Will You Enjoy Quick Play With Drop Decks?

156 replies to this topic

#101 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 11 September 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

I get that
But you could easily tie a condition to voting if you wanted to
Like the Phoenix vote from Phoenix owners
Voting on ED if # of matches played on PTS

And besides
You're telling me Russ actually knows better? ;-)
Or you want the direction of MWO be influenced by 3 guys who screamed loudest and most often on twitter?

Let's not start on hyperboles. Voting conditions seems to be fine, if PGI can code it in.

#102 GhastlyGrim

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:33 AM

I would love to see respawns and multiple objectives " battlefield style" as a seperate gamemode.

Drop in small groups with dropships and use maybe four different dropsites to minimize spawn camping.

Let me attack a fortified base or capture vital supplies or whatever gives me the feeling of
taking part in a large scale operation.

#103 Captain Mittens

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

Going to be honest, this will basically, completely ruine all the strategy in the game.

How are you supposed to flank, when 1/2 the map will be covered by drop ships and reinforcements? Do they just want a team deathmatch slug fest? Add solaris arena, with unlimited respawns, and FFA.

#104 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

Wait... if we have drop decks in Quick Play, won't that mean we're stuck following the same rules as in Faction Play with the tonnage limit? If so, isn't that just going to make the mech selection we see on the field even less diverse because you're now stuck optimizing for the tonnage limit vs. bringing a single copy of whatever mech you want to enjoy? Because if that's how this plays out, it is going to be amazingly stupid and kill whatever remaining viability is left in the game. Also, this seems like a really dumb idea since the only thing keeping the game going is "would you like to buy another Mech pack?" If everyone is going to suddenly be forced to optimize 4 mechs for 240 tons (or whatever), most of those new mechs they are selling will never see play.

Another thing is that none of the current maps in Quick Play are remotely designed for respawn play, so that will make the experience rather unpleasant - cramped games, spawn camping, etc. It will also take a good deal of time and effort to remake the maps to be viable in this mode, which is wasted resources since nobody asked for this. Or... they can just do a half-baked job (my bet on what happens) and leave us with a Quick Play game mode that is as broken and one-sided as Faction Play. Ugh!

Edited by oldradagast, 11 September 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#105 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostBesh, on 09 September 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

I am afraid this may be a shift towards a little bit of P2W . As in how does a T5, T4's DropDeck hold up against those of T3, T2 Guys ? Or against other T5s and T4s who have dropped Money into 'Mechpacks ?

Don't worry - I'm sure you'll be able to bring Trial Mechs to the slaughter. Because nothing will encourage a player to want to play this game more than telling them that not only do they need to buy three mechs of each chassis to level them, but they will also need to buy a pile more mechs to fill out their drop deck. Ugh... unless this is optional, it is a horrible idea, and even if it is optional, it is going to split the queues further, and the game doesn't have a large player base at this point.

#106 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 09 September 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Hey, a tonnage-limited Dropdeck to choose a Mech from after knowing the map would encourage Dropdeck diversity... you can't just bring 4 Assaults or 4 Heavies to choose from

No, it wouldn't encourage diversity. Tonnage limit drop decks exist in Faction Play, and the drop decks are all basically "solved." Based upon the tonnage limit and the faction (IS or Clan), there are only a handful of viable drop deck configurations that maximize your tonnage while using the best mechs that can get you to that tonnage. Anyone remember the days of 3 Storm Crows and 1 Timberwolf? That's exactly the type of boring nonsense one would see if drop decks and respawns were added to Quick Play - 90% of the mechs in the game would disappear.

#107 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:05 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 11 September 2016 - 03:52 AM, said:

As an afterthought

Why not make official polls about stuff PGI thinks it wants actually feedback on

PGI doesn't actually want feedback from the players. They never have.

#108 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:20 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 September 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but Russ is now saying that if the changes to FP (where they use QP game modes on QP maps with drop decks) are successful, he will look into letting people use drop decks in QP as well. So basically, Skirmish, Domination, Conquest and Assault on maps like Forest Colony and Crimson Strait, except everyone gets to use up to 4 mechs per match.

