsair at some point as I have always wanted one but got this thermal-take for free.

4.6@1.360v is prime stable 12 hours and 30 minutes +
Going to play around with 4.7 a bit and see what I discover.

Edited by Kaptain, 09 September 2016 - 06:28 AM.

#9 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:23 AM

View PostKaptain, on 08 September 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Thank you for the encouragement and info about the AIO cooler. I have seen some comparisons between AIOs and air coolers that suggest 10-15c improvements with AIO liquid coolers.

The tradeoff between an AIO and Big Air (Noctua D-14/15 or similiar) is often down to cost, noise levels, available space, and the amount of weight you are willing to hang off your CPU.

Several comparisons show that for the same cooling ability, Big Air beats AIO for noise levels, Big Air also tends to be equal or better cost wise for cooling as well. However, AIO's (particularly 240 and 280) tend to have better overall cooling ability, and of AIO wins in the amount of weight on the CPU socket.

Big Air does have one major advantage over AIO's. If a Fan fails on an Air cooler, well...there is still a big-*** chunk of aluminium and copper radiating heat away from the CPU. If the pump on an AIO fails or it springs a leak...burn, baby, burn.

However, since you got your's for free...it wins.

Edited by darqsyde, 10 September 2016 - 09:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users