42 replies to this topic

#21 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

I'm thinking of doing the twitch stream one day this week, probably 8pm Eastern. I can figure out the day after I make sure I get this twitch thing working with OBS Studio.

I'm thinking I would take a new Mech fully through the process, starting with slicing up the pixel art for animation, then how I enter the data for its specs in the game.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 18 September 2016 - 04:39 PM.

#22 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Just finished a quick test stream where I coded up a spiffy new feature where I could use a list to define which mechs to load for each player (instead of before where it just loaded them based on their presence in a directory). The purpose is so when I stream the Bushwhacker creation I can just load each team with a bunch of them :)

https://www.twitch.t...luxe/v/90293655

And tested publishing to YouTube too. Pretty neat Posted Image

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 19 September 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#23 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

Never been one to be able to stare at walls of code, but that's pretty slick stuff.

That's got to be satisfying seeing any new code work the first time you run it.

#24 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:00 AM

View PostSereglach, on 19 September 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

That's got to be satisfying seeing any new code work the first time you run it.

Haha yeah it doesn't always go that way, so it certainly is a nice surprise when it does!

#25 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

This Thursday September 22nd at 8pm Eastern US time I'm planning on doing a Twitch stream of adding the Bushwacker to PixelMek. This will include getting it in-game visually then setting up its statistics and weapons.

Here's my twitch channel where it will be going down:
https://www.twitch.tv/capperdeluxe

#26 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

#27 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

Didn't get to watch the stream live, due to prior commitments, but thank you for posting the video. That was fascinating. Nice to see you're able to recycle so much code as you go. That's got to make things easier as you add more and more mechs and weapons.

So, what are your plans for Pixel Mek as you go forward? Do you see it becoming like the Megamek of the Alpha Strike ruleset, or are you just looking to keep it pretty simple? It certainly has great potential; and it looks like you could just keep adding mechs (or more?) as long as there are pixel versions of them that are made. Mostly just curious, because I think it's awesome and it's really caught my attention.

#28 Gnatter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

Just watched the video, thank you for streaming and sharing the video. I actually learned something new in Gimp. I will be watching this, very interesting and I look forward to seeing this progress further.

#29 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:35 AM

View PostSereglach, on 22 September 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

So, what are your plans for Pixel Mek as you go forward? Do you see it becoming like the Megamek of the Alpha Strike ruleset, or are you just looking to keep it pretty simple? It certainly has great potential; and it looks like you could just keep adding mechs (or more?) as long as there are pixel versions of them that are made. Mostly just curious, because I think it's awesome and it's really caught my attention.

For now I'm keeping it simple, so just mechs (no tanks, aero, etc). Also just single player (though I was thinking about allowing hot-seat local co-op/pvp). The project was partially an excuse to learn Python, and now that I've gotten a good grasp of it I've considered switching over to Unity engine at some point after I've put out some releases. But that won't be for a while if I do since I'd like to get this game out to players with a certain set of features before moving onto something like that.

#30 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

I actually just remembered Battletech: Total Control, which was an isometric BT game being fan developed ages ago. I was briefly involved, producing some 3D sprites of mechs (so the could be viewed from all angles). That was a fun time, when I still thought I could be a real game artist! Sadly BT:TC development stopped in 2002, but it was awesome to have been involved, no matter how minimally. Posted Image

I don't have any assets left, but there is still some interesting things online, like the hex maps:
Posted Image

So it sure makes me happy that CapperDeluxe is adding such cool content to the BT universe!

#31 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:40 AM

Got a new video up, with development progress since the video from last month! Line of sight is now in, soon I should be able to start on some AI so I'm not just playing against myself :)

#32 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Progress made is impressive and the UI is looking nice. I like the way it basically displays a mini Alpha Strike card in the lower left corner. It's a huge leap beyond what you showed in the last video.

#33 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

And now the game is finally playable for the masses! This is a very alpha release with not a lot of bells and whistles, but it has everything I think was needed to have something playable and enjoyable. Have fun!

https://github.com/h.../tag/v0.1-alpha

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 28 December 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#34 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:07 AM

Still cracking away at the next release to make it better before I shift gears to move this game to the Unity engine (which will take quite some time for sure). Here's what I've done since the release so far (only in code, not yet in a new release):

* Added unit PV (Point Values) when selecting units (also team total PV), also to unit cards in game
* Updated team tech switching to actually change the entire starting lineup of that team to the appropriate tech (so you can IS v IS, Clan v. Clan, or play as Clan v IS without having to manually switch each mech over)
* Improving movement to move along the grid instead of diagonally or through buildings

What's remaining?

* More mechs!
* Randomized mech starting line-ups
* Bigger map (if possible randomly generated, but may not have time for something like that)

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 12 January 2017 - 06:08 AM.

#35 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 12 January 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

Still cracking away at the next release to make it better before I shift gears to move this game to the Unity engine (which will take quite some time for sure). Here's what I've done since the release so far (only in code, not yet in a new release):

* Added unit PV (Point Values) when selecting units (also team total PV), also to unit cards in game
* Updated team tech switching to actually change the entire starting lineup of that team to the appropriate tech (so you can IS v IS, Clan v. Clan, or play as Clan v IS without having to manually switch each mech over)
* Improving movement to move along the grid instead of diagonally or through buildings

What's remaining?

