Kodiaks

57 replies to this topic

#1 hordes1ayer

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Ok, so Kodiaks have finally come out for c-bills and im looking to buy one. Which one is the best. I like the Kodiak-3 but is there a better variant. please do not include Spirit Bear because i dont have enough MC

#2 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

I believe the 3 is considered the best- but I don't play assaults so can't say from any personal experience.

then again I find the more 3s on my team the more often we lose ;)

#3 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:13 PM

The Kodiak 3 is certainly the most "meta." I don't really think there is a best necessarily. However, the Kodiak 2 and 3 are definitely the top choices. I still have a 2.0 K/D ratio with my Kodiak 2, and it's my personal favorite of the care-bears. If you are looking for raw dakka, the Kodiak 3 is your best bet. If you want a well rounded assault mech that is maneuverable and does just about any 1 Ballistic+Energy builds better than any other mech the Kodiak 2 is probably the best choice. You can't go wrong with either one though.

Peace, and have fun

#4 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

"Best" is always very much subjective. As far as I can tell, the variants all have a different "theme" to them due to hardpoint amounts and types. What kind of weapons do you prefer to use?

#5 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:19 PM

KDK-2 has jumpjets and 6 lasers slots.... I think that speaks for itself. I prefer 5 so far though. but my tastes may change as I get to play them more.

KDK-4 has some fun LRM20 Artemis' though by default. It's fun to just pull out and play a bit.

Edited by Arugela, 09 September 2016 - 10:21 PM.

#6 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

In my personal experience the Kodiak-3 is definitely the must have variant... it is especially powerful in FP but you better make it worth the 100ton in your drop deck :)
In QP, it tend to draw so much focus fire it is either you do very well in it or just die so quickly you don't really know where everything went south real quick :P
But then I also like the 1 and 2... Kodiak-1 in my opinion is a little weaker compared to 2 bcoz of the lack of quirks compared to 2, and weirdly my favourite variant is the 2 in QP drop... since my 2 build is assymetrical build I can shield with my left side quite effectively and 400xl with quirks makes it very maneuverable :)

#7 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostKimberm1911, on 09 September 2016 - 09:13 PM, said:

The Kodiak 3 is certainly the most "meta." I don't really think there is a best necessarily. However, the Kodiak 2 and 3 are definitely the top choices. I still have a 2.0 K/D ratio with my Kodiak 2, and it's my personal favorite of the care-bears. If you are looking for raw dakka, the Kodiak 3 is your best bet. If you want a well rounded assault mech that is maneuverable and does just about any 1 Ballistic+Energy builds better than any other mech the Kodiak 2 is probably the best choice. You can't go wrong with either one though.

Peace, and have fun

How doe the SB compare with the KDK 2 in terms of being "well-rounded"?

Edited by Odd Thomas, 10 September 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:15 PM

Depends on your play style.

I'm a brawler so I kept the jump jets and Ultra 20 on my KDK so I could jump out and yell "Surprise!" but the most popular build has been getting a lighter engine and Gauss Rifle

Like wise, while the 4X Ultra 10s is the most popular/common build for the KDK 3 Dakka Bear, the 2X Gauss 2X PPC is a favorite of many, followed by the 4X Ultra 5 Dakka Bear and the 4X LB-10X Boom Bear.

The SB is a SRM knightmare machine, splat and your dead!

#9 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

There is no serious conversation here. The 3 is the clear best. Then 2/4, then 1/5 (excluding SB since you are).

#10 Odd Thomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:38 AM

View PostTercieI, on 10 September 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

There is no serious conversation here. The 3 is the clear best. Then 2/4, then 1/5 (excluding SB since you are).

Although not part of the OP's question- Since you mention the SB, where, in your opinion, does it fall in the ranking?

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostOdd Thomas, on 11 September 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

Although not part of the OP's question- Since you mention the SB, where, in your opinion, does it fall in the ranking?

It's very, very specialized. As a pure brawler, it's exceptional. I'd put it on par with the 2/4, ahead of the 1/5, but, like all brawlers, it's not ideal for playing solo.

#12 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 09 September 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

"Best" is always very much subjective. As far as I can tell, the variants all have a different "theme" to them due to hardpoint amounts and types. What kind of weapons do you prefer to use?

