279 replies to this topic

#261 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:44 AM

They're pretty good. Better than the Orion, different role than the Timber Wolf. If you're used to clan heavies you'll probably hate it, clan assaults or IS heavies? You'll like it, a lot.

#262 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

That's a mech that works well at medium ranges and with backup, but will probably be beaten if facing a larger opposition.

And yes, it plays differently of the other Clan heavies (which is a good thing). It is a weapons platform, that should do steady advancement in formation, not a cavalry mech to flank the enemy.

Edited by Odanan, 21 September 2016 - 03:07 AM.

#263 ulrin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:07 AM

Hi all
I dream of a world in which i can, in my glowing in the dark Urbie IIc, put that special IIC music on my mechradio:
https://youtu.be/iP-...t=RDgpc3cCxWNkU

Edit: Muahahahaha !

Edited by ulrin, 21 September 2016 - 03:10 AM.

#264 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

After watching proton run a giant string of 1k+ dmg games it's hard to convince me it's a bad mech. As for no lbx 20 who cares it's not a brawly chassis anyways. They were doing their best work at around 400 to 500m with ppcs lasers and ballistics. So it basicly plays like a IS skirmisher heavy like the black Knight or the wammyhammy. And it kicks the crap outta them.

#265 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostWinther, on 20 September 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Mechwarrior is obviously not a place a person should expect to find realistic/scientific engineering explanations for the how battlemechs work, but those rotating cylinders inside of the Night Gyr cockpit break my suspension of disbelief in ways the goofy nonfunctional readouts in other mechs do not. Those things would mangle a mechwarrior the very first time they got jostled around in the cockpit. Unless they are connected to a grain-mill and my mech secretly has a mash tun and other brewing apparatuses hidden in the center torso and we just gotta know the mash-in is going smoothly, I cannot imagine any reason to have designed such a dangerous thing to sit next to the face of the operator.

I so far love the mech in every other way.

When Megatron comes looking for it, the nNight Gyr will disguise itself as a breadmaker.

#266 Ironically Ironclad Irony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:47 AM

View PostWinther, on 20 September 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Mechwarrior is obviously not a place a person should expect to find realistic/scientific engineering explanations for the how battlemechs work, but those rotating cylinders inside of the Night Gyr cockpit break my suspension of disbelief in ways the goofy nonfunctional readouts in other mechs do not. Those things would mangle a mechwarrior the very first time they got jostled around in the cockpit. Unless they are connected to a grain-mill and my mech secretly has a mash tun and other brewing apparatuses hidden in the center torso and we just gotta know the mash-in is going smoothly, I cannot imagine any reason to have designed such a dangerous thing to sit next to the face of the operator.

I so far love the mech in every other way.

Yeah, you could spend 5 minutes on the TT rules and see there are scientific flaws in the game. Locust and atlas have the same # of slots internally? A std180 engine is the same size as an std400?

#267 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:31 AM

i'd like to adjust what i said earlier about that it definitely needs mobility quirks.
Well i played a few more matches now and gotta say: Some little mobility quirks would be nice, but i am doing really fine in this mech. It feels good, it allows strong loadouts, the jump jets are really nice.

About the mobility quirks: Well lets see how it performs after i mastered the all variants. Probably you shouldnt compare it with the other more mobile clan heavies, but with the clan assaults. It is like the warhawk, just with more variable loadouts and a higher mobility, but with less armor and less armor/structure-quirks.

#268 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:03 AM

I love it! It might only need some CT structure/ armor buffs, might aswell add some to the ST too. But the arms are very good shields.
It can brawl pretty well IMO, but fits better as a support/ flanker even heavy skirmisher.

#269 Aethermech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

I'm glad to see the doom and gloom around the Gyr is clearing up. I think people were just assuming it would play like the other clan heavies and it doesn't, it's more like the smaller assaults in terms of usage.

#270 Archie4Strings

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:25 PM

View PostTordin, on 21 September 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

I love it! It might only need some CT structure/ armor buffs, might aswell add some to the ST too. But the arms are very good shields.
It can brawl pretty well IMO, but fits better as a support/ flanker even heavy skirmisher.

Actually i think it wont / doesnt need any quirks anymore. Didnt have a single bad match so far, all my friends i am playing with seem to be pretty satisfied about the night gyr, too. Almost dont hear anything bad about it. Guess it performs very well.
Also it might replace the ebon jaguar. The hellbringer will stay viable for the ecm (just for that), the timberwolf probably as a brawler.

His weakness is clearly the mobility. Take care of light rushes and cicadas with loads of SRM Alphas in your back.

Imo it is the best clanmech since years (except the kodiak maybe).

Edit: i forgot one thing: They should put the few weapon quirks on the omnipods! There are not many effective configs if you wanna keep the quirks... So sad... so unnecessary

Edited by Archie4Strings, 22 September 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#271 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:31 AM

Having played a little more with the NTG, I can say it's a fine mech.

#272 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Lets really NOT quirk this more as its already powerful enough from the weekend....

