279 replies to this topic

#41 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

I wonder how many of the ED whiners have actually played on the PTS? I have and, to be honest, it's just "Ghost Heat 2" really. Heat management is a bit trickier for some builds but not for others. In the current iteration lights suffer a bit but a Cicada 2B is still workable - it felt a bit hotter to me but manageable. It's just a little clearer to see when you are about to boil your own head!

Having watched a couple of hours of NGNGTV streaming 8 vs 8 games yesterday, from a spectator's point of view, there was no noticeable difference and the overview from the people playing seemed to be that it was different but not game breaking.

Re the Night Gyr - nice to see more mechs, this one looks reasonable but not game breaking. I look forward to getting it for C-bills next year!

#42 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:45 PM

View PostWecx, on 13 September 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

Thanks for the heads up. Now i know exactly when not to play. I can only imagine the hell of 10 Night Gyrs on the other team.

It'll be like Marauder-geddon all over again!

#43 pizzafly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:46 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 13 September 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

LoL.

They will lose a handful of arthritic complainers who don't want to relearn how to play while the majority of typical player flux will be unaffected.

SHS better than DHS is plain stupid stuff.
Also, there are mechs that cannot even switch between them.

#44 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:58 PM

View Postpizzafly, on 13 September 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

SHS better than DHS is plain stupid stuff.
Also, there are mechs that cannot even switch between them.

They have better capacity but worse dissipation. So SHS can "hold" more heat but DHS will get rid of it faster - it's the choice between firing for longer or having less down time

#45 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:41 PM

LoL.

They will lose a handful of arthritic complainers who don't want to relearn how to play while the majority of typical player flux will be unaffected.

What does arthritis have to do with anything or was that just the standard random sperg on these forums?

#46 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 13 September 2016 - 10:43 PM, said:

I wonder how many of the ED whiners have actually played on the PTS? I have and, to be honest, it's just "Ghost Heat 2" really. Heat management is a bit trickier for some builds but not for others. In the current iteration lights suffer a bit but a Cicada 2B is still workable - it felt a bit hotter to me but manageable. It's just a little clearer to see when you are about to boil your own head!

Having watched a couple of hours of NGNGTV streaming 8 vs 8 games yesterday, from a spectator's point of view, there was no noticeable difference and the overview from the people playing seemed to be that it was different but not game breaking.

Re the Night Gyr - nice to see more mechs, this one looks reasonable but not game breaking. I look forward to getting it for C-bills next year!

By far my biggest problem with energy draw is that builds like my HGN-IIC-C with 2xUAC10 and 2xC-LPL are penalised and have to be incredibly careful not to overheat horrendously due to overloading the draw. Having two totally disparate weapon systems like that is less effective than, for example, a Warhawk with 4 LPLs, because you have two different firing profiles to contend with. The advantage that it had to compensate for that was that it never ran into ghost heat issues and could fire all the weapons together. Please explain what reason i have to use the HGN now? This extends to all builds that are not boats.

TL:DR Ghost heat 'workarounds' are the only thing preventing single weapon type boats being by far the most common mechs seen on the battlefield. Eliminating the workarounds eliminates any gameplay reasons not to boat.

Im not actually saying ill leave if it happens, but i definitely think its a bad thing for the game overall. Ghost heat is fine and accomplishes its goal better than ED does, i don't see why we cant just look into linking more weapons if we must (eg linking (ER)L(P)Ls with (ER)M(P)Ls)

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 14 September 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#47 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 14 September 2016 - 01:44 AM

@Widowmaker1981 - don't get me wrong, I don't think ED is the finished article yet but, let's be honest, it's just a game mechanic we'll have to deal with in the same way as we handle ghost heat, no convergence, LRMs etc...

I agree, I would far prefer if PGI was looking at a "boating preventative" for the future as a way of encouraging mixed builds...we can all dream :)

Still, all this is best saved for the correct thread!

Night Gyr....

#48 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

Fingers crossed for the heavy event.

I'm also anticipating the Night Gyr, not bought one, but I'm curious what kind of buiilds people run, and if any went the obscene 5x missile lurmer way.

Edited by Teer5, 14 September 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#49 Lizardman from Hollywood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:14 AM

I just lol at the "top level" guys who are threatening to quit over the draw system. But I sympathise. If they were changing the only thing in my life that had any meaning and that I spent 18 hrs a day playing, streaming and theory crafting about I might be upset too. I mean one day soon, any day now in fact, the all the professional mechwarriors are gonna get sponsored by bud light and get to live for a week in a rent house and drive a Lamborghini for a few days and have a free case of bud light.