I currently do not agree with this (but energy draw may change my mind).

View PostTercieI, on 10 September 2016 - 09:26 PM, said:

Currently, (as Terciel has stated), the kdk-3 is easilly the best out of the kodiak variants. Aside from that... I personally cant make the kdk-1 and the kdk-5 perform well... So i would personally suggest avoid buying these varients (since you only need 3 to master).

#13 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

The lack of quirks are killing the 1 and 5, they did great during the first week competing against other Kodiaks but now that the Teddies are a 'shoot on sight' priority target, the lack of structure quirks make the KDK 1 & 5 the easiest for the team to gut.

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 11 September 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

The lack of quirks are killing the 1 and 5, they did great during the first week competing against other Kodiaks but now that the Teddies are a 'shoot on sight' priority target, the lack of structure quirks make the KDK 1 & 5 the easiest for the team to gut.

They're also way too dependent on low mounted energy rather than high mounted ballistics.

#15 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostTercieI, on 11 September 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

They're also way too dependent on low mounted energy rather than high mounted ballistics.

You can do allot of damage in a KDK 1 with the AC and twin missile mounts, people just hate ignoring all those energy mounts.

The KDK 5... yeah. I guess you can still peek with the Gauss. Won't be as high as the KDK3 double decked mounts but it will still give you range and clearance above arm level.

#16 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:27 AM

The KDK-5 is not meant for that kind of combat. It can do mild pop up tactics(which are only good in certain situations as it is so bad at stopping.). It's more about patients and playing with how the enemy is playing. You usually avoid popping your head up. Let the enemy pop out at you or wait until they are isolated and don't overexpose yourself. If you have long range play with building alignments. Use the terrain, try to keep your distance, but think horizontal more than vertical. It's very lethal when you change to the right tactics. It's designed to wait for them on an even plane, rotate damage as needed, and maul them! Any decent build will core or kill anything including an atlas almost instantly. You prey on their mistakes. If they don't make any you hurt them a lot and have to do what you would have to do anyway and use group coordination. In which you have strong attacks to hurt them very badly!

It's a bear. It's about targets of opportunity. It's a massive grizzly hunter and likes to eat the stupid lone animals that gets in range of it's claws. think of it like group support. Even to the point if you can learn how to aim well at lights you can kill them in single hits. But you have to aim well and be patient and know what your attack will do to an enemy. Basically, don't do anything you can't think out... And you will be rewarded with massive damage. if a light comes flying through your flanks be patient and move to get your best shot at hitting him solidly. Any single good hit will drop him.

Atlases run from this thing when you hit them. use it to control the positions on the map. if an enemy is entrenched and you can get a good angle to not be hit to much hit something hard and it will run and the position will get a lot weaker. DO NOT treat it as a front liner! It's meant to hurt and hurt badly to anything and everything that gives it the advantage. Basically, prey on your enemies weaknesses. Make him hurt every time he moves. Which is easy when you can one or two shot everything in the game. First hit scares the living crap out of them and they run to protect their open cores. Two is a guaranteed instant death if they survived the first hit!

I think it is also designed to be highly effective in groups!

Edited by Arugela, 12 September 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 11 September 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

You can do allot of damage in a KDK 1 with the AC and twin missile mounts, people just hate ignoring all those energy mounts.

The KDK 5... yeah. I guess you can still peek with the Gauss. Won't be as high as the KDK3 double decked mounts but it will still give you range and clearance above arm level.

What damage with the missile mounts? LRMs? Sad waste of an assault and usually crappy scattered damage, but two hardpoints isn't enough for SRMs.

#18 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostTercieI, on 12 September 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

What damage with the missile mounts? LRMs? Sad waste of an assault and usually crappy scattered damage, but two hardpoints isn't enough for SRMs.

2LRM5s to tag up assists to help level the mech?

#19 escksu

Rookie

• The Warden
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:49 AM

Hi guys, sorry for asking some unrelated. What is Dakka?

#20 The Madman 13h

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

View Postescksu, on 13 September 2016 - 01:49 AM, said:

Hi guys, sorry for asking some unrelated. What is Dakka?

Posted Image
Ballistic-heavy mechs, especially those which can lay down lots of rounds per seconds, unlike 2xAC20 King Crabs for example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users