Anyone Sick Of The Lurmageddon Yet?

165 replies to this topic

#1 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:15 AM

really sick to the stomach. Not only do they boat noob tubes, plus many narcs. I don't mind getting banged up a bit, but its getting a bit tiring of having to constantly duck lurms

The main issue is that these nubs keep voting in alpine and polar, the 2 most boring walkfests, in hopes that their noob tubes will kill something (ha!)

I'm trying to level up my brawling atlas, but will never touch a noob tube on principle.

really sucks, and I hate it.

28/10/16 edit: For context, this was when everyone and their dog picked alpine and LRM boats, due to some stupid challenge that was going on, something about get 5 kills with a TAG on someone or some crap like that. Playing brawlers in alpine is nightmare mode which led me on my rant.

Couldn't care less about the noob tubers now, except when they vote for alpine, or is on my team

Edited by KBurn85, 27 October 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#2 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:23 AM

---->Radar Dep <----

Also plan your movements according to the battlefield.

Don't take unnecessary damage if you can't trade well.

Never engage in a fair or lopsided fight unless you have the advantage.

We all hate getting hit by LRMs, but they're not impossible to beat. Including on Alpine / Polar.

*Special note: Your team also has armor, use it when necessary.

#3 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:38 AM

I dunno, I'm Tier 2 like you, and haven't seen a lurmageddon of late, except maybe just a little during the recent assault event.

Apart from that, the usual: cover, radar deprivation, AMS, ECM.

I've never had a problem with enemy LRM's at Polar Highlands. The terrain undulates enough that braking LOS is quite easy. The only exception being when I don't have the vertical traverse to shoot down UAV's and my team mates refuse to shoot them down.

#4 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

actually, the main issue is with polar and alpine. hate those maps. especially in a brawler.

#5 PAQUERA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:43 AM

radar deprivacion and cover. ADAPT!!

#6 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:48 AM

Posted Image

So what's the main issue with Alpine and Polar? Details.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:49 AM

Stop using the word "Lurmageddon". While this event did feature more than the usual number of LRM boats, you haven't been in the real Lurmageddon, back when a single LRM had the potential to do 9 damage spread over 5 sections, and the missiles had descending angle of almost 90 degrees. Saying this event is Lurmageddon is like comparing a removal of a small splinter from your finger to open heart surgery.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 September 2016 - 03:02 AM.

#8 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:50 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 07 September 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

really sick to the stomach. Not only do they boat noob tubes, plus many narcs. I don't mind getting banged up a bit, but its getting a bit tiring of having to constantly duck lurms

The main issue is that these nubs keep voting in alpine and polar, the 2 most boring walkfests, in hopes that their noob tubes will kill something (ha!)

I'm trying to level up my brawling atlas, but will never touch a noob tube on principle.

really sucks, and I hate it.

Guys like you are the reason LRMs are so absolutely sh*t right now.

If you are getting owned by the absolute SH*TTIEST weapon in the entire MWO... Then.. GET REKT... GET REKT SO BAD!!!

Grab a radar deprivation module and use cover... or go play you CoD somewhere else!!!

Edited by Navid A1, 07 September 2016 - 02:51 AM.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:52 AM

i kind of felt there was a shortage in lerms over the event. especially with all the narcing. took me all night to get my narc kills. i gave up and used my streak crow.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 September 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#10 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:18 AM

View PostN0ni, on 07 September 2016 - 02:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

So what's the main issue with Alpine and Polar? Details.

its a walkfest. 5 minutes before first engagement, then people either lurm each other or poke with lasers for another 5, before one side pokes harder, get a few kills, then the winning side pours in and slaughters everyone. Pretty much the most boring and annoying style of play. None of the 50 or so polar/alpine games i've been in since the event has ended in less than 10 minutes.

Its very boring, and very hard to play brawlers in such and environment. possible, but very boring and very annoying. Almost a 10 minute wait till I fire my first shot.

With the lurmageddon event, these 2 maps has come out more often than any others.

plus, I have a feeling the noob tubers are voting in assault or skirmish, because my votes on conquest or domination has rarely won, and even those modes are marginally better.

#11 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:24 AM

So if they are so noobie why do you mind?

#12 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 07 September 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

its a walkfest. 5 minutes before first engagement, then people either lurm each other or poke with lasers for another 5, before one side pokes harder, get a few kills, then the winning side pours in and slaughters everyone.

And map size / open environment aside, how is that different than any other map?

Its very boring, and very hard to play brawlers in such and environment. possible, but very boring and very annoying.

Not to come off as rude, but adapt. I take brawlers all the time on Alpine / Polar, you just have to pick your moment(s). Patience almost always pays off. Also, communicate with your team. The more information your team has, the better off you guys will be.

With the lurmageddon event, these 2 maps has come out more often than any others.

Welp, can't help you there. Rarely ever saw Polar, but often came across Alpine aaaand "LRMs" can't hurt you if they're dead.

Sounds to me you just don't like these two maps, not that there is anything flawed or unbalanced with them. Which is understandable, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

#13 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:40 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

Stop using the word "Lurmageddon". While this event did feature more than the usual number of LRM boats, you haven't been in the real Lurmageddon, back when a single LRM had the potential to do 9 damage spread over 5 sections, and the missiles had descending angle of almost 90 degrees. Saying this event is Lurmageddon is like comparing a removal of a small splinter from your finger to open heart surgery.

Indeed. I recall the original forest colony having fracking LRM's flying into the cave. I swear the damn things turned corners inside just to catch you.

