Ams Overload

24 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

So is it worth it, do you have this and what are your thoughts?

i does allmost double the damage of normal ams, not sure if that will protect me from lrm, i feel that 1 ams is just not enouhg atm, not worth the tonage, but maybe 1 with ams overload is.

If thats the case i would be inclined to drop some $ to convert my xp into general xp and get this for some mechs, especially brawlers with xl engines, like my close range shadow hawk.

edit: I do use radar deprivation on these mechs, just not enough all the time.

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 15 September 2016 - 05:44 AM.

#2 Dandred

• PipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

I have it and use it regularly, but I have been playing a long time and have a lot of CBills to waste.

Keyword waste, so yeah, I think the return on investment is pretty low from a competitive stand point.

However, it makes me laugh. A lot. It's like having an anti-troll build. It's very situational, and requires the enemy to be using a lot of lrms to be worth having. But when they do...it's just lol

I run this on my dual ams Crab and its performance is improved. I run it on the kit fox 3xams also, but it doesn't seem to help much. The range modual is more effective. (AMS hitreg? :])

It also helps very little for srms, so I wouldn't waste the money on this until you have everything else your heart desires.

#3 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:20 AM

ok, so you mostly use it on stuff with double ams, I would like to hear your stand point on something like a 1 ams medium or heavy. I feel the double ams heavies kinda good without it, but i rarely play those.

My brawler orion and shadow hawks have ams fitted, i see it as extra armor kinda, not that the builds could be much better with that space anyway..

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 15 September 2016 - 06:25 AM.

#4 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:06 AM

With the Night Gyr D (as in DOOM!) might make this important... 4 ALRM 20s, ERML, and ERLL stock...

#5 Van mw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWar zone

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:21 AM

View PostMike Oakenwall - the khadoran, on 15 September 2016 - 06:20 AM, said:

ok, so you mostly use it on stuff with double ams, I would like to hear your stand point on something like a 1 ams medium or heavy. I feel the double ams heavies kinda good without it, but i rarely play those.

My brawler orion and shadow hawks have ams fitted, i see it as extra armor kinda, not that the builds could be much better with that space anyway..

Module for single weapon is waste of slot. Single ams is not able to "stop/reduce" anything except single lrm5. So put it on (single ams) when you are in group that also have a lot of them. Otherwise just use cover, this much more effective. Modules for primary weapon will allow you to kill enemies faster. I use ams module(s) only on dual ams mechs.

#6 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:42 AM

Since the Overload was buffed a few months ago, I use it on a regular basis for my master slot. 1 AMS without Overload doesnt do much, but with overload its pretty good. You can almost nullify LRM 5 spam and get a decent damage reduction on clan LRMs (or IS LRM chainfire) in general aside from shielding your teammates from missile fire.

I also use them in coordinated teams (4 Mechs with AMS+Overload) in scouting to counter Streaks and normal SRMs. Works pretty well.

In Mechs with 2x AMS, Overload is a must-have.

Edited by Exard3k, 20 September 2016 - 03:47 AM.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:09 AM

AMS is waste tonnage. A module to buff it is a wasted module.

#8 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:13 AM

Overload (and Range) are really only useful on 2(3)xAMS builds. They virtually stop LRM 10, and turn LRM15 into a light drizzle. (As a rule of thumb a single basic AMS will take out 3-4 LRMs). Stacked on the few builds with existing AMS quirks, you become the umbrella.

I do use it on single AMS builds if I don't have another module available for the primary weapon(s).

That said, if I hadn't gotten a freeby with...one of the packages...then I wouldn't bother with it at all.

#9 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

I took out the Night Gyr D a few times (low tier) and in PUG I couldn't do any damage with the LRM's because the is so much AMS atm... I think that we will see more AMS whenever a LRM boat is released, and less often otherwise...

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostMike Oakenwall - the khadoran, on 15 September 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

i does allmost double the damage of normal ams, not sure if that will protect me from lrm, i feel that 1 ams is just not enouhg atm, not worth the tonage, but maybe 1 with ams overload is.

If thats the case i would be inclined to drop some $ to convert my xp into general xp and get this for some mechs, especially brawlers with xl engines, like my close range shadow hawk.

AMS is worth the tonnage if you run into a lot of LRMs. If you don't, then of course it isn't - so the efficacy of the system will vary with your tier, server, and playing times. Since you're looking for additional counters for LRMs, I'm guessing you do run into them regularly. So, vaccinate your @#$#@%^ Battlemech. =) As for overload? Well, that module slot is probably better used for a weapon module' I'd only use it for a dedicated anti-missile platform like the Triple-AMS Kit Fox. You're usually better off focusing on weapons.

A word on AMS: this system is often highly underrated. Part of the reason is that many competitive players don't use it, as they generally regard LRMs as a sub-par weapon system, so it's not common enough to justify the tonnage for AMS. Thus, all the people blindly aping the competitive players think that AMS isn't worthwhile in their games, where tactics, weapons, and skill levels are quite different - this is an obvious fallacy. The other part is that its detractors fail at math. If you're getting hit with a volley of 30 lrms, and the AMS system only destroys three of them, you're still getting a damage reduction of 10%. That's small, but not inconsequential - yet the real strength of AMS is the herd immunity factor, because your teammates' AMS can also protect you. So with even just two other teammates worth of AMS coverage, you're looking at 30% damage reduction as long as the ammo lasts. It's not going to totally protect you from damage, but it will push the LRM jockey's effectiveness down into the basement and dramatically reduce his contribution to the match. The AMS system's small individual protection is worthwhile because AMS systems are cumulative.