I think it's potentially a positive for many reasons. Some problems too, but I'm not immediately opposed to the idea. What do you think?

It's meaningless in Conquest and Assault. It will be OK in Skirmish where it matters who stands last. The strategy on conquest will be "if we lose two, everyone wipe it up and respawn to cap". Conquest, Domination and Assault can be ended too quickly for the deck to mean much. They could make Dom matter by randomly respawning the circle when it hits 75, 50 or 25%

#109 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

Having a drop deck in QP would be fine if your just picking a mech for the map. Respawns in QP no way.

The exploitation inherent in that situation is too much to ignore. Spawn campers being the biggest.

#110 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

NO!!!!

the whole reason why i play quick play is because i want a quick match... aka 5-10 mins for the most part..

Now, if they want to add drop decks, so i can load up say 2-4 different mechs of the same weight, and yes i mean same weight, with different builds so i can choose after the map/mode is selected, then fine..

But hell no on respawns and drop decks in QP mode

#111 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 09 September 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

I don't know if everyone is aware of this, but Russ is now saying that if the changes to FP (where they use QP game modes on QP maps with drop decks) are successful, he will look into letting people use drop decks in QP as well. So basically, Skirmish, Domination, Conquest and Assault on maps like Forest Colony and Crimson Strait, except everyone gets to use up to 4 mechs per match.

I think it's potentially a positive for many reasons. Some problems too, but I'm not immediately opposed to the idea. What do you think?

I really, really like the idea of using Quick Play maps in Faction Play with FP drop decks. I don't like the idea of drop decks in QP for the simple fact that Quick Play should be just that: Quick. I'd like it to remain a mode I can get one or two games in during my lunch hour at work, or during a study break at home, or just a couple games in before bed time.

#112 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:17 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 11 September 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

PGI doesn't actually want feedback from the players. They never have.

you're really reaching. I mean reeeaaching.

I mean you have to have your head in the sand to make a comment like that.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 30 September 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#113 SirNotlag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:30 AM

When did he say that? that sounds awesome to me!

#114 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostSirNotlag, on 30 September 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

it was on a townhall i think. When the idea of respawns came up. Russ said that drop decks could be an idea. Some people would definitly not like this, but i am witth you its a good idea. especially for the revamped assault mode.

as a matter of fact It wouldn't surprise me if they did that because of the new assault revamp

#115 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:53 AM

View PostSirNotlag, on 30 September 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

IIRC it was the FP Roundtable. It could also have been the last Town Hall, but I don't think so. Definitely one of the two tho.

#116 Tyler Durden

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

I really don't think this is a good idea. At least make it optional. Spawn camping will become an issue and most times I just want a fast game. When launching with a four mech drop deck, you are essentially committed to more game time. I like the ability to deal with real life between short games. Family first and all that.

#117 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

Lots of folks making assumptions and implications that seem way outside of what Russ was describing.

Go listen to the NGNG podcast #145.
https://soundcloud.com/nogutsnogalaxy

Then you will see what the OP is talking about.

#118 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

id love it, the dropdeck system is my favourite part of FW by far.

It evens out any complaints about tonnage inequality because everyone has the same tonnage to work with.
It allows for one stupid mistake / unlucky headshot not to ruin your game
it opens up all sorts of decision making about dropdeck composition.

#119 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

One nice thing about this idea is it should open up the CW side of things for more players in general. Something I have noticed in playing with some of the people I know is that they would like to play the larger mode, but by the time they are "ready" they are no longer present or consider it a lost cause time wise.

My point is players have to be flogged for about 6 months of grinding before they feel they have the gear they want or need, only to be beaten some more by the stiff competition when they get there. Most people I know, even if they wanted to do that don't have the time for it. Making it a qp option will ease up the concept of having to be totally prepared, and the extreme tryhard theme that conflicts with reality so often.

Edited by The Ripper13, 30 September 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#120 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

The only thing i really like about CW is the dropdeck, so I'd obviously love to see the QP mode get it too.

Building dropdecks is fun, and it also justifies owning more than one 'mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users