Ooooo and they will get interviewed by a real life hot girl on TV!

Edited by Sephrus Shanadar, 14 September 2016 - 04:17 AM.

#50 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

LoL.

Hope so agree so. L33t, whiny manchildren and ultracomps will do EVERYTHING to screw over a system and PGI bend over when testers and PGI might be on the brink of making PD viable and something way better than GH. Poor babies wont or cant adapt.
On the bright side they might stop playing and spread toxity, getting rid of the bad weed so to speak.. on the other hand, well they might spread un/deserved non constructive critism elsewhere and say anything to keep new players away from this game.
I know PGI aint flawless but it could be worse and they could have ditched the idea of having this PTS and PD in the first place, seems they want us to enjoy aspects with the game and bring new stuff (however slowly) even after all the hassle to and from the community.

#51 SHIN BRODAMA

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • Warrior - Point 2
  • 67 posts
  • LocationJersey

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

Interesting views on competitive players in this thread, yikes. I await the NG with open arms, my body is ready.

#52 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 13 September 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

Its just gonna get the same lame set of eight quirkenings like the viper, where all the good quirks are locked to the FULL set of pods for the variant, to discourage mixing/matching of hardpoints.

Do not say that. Why would you say that?!

Doing something like that again, probably, would not lead to me asking for a refund on the Night Gyr, but it more than likely would on the Huntsman and Linebacker, and it certainly give me pause when the next OmniMech release.

#53 Jaegon

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 46 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

ED thread derail Posted Image

Personally, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal... basically tweaking some builds to do two staggered 30pt volleys instead of a single 60 pt volley. Doesn't seem *THAT* huge of a deal, although it seemed like it would be early on.

What I'm wondering is if it has achieved what they wanted? Did it slow down the time to kill to something they found to be more tactical? It's hard to put a metric on that aspect and prove out. If it's not, it might not be worth upsetting the apple cart for.

Edited by Jaegon, 14 September 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#54 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:12 AM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 14 September 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

@Widowmaker1981 - don't get me wrong, I don't think ED is the finished article yet but, let's be honest, it's just a game mechanic we'll have to deal with in the same way as we handle ghost heat, no convergence, LRMs etc...

I agree, I would far prefer if PGI was looking at a "boating preventative" for the future as a way of encouraging mixed builds...we can all dream Posted Image

Still, all this is best saved for the correct thread!

Night Gyr....

Honestly, it transcends those other game mechanics, because of how limiting it is. Its going to promote a very specific type of build, and frankly, balance is better on the live servers. It will definitely make this game less fun to play once the meta sets in with 12v12s.

View PostJaegon, on 14 September 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

ED thread derail Posted Image

Personally, it doesn't seem like that big of a deal... basically tweaking some builds to do two staggered 30pt volleys instead of a single 60 pt volley. Doesn't seem *THAT* huge of a deal, although it seemed like it would be early on.

I mean, separated by 1.5 seconds is HUGE. And whats the point of using different weapons if ED doesn't make any allowance for mixing different weapon types?

#55 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

View Postcorpse256, on 13 September 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

so....cough cough...cougar next? cough cough.

While that would be nice, the "latest" 'mech so far is the Bushwacker from 3053 and the Cougar is 5 years after that. Now, the Pouncer...

#56 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

LoL.

No. Energy draw is bad, and many players will be very displeased with it. Its not about relearning how to play, its about making the game less fun, and making balance worse, and making mech building one dimensional and boring.

#57 Pelmeshek

• 2,256 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

Dat ballistic location, interesting for NTG-B its gonna be same near cockpit?

#58 Talos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 130 posts
  • LocationCesspool that is post 2016 Washington DC

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

When I see this picture
Posted Image

All I see is:

Posted Image

Even has an Aquila splayed across the chest complete with the blood of Heretics!!

Edited by Talos7, 14 September 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#59 pizzafly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 13 September 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

They have better capacity but worse dissipation. So SHS can "hold" more heat but DHS will get rid of it faster - it's the choice between firing for longer or having less down time

Choice?
Not for clans.

#60 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

View Postpizzafly, on 14 September 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Choice?
Not for OmniMechs.

Indeed!