Linux Upgrade/performance Question!

2 replies to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

This question is obviously for those who play this on Linux. Assuming there are any! 8)

I'm bordering unplayable, but I have old hardware.

Fedora 24x64
Using Steam via POL to install and play.

Specs:

GB-970A-D3
Phenom II 1000T
560 ti 1gb 384 core edition(G114)
8gb 1600mhz ram
1920x1080P monitor(Asus)

I don't know what is my hardware or POL/wine related stuff. I have settings at all lowest. I still have a hard time aiming in fights due to low frame rate or something. It gets pretty laggy. It drops my in game personal performance to nothing. I'm not sure if it's gotten worse with a recent wine update either... It's hard to tell. If I upgraded my video card would I likely get better performance or would I need to do the CPU and more intensive upgrades... Or is it a POL/Wine issue and no chance of fixing atm?

What type of performance do you get? Does anyone with better hardware get good performance who play via Linux?

I was looking at the Radeon RX 460/480 and GeForce 1060 potentially. If I got a 460/480 any idea if I could do two of them later on this board. I'm not sure if the sli type thing for amd stuff works on the newer cards. I know it has 2x crossfirex support. One 16x and one 4x... Not sure if it's worth it though.

Also, what are the odds of getting a 460/480 to work with the 560 ti to both process things at once? Maybe to get some extra graphics benefits from the Nvidia side. I've read some stuff on this becoming more likely, but I have not seen anything recently. And I don't know if it was difficult to do still or not. Or what are the odds it would work over the crossfire things! I don't think it normally supports different cards, let alone different brands, but wasn't something changing that made this more likely?

I also just found some stuff on a DX12 multi adapter. Would there be a version that works for Linux or something similar if it doesn't already exist?

Or could I get a 1060 and do similar with my 560ti now? One issue I'm seeing, though, is that the 560ti uses 2x6 pin power connectors. I think my system only has 2x6 with 2x2pin addins for cards that need 8xpins. would a 560ti card fit into a PCIe-4x slot only use one 6xpin power connector? My PSU could have 4 connectors, but I would have to look. I think it's only 2 though.

Edit: NVM, I have adaptors from molex to 6 pin connectors. I should be fine! 8d And a bunch of Molex to SATA power I could have used along time ago. I really need to make sure to look in my box of cords when I get in my computer. I have some wonderfully useful things hiding in there!

Edited by Arugela, 13 September 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#2 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Firstly, I don't use/play on Linux.

Next, Linux + WINE is likely introducing a degree of performance degradation that somebody running natively in Windows does not have.

In addition, yes the GPU is holding you back a bit. But you would get better performance increase (in MWO) from upgrading your CPU. MWO is well known to be CPU hungry, and in general we recommend a minimum of an i5 or better. 4+GHz is highly recommended. You 560Ti should be capable of giving decent performance at med/high settings. A 1060/480 will have no problem driving MWO at 1080p/60FPS, if backed by a decent CPU.

Lastly, generally speaking, no you cannot combine dissimilar GPUs for a performance gain. It is a possibility in some DX12(and Vulkan?) games, but that requires the game devs to code the games that way. It is almost always better to go with a single more powerful GPU than it is to go for any form of multi GPU setup.

I hope this helps. There are several threads in this forum which discuss the performance and bottlenecks of MWO, and recommended hardware. (Note that the "official" hardware recommendations are woefully out of date).

Edited by darqsyde, 13 September 2016 - 12:52 PM.

#3 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:26 PM

I just found out the problem. It wasn't the update. At some point I may have been reading the wine HQ site and it said to "obviously put renderer at Opengl".... I think I read this and changed it seeing if it improved it at all and forgot about it. Well that is probably when the performance dropped like a rock. I just put it back at default and the performance is back to where it was before the issue started! 8d

So, if you use POL or possibly wine don't necessarily put the renderer to opengl. Test whether default or opengl is better. In my case it absolutely wasn't!

Edited by Arugela, 13 September 2016 - 10:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users