#14 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

View PostKBurn85, on 07 September 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

The main issue is that MWO basically has 4 weapon groups...
- Direct fire hitscan
- Direct fire projectile
- Unguided missiles
- Guided missiles

... and PGI decided to make 1 of 4 groups the most low skill, brain-dead training wheel I've ever encountered in a FPS. If guided missiles actually required some form of aiming skills, they would both be a lot more fun to play (I can play an LRM boat with one hand while reading comic books and eating with chopsticks with the other hand) and there would be a lot fewer complaints about low skill players just sitting back and lobbing LRMs to get easy kills.

It's too easy to get a missile lock and it's too easy to keep a missile lock. Virtually no aiming required. That is the key problem with LRMs and Streaks, and it's the main reason nobody respects players who use them.

#15 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:14 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

Agreed.

PGI needs to reserve a special PTS server for those who make the Lurmageddon claim, where they are transported back to the early days when LRM's truly were OP.

#16 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:17 AM

Anyone Sick Of The Lurmageddon Yet?

when I was a newb I hated LRMs

my thoughts where I am here to shoot Mechs and I cant even shoot back at these jerks
later I had to buy a Jager A as one of my 3 Jagers' and I hated LRMs so much I only mounted one side of
the Mech with LRMs

I finally realized they are part of the game and learned to adapt

once you get killed enough times they wont be a big deal

HTHs

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:24 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 07 September 2016 - 03:45 AM, said:

It's too easy to get a missile lock and it's too easy to keep a missile lock. Virtually no aiming required. That is the key problem with LRMs and Streaks, and it's the main reason nobody respects players who use them.

That depends on the opponents. Back when the PSR system just started, I tried to use LRM boat to advance to T1 from T2. I failed, as my opponents were all tryhard puggers who had Raderps and plenty of ECMs. I could not get lock often, and once I did the opponents simply disappeared behind cover as soon as they unleashed their alpha. Any UAVs launched would be shot down promptly. I had to use my brand new BLR-1G and BLR-3S to climb to T1. Oh, how I miss the challenge I faced during those times.

Now though, with the diluted T1 as is, LRMs work--hell, even LBXs work. Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 07 September 2016 - 04:25 AM.

#18 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:00 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 September 2016 - 04:24 AM, said:

That depends on the opponents. Back when the PSR system just started, I tried to use LRM boat to advance to T1 from T2. I failed, as my opponents were all tryhard puggers who had Raderps and plenty of ECMs. I could not get lock often, and once I did the opponents simply disappeared behind cover as soon as they unleashed their alpha. Any UAVs launched would be shot down promptly. I had to use my brand new BLR-1G and BLR-3S to climb to T1. Oh, how I miss the challenge I faced during those times.

Now though, with the diluted T1 as is, LRMs work--hell, even LBXs work. Posted Image

For me, the AWS-8R was the most effective way of grinding PSR. Even in a loss, I would usually get enough damage to either stagnate or increase PSR. Then again, I probably played LRM boats a lot more than most Tier 1 / Tier 2 players. It used to be a bigger challenge when ECM was more powerful. But it was always mostly a battle of positioning, aiming was never part of the equation.

But yeah, I always thought LRM boating was quite possible. I started a thread about it just after PSR was introduced, to show people my stats from grinding LRM boats to the top.

#19 Plastic Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:09 AM

The main issue is that MWO basically has 4 weapon groups... - Direct fire hitscan - Direct fire projectile - Unguided missiles - Guided missiles ... and PGI decided to make 1 of 4 groups the most low skill, brain-dead training wheel I've ever encountered in a FPS.

True...though 'spray and pray' in COD is just as bad. AND....let's not forget "noob tubes'' is a carryover from COD because of their use as a mindless, non-skill kill. I'd prefer some kind of drastic change to target locks. That's the big reason they sit in the back because they don't have to close to engage.

I do agree that LRM's need...something....to change their skill level. I'm a light driver but when I'm out running around sniping and painting targets I tend to get pissy at all the LRM drivers "REMFs" who will flood team chat with "C'mon...can you guys not get a lock?"....especially when I'm trying to run around the legs of much bigger mechs and taking fire. I want to say "Well..jeez...you come on over and get your own locks!"
Still...I love being a light pilot :)

Plastic Guru

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:17 AM

The main issue is that MWO basically has 4 weapon groups...
- Direct fire hitscan
- Direct fire projectile
- Unguided missiles
- Guided missiles

... and PGI decided to make 1 of 4 groups the most low skill, brain-dead training wheel I've ever encountered in a FPS. If guided missiles actually required some form of aiming skills, they would both be a lot more fun to play (I can play an LRM boat with one hand while reading comic books and eating with chopsticks with the other hand) and there would be a lot fewer complaints about low skill players just sitting back and lobbing LRMs to get easy kills.

There is still a massive difference between noob LRM'ers and veteran LRM'ers. The bottom line is, the weapon is feast or famine.

View PostPlastic Guru, on 07 September 2016 - 06:09 AM, said:

I do agree that LRM's need...something....to change their skill level. I'm a light driver but when I'm out running around sniping and painting targets I tend to get pissy at all the LRM drivers "REMFs" who will flood team chat with "C'mon...can you guys not get a lock?"....especially when I'm trying to run around the legs of much bigger mechs and taking fire. I want to say "Well..jeez...you come on over and get your own locks!"
Still...I love being a light pilot Posted Image
Plastic Guru

That last statement shows exactly what is wrong with MWO. You should WANT to maintain locks on targets. That is how you win the match...Remember, this is a team game no matter how much PGI wants to force the Cbill grind onto people.

Edited by mogs01gt, 07 September 2016 - 06:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users