The JJ, hardpoints and environmental quirk make it rather effective ... please stop one shotting me. Posted Image

#273 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostOdanan, on 24 September 2016 - 03:31 AM, said:

Having played a little more with the NTG, I can say it's a fine mech.

Totally off topic but aren't the Excalibur and Fire Falcon first found in TRO 3058 though.... we've not had most of the mechs from that book yet. I'd have thought they're unlikely to move the time line past so many things they could sell us (48+ not in yet). ;)

(Not a moan as I buy them!)

#274 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostAramuside, on 25 September 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Totally off topic but aren't the Excalibur and Fire Falcon first found in TRO 3058 though.... we've not had most of the mechs from that book yet. I'd have thought they're unlikely to move the time line past so many things they could sell us (48+ not in yet). Posted Image

(Not a moan as I buy them!)

Common misconception that a mech doesn't appear until after the date of the TRO. All a date is the year that TRO was published in universe. Mechs could be on the field for years before that TRO came out. Many mechs, indeed, existed and were used actively before the date of the TRO itself, with "production dates" dating back even hundreds of years prior to that TRO's publication date. They didn't just appear after the date of the publication. They'd need to have appeared prior to publication to even make it to a book, after all.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 25 September 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#275 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 25 September 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

Common misconception that a mech doesn't appear until after the date of the TRO. All a date is the year that TRO was published in universe.

True. Excalibur and Spartan were first published in Rhondas's Irregulars' SP dated to 3042 in-universe (1991 in real life); Devastator, Starslayer and Spector were first published in BigMAC's SP dated to 3044 in-universe (1992 in real life). And it was made clear they are old SL-designs, which were used before and are now used again. However their TRO publication was much later in 3058 (1995 in real life).

I may add that the Excalibur, Spartan and Spector were included in the German translation of TRO:2750, simply because the editors back then felt they belonged into that TRO.

Edited by FLG 01, 25 September 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#276 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 25 September 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

True. Excalibur and Spartan were first published in Rhondas's Irregulars' SP dated to 3042 in-universe (1991 in real life); Devastator, Starslayer and Spector were first published in BigMAC's SP dated to 3044 in-universe (1992 in real life). And it was made clear they are old SL-designs, which were used before and are now used again. However their TRO publication was much later in 3058 (1995 in real life).

I may add that the Excalibur, Spartan and Spector were included in the German translation of TRO:2750, simply because the editors back then felt they belonged into that TRO.

But my point still stand that they're not going to bypass 48+ mechs when they're only just dipping into that source. ;)

#277 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:28 AM

View PostAramuside, on 25 September 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

But my point still stand that they're not going to bypass 48+ mechs when they're only just dipping into that source. Posted Image

They already moved past some of them. Fire Moth rip. They skipped over the Wham, Mad, Archer, and Roflman until they were willing to go back and touch them again. Other things like the Charger are still in the past. As FLG stated, we have old mechs like the Excalibur and Spartan. Why wouldn't they be in the game? They exist. Timeline wise they are extremely settled into the universe by this point, regardless of later TROs finally publishing them (granted, I'm almost positive they are both extinct).

We've already skipped over the Mercury, too, if we go by TRO Publication Dates alone. Hoplite. Ost series. Just bypassed entirely. Slavish adherence to the TRO dates is an odd thing to stick to when we know the mechs existed prior to the books.

#278 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 26 September 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

They already moved past some of them. Fire Moth rip. They skipped over the Wham, Mad, Archer, and Roflman until they were willing to go back and touch them again. Other things like the Charger are still in the past. As FLG stated, we have old mechs like the Excalibur and Spartan. Why wouldn't they be in the game? They exist. Timeline wise they are extremely settled into the universe by this point, regardless of later TROs finally publishing them (granted, I'm almost positive they are both extinct).

We've already skipped over the Mercury, too, if we go by TRO Publication Dates alone. Hoplite. Ost series. Just bypassed entirely. Slavish adherence to the TRO dates is an odd thing to stick to when we know the mechs existed prior to the books.

Except those never appeared in the original versions just in the German version which came later by publishing date anyway. And 48+ mechs including the IS Omni's are not going to get ignored as much as you seem to be claiming that.

#279 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

They DID appear in the original versions, just not apparently the printings of them that you owned.

#280 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostAramuside, on 26 September 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

Except those never appeared in the original versions just in the German version which came later by publishing date anyway. And 48+ mechs including the IS Omni's are not going to get ignored as much as you seem to be claiming that.

What? I'm not claiming a fear of them being ignored. However, I do think getting stuck chasing the dragon is a real threat that PGI faces if they continuously seek newer and newer mechs, but so long as they regularly tap the old lines of mechs there is no problem with it. There are also many, many newer mechs (especially among the Clans) that are just more interesting as time moves on than the older ones. By contrast, there are far more interesting older IS mechs than newer ones, IMO.

I was simply pointing out that TRO publication dates are horrible metrics for what mechs should be released at a time. We have ancient mechs that are appearing in later TROs well after new mechs in earlier TROs. That makes no sense. Far more logical to look at their production dates than the TRO in universe publication date.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 26 September 2016 - 08:47 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users