• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

I am trying to determine what mouse and headset to buy to replace my existing ones. I want to keep the price point for each below $100.

I currently use a Razer Adder for the mouse which I am really disappointed with because after just a few months the mouse wheel broke. I opened it up to try and fix it and found that one end of the mouse axle was only a thin piece of plastic. This was the part that went into the component responsible for the scroll function. Because it was so thin, the stress of using the mouse click function caused it to snap. Seriously, the size of the axle on that end was a millimeter or less as opposed to the opposite end with was at least 3 or 4 millimeters. Just a couple of weeks ago the thumb buttons went 'pop'. They still work, but are rather loose and I know any time now they are just going to fall off. Really poor engineering. No, I don't hamfist or manhandle my mouse...I am probably too careful with them. It really is just poorly designed and poorly constructed.

For the headset I use the Logitech G930 headset. There are issues with the Logitech software, they are minor. The big problem I have with these is that the plastic bracket that connects the ear cups to the head piece are a weak point. From just wearing them, pulling them off, putting them on, they have snapped. I never dropped them, threw them down, over stretched them or otherwise abused them. Yet, after just normal use, the snapped (in two places on one side and one place on the other). The are currently held together with tape. I like the sound, but seriously don't like the poor engineering.

The mouse is less than 6 months old (was only about 3 months when the mouse wheel broke) and the headset less than a year (the first crack happened when I had them for about 6 months).

So, to make a short story long, I say all of the above to say I don't want to spend the same money for just more crap. I have never had this much trouble with a mouse and headset because. Maybe it was just my turn, but I can't afford to blow more money on garbage. I won't buy another Razer again, but looking for any other suggestions for a mouse and headset. I like the surround sound, but it is not a deal breaker. For the mouse I want at least the left/right buttons, two thumb buttons and the scroll wheel button (more buttons are ok too, but need those at a minimum). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

I really like my HyperX Cloud II's. They tend to be rated as very good value.

I can't suggest a mouse for you because I'm been using Razer mice, and not had any issues with them. I do know that Razer has, from time to time, QA issues, but I seem to have gotten lucky.
I know that Hardware Canucks(and several other reviewers) have a series of mouse round-ups/reviews, and Logitech in general tend to receive favourable reviews for there mice.

#3 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

So, I narrowed down my mouse choices to the ones I think will do a good job for me, are in the right price range and have been recommended by people:

Logitech G402
Logitech G502
Logitech G600

All of them appear ergonomically what I would like, they have the right set of buttons, the DPI range I prefer and the polling rate.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

#4 IG 88

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 416 posts
  • LocationSagunay, Québec Canada

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

go for a new Razer Deathadder Chroma mouse 80$ Posted Image try not to broke this one
with An Razer mouse mat 20$ (buy the "control" one)
for the heatset go for the Raser Kraken 7.1 Chroma 119$

Price are in Canadien dollars

Edited by IG 88, 13 September 2016 - 03:31 PM.

#5 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

OP, I think you've got the right idea. Get a Logitech that won't break on you in five minutes, that being the very thing that separates them, or any quality company, from Razer. The G402 is nice, and it has the nice DPI toggle ("sniper button") that I've come to love in many games, but you'll appreciate the extra features of the 502.

In terms of sound, the G930 headset is frankly bad by the standards of what you can get for its price range, or even less (for reference, Monoprice's 8323 headphones sound better, properly driven, and they're $15. Yes, really.)

There is a very tiny selection of headsets that don't sound like garbage for what you pay, as well as numerous straight headphones that you can pair with an external mic (I just use a Blue Snowball, or my Logitech webcam with PTT if I'm lazy). The Skull Candy SLYR is a phenomenal headset, but has a small soundstage; they're around $60. The HyperX Cloud sets are all decent, too. You could get a Cloud Core and a Xonar DG or DGX (provides both amplification and virtual surround) for about $100 total. If you're willing to transfer some mouse budget over to your sound budget, since something like a 502 is about $70 (should leave $130 for sound, no?), another option would be to get something like the Audio Technica AD700X or Sennheiser HD558 and the aforementioned Xonar (this is your best option for audio qualify), or maybe splurge for the Cloud Revolver + Xonar if you felt the need to keep to headsets.

Edited by Catamount, 13 September 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#6 Myantra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 210 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 14 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

I have a Logitech G502 and a G930 headset. I would not trade them for anything. The G502 was an impulse buy while in Best Buy to get the G930 when it was on sale. I was previously using a Corsair M65 RGB Pro, which is an excellent mouse too. The feel of Logitech gaming mice has always been great to me, and the G502 is no different. An added benefit to the G502 / G930 combo is that you can control them both from the same software package.

#7 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Say no to overpriced Gaming headphones.
Audio Technica M50X.
+Zalman clip on mike.

#8 The Flaxen Yeti

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 21 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:32 PM

I have gone through a few pairs of "Stereo" Sennheiser headphones over the last couple of decades, this and a good clip on mic, or GOOD desktop mic is really all you need. Then when your headphones breakdown over the years, you can replace them with another pair of quality cans without feeding into the marketing of some gamer schmuck on the box.

Over the ear (circumaural) OPEN cans will give you less bass but a more airy surround and better sense of distance, while over the ear closed cans will give you tight bass, a slightly flatter sound stage for surround and less separation of sound source.

For PC you will want impedance under 100 unless you are running a DAC. The higher it goes the quieter they are going to sound, but typically distort less due to more winds of wire... so if you have the power, get higher impedance cans, if not get lower ones.

Bottom line, no one can really tell you what is good, because good is subjective, every ear, and setup is different. What may sound awesome on my rig, may sound like crap on another. But I do recommend staying away from 5.1 and 7.1 gimmicks and gaming headsets as previously mentioned. Get a good pair of stereo cans that match your sound card/motherboard/DAC capabilities.

For your target Sennheiser HD 558 would be worth a look. Granted you'd need a $10 clip mic, but money well spent.

Good Luck,

LD

Edited by Larcen Dredi, 25 September 2016 - 03:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users