* More mechs!
* Randomized mech starting line-ups
* Bigger map (if possible randomly generated, but may not have time for something like that)

Looking forward for the next version!

#36 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

Looking forward to the next build. Current build is a lot of fun. I've noticed a few wonky things, though.

1. Match doesn't end properly when all the enemy mechs are destroyed.
2. Some of the cards are a little compressed when looking at the mechs pre-battle: The nomenclature of the mech will cover up the movement abilities on some mechs. This happens on the smaller mechs whose tiny portrait makes things overlap.
3. The mech portrait gets highlighted/goes inverted when changing mechs in your lineup . . . happens whenever you hover over the return button, like the wrong thing is getting highlighted.
4. Possibly consider making a little more clear of a UI element when setting your lineup, like arrows to click for changing mechs? That also allows you to go backwards when you just want to go from a Jenner to Firestarter, for example.
5. Is heat tracked? I couldn't see any way to use the OV property of some mechs just like I couldn't tell if the FS9's HT 1/0/0 ability was properly being applied.

Edited by Sereglach, 12 January 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#37 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostSereglach, on 12 January 2017 - 07:59 AM, said:

Looking forward to the next build. Current build is a lot of fun. I've noticed a few wonky things, though.

1. Match doesn't end properly when all the enemy mechs are destroyed.
2. Some of the cards are a little compressed when looking at the mechs pre-battle: The nomenclature of the mech will cover up the movement abilities on some mechs. This happens on the smaller mechs whose tiny portrait makes things overlap.
3. The mech portrait gets highlighted/goes inverted when changing mechs in your lineup . . . happens whenever you hover over the return button, like the wrong thing is getting highlighted.
4. Possibly consider making a little more clear of a UI element when setting your lineup, like arrows to click for changing mechs? That also allows you to go backwards when you just want to go from a Jenner to Firestarter, for example.
5. Is heat tracked? I couldn't see any way to use the OV property of some mechs just like I couldn't tell if the FS9's HT 1/0/0 ability was properly being applied.

Thanks for the feedback! I really like detailed feedback Posted Image

1. It's mostly because there's no end game, and there won't be one for the python version of this game since I'm gonna move on to Unity after I get this python version of the game to a good state to leave it for a while. You'll just need to close and reopen the application to start a new game.

2. I've got some improvements for the unit cards during selection in for next release along with the PV update

3. Also updating the portrait thing to better highlight when selected vs. not selected. The portrait masking change was intentional when deselecting, but I will modify that to prevent confusion.

4. Haha I only just thought of adding some left/right arrows to the element this morning, definitely needed! However, the problem is the menu system API seems to only handle clicking in one location for the whole item, so not sure it will be able to click through to the left, just the right. But the arrow keys on the keyboard do function for this purpose, so at the least I'll put a label up in the menu to say to use arrow keys.

5. Yes, heat is tracked, including the firestarter's ability to give heat to enemies. I couldn't think of a great place to indicate that HT ability, and since it is the only mech with it I left it without for now. The overheat ability then is the only real way to witness the effects of building up heat, shutting down from it, getting slower from it, etc.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 12 January 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#38 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

Just finished slicing up 24 new mechs last night, probably took me at least 3 hours. Tonight I gotta model in all the data to get them in the game! I'm guessing it might take at least as long if not longer for this part.

Here's the list that made the 'cut' Posted Image

Stinger
Wasp
Valkyrie
Wolfhound
Phoenix Hawk
Crab
Kintaro
Trebuchet
Black Knight
Crusader
Battlemaster
Mauler
Fafnir

Firemoth
Mist Lynx
Kit Fox
Viper
Ice Ferret
Huntsman
Ebon Jaguar
Linebacker
Mad Dog
Kodiak
Mad Cat Mk II

I was only going to add 12 new IS and 10 new Clan, but couldn't resist throwing in a couple extra goodies (Fafnir and Mad Cat Mk II)!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 18 January 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#39 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 18 January 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

Just finished slicing up 24 new mechs last night, probably took me at least 3 hours. Tonight I gotta model in all the data to get them in the game! I'm guessing it might take at least as long if not longer for this part.

Here's the list that made the 'cut' Posted Image

Stinger
Wasp
Valkyrie
Wolfhound
Phoenix Hawk
Crab
Kintaro
Trebuchet
Black Knight
Crusader
Battlemaster
Mauler
Fafnir

Firemoth
Mist Lynx
Kit Fox
Viper
Ice Ferret
Huntsman
Ebon Jaguar
Linebacker
Mad Dog
Kodiak
Mad Cat Mk II

I was only going to add 12 new IS and 10 new Clan, but couldn't resist throwing in a couple extra goodies (Fafnir and Mad Cat Mk II)!

Amazing!!! I'm looking forward to put those pixies to fight!

PS: no love for the Orion? :/

#40 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:21 AM

View PostOdanan, on 19 January 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Amazing!!! I'm looking forward to put those pixies to fight!

PS: no love for the Orion? :/

Just didn't make the cut yet. There's so many to put in and only so much time!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users