Too often the same people who claim LRMs are overpowered, noskill weapons are also refusing to spend less than two tons out of 65-100 tons for AMS.

Edited by Void Angel, 28 September 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#11 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:33 PM

Basically what Void Angel said.

I tend to use AMS overload on mechs that can take 2 or more but i do sometimes put one on my assaults if i dont have enough modules for them (i always take an AMS) and it seems to improve a lot. But AMS is entirely situational.

My Wolfhound-1B with both AMS modules gets 2 AMS with 30% range bonus, 10% firerate and 2.5+ damage. i take 8000 rounds for it. I have had a lot of games where it doesnt use more than 400 of them making it useless. But there have been those games where Ive run out of ammo in 5 minutes. So it is situational for myself at least but so much fun standing with your allies and shredding the incoming rain.
Anyway i like AMS and find it is mostly worth the weight.

#12 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:35 PM

Depends on a lot of variables.

First and foremost, what your other weapons are, and how much they would benefit of modules. Oftentimes I find that I could really benefit of range modules for two weapon types I'm running, or a cooldown module for a low-heat weapon I'm boating. So AMS overload gets the short straw.

I would never use the mixed weapon/mech module slot (through mastering the 'mech) on AMS overload: there are more crucial 'mech modules.

I personally would never run it unless I pack more than one AMS -- that's when it starts to become a substantial force multiplier.

Whether briging AMS is useful in general depends on where you play. If you run into a lot of LRM's, and if you play at a level where your team mates aren't too great about keeping themselves safe from LRM's, 2xAMS with overload will put a serious dent on LRM's targetting you or nearby friendlies.

#13 Dick Shipley

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm with void angel on this one as well. Ams is a bit more for team support than saving your own hide. If you help keep your teammates alive, there's less chance of getting yourself focused. There's a big difference between having some ams and having no ams, in which case every enemy mist lynx and grasshopper with a lrm5 can sip pinacoladas and discuss the pros and cons of scrap booking.

In my experience, I feel ams is most effective mounted on a brawler mech with the ams range module (rather than overdrive if you have to pick). In a brawler build, I tend position myself behind cover right at the front line. With the range module, any lrms sailing overhead get whittled away almost their entire flight time. Used in his way, even a single ams can shoot down 10-15 missles. In my triple ams small pulse nova, only a massive quantity of inner sphere lrms have any hope of reaching their target.

Edited by Dick Shipley, 03 October 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#14 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

I find it fun now and then, when an 'Event' means every man and his dog has LuRMs. I ran a dual AMS firestarter with range & overload in continious heavy rain and felt completely untouchable.

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

Oh yeah, that's always fun. Always vaccinate your Battlemechs during an event, anyway.Posted Image

#16 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

My brawlers are usually equiped(when maxed) with radar deprivation, seismic sensor, main weapon cooldown, range. coolshot 9by9 and artillery strike.

My plan is to skip seismic sensor, and use uav instead of arti strike, then get ams overload or range.

So Im not really gonna miss out on any "main weapon" modules

I think the guys who think a ams is waste of ton dont realise its 1.5 ton(including ammo) and many times you are locked out of anything to use really because of slots, a double heatsink is 3 slots for example, which is the main contender usually.

Seems like the verdict is its good, im at 10k general xp atm so will get it when i have enough and try it out.

I stil would like a clear answer if i should use overload or range

Edited by Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran, 09 October 2016 - 01:18 AM.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

Do not skip Seismic Sensor. You'll use it constantly, even on a long-range 'mech. The only time I don't have Seismic is when I have to choose between it and Radar Deprivation, with no ECM.

As for which of the two to go with, it's a simple choice - do you want to protect yourself, or shield the team? Unless you're running a double/triple AMS setup and want to be a mobile LRM shield, go with Overload; you'll waste less ammo protecting your teammates who didn't bring the system.

#18 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

ok so I finally bought ams overload, trying it out on my ONI-VA brawler..
Not sure if iv noticed any difference really yet, only 2-3 games but yeah i do miss my seismic a bit, but when I really want to know where people are I at least have 1 shot of uav to throw up..

I also plan to test it on my battlemaster-2c with dual ams when i have the extra module slot. Think it might be more effective there, but ofc its all about what you are facing if its gonna make a difference.

#19 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:54 AM

A mention for light mechs. Often, if you are tearing around across enemy lines, LRM's ar the things most likely to kill you. I will run overload if I have a spare module slot, and definitely with dual ams set-ups. Dual ams and half a ton off ammo will give me a short window of relative immunity. I just keep the ams off until I hear the incoming warning. If I'm dancing around trying to finish off an isolated assault mech I'm pretty hard to hit, but will bring in the enemy teams LRM spam hard.

Overload is better in the type of set-up. Range works better for team support AMS. I'm told anyway. I don't have the range module. As mentioned before, it's better to think of it in terms of % damage reduced rather that a hard counter. In the case of a fast light mech it stack's with other mitigating factors like traveling fast, torso twisting etc.

#20 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostMike Oakenwall - the khadoran, on 15 September 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

it is worth when you run a 3AMS anything (nova, kitfox, etc) and just laugh at the lrm clicker sending those useless tracking things at you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users