Best Cicada For Triple Er Large Lasers?

12 replies to this topic

#1 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

Iam having hard time deciding which variant would be the best for the job. I have the 2A, 2B and 3M variants. I have been running them all with about the same build, but still cant tell which is best for the job. They all have their upsides and downsides.

3M
+ ECM
+ 10% Range
+ 15% Cooldown
+ 10% Range
- Runs very hot

2A
+ 15% Laser duration
+ 10% Range
- Runs hot
- Least amount of health

2B
+ 20% energy heat generation
+ 20% energy cooldown
+ Best agility quirks out of the three
+ Two lasers on the arm
+ Runs coolest
+ Extra module slot
- Least amount of range

Currently Iam leaning towards the 2B. The heat generation quirk really help a lot and I have been able to even cut down one heatsink to go for an XL295 instead of XL280 which I run on the other two because it just runs so much cooler. Not to mention the cooldown quirk which is handy if I can keep shooting someone nonstop. The extra module slot allows me to have Seismic, Radar Deprivation and 4x zoom.

ECM on 3M is really the biggest thing, but I feel like it really only gives me one free shot here and there since then everyone will know where Iam due to the long lasting laser beams. Its definately the hottest of the three. However because of the ECM I dont necessarily need the Radar Deprivation module which allows me to use the 4x Zoom with the Seismic.

2A biggest deal is the laser duration which definately helps putting the damage on one component as the burn time on ER Large Lasers is very long.. But thats pretty much it. I have to replace Seismic with 4x Zoom and it has the least amount of structure quirks.

Which one do you guys prefer and why?

#2 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

I would say 2B, but not for the reasons you stated.

I would also run a xl280 and run one more double heat sink as you stated that you removed to go xl295.

I really think that extra heat eff. and cool down quirk is the key to amount of damage you apply in close, when battle gets inside 300-400 meter, which at some point it ALWAYS does.

But more speed is also always nice.... so it depends how you like to play.

If you want to poke, then 1 erll and 2 ll, if your more near the middle pack player, then 3 LL, if your more of a sniper, then 3 ERLL..

Play style determines it all.

.. but fyi, I play fast mechs, and if I see a Cicada in the rear blasting away.. I almost always flank and harass the sniper, Cicada usually over heast, runs off, or dies, as I circle strafe.

Enjoi

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

2B. Heat and arm mounts.

#4 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

3m all the way

sacrifice leg armor. let ecm be your savior. pray to the ecm as you pray to rngeesus

the trick not to explode is to have 1erll + 2ll and get the LL range mods.
it gives you the range you need and it becomes manageable

#5 Malavai Fletcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 143 posts
  • LocationErrrrr....C3?

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:33 PM

To be honest,none of them,its far too hot to be effective.

3LL is the much better option.

#6 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 03:53 AM

View PostMalavai Fletcher, on 16 September 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

To be honest,none of them,its far too hot to be effective.

3LL is the much better option.

Actually I just tested it on River City. With 3M that has XL280, one extra heat sink and 3xLL you can fire 4 times and then you have to wait about 3 seconds to fire one more to avoid overheating. With 2B with XL295, one extra heat sink and 3xERLL you can do the exact same thing. So on that one its not any hotter than having 3xLL on the other two variants but you will be faster and have more range.

View PostFlak Kannon, on 16 September 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

I would say 2B, but not for the reasons you stated.

I would also run a xl280 and run one more double heat sink as you stated that you removed to go xl295.

I really think that extra heat eff. and cool down quirk is the key to amount of damage you apply in close, when battle gets inside 300-400 meter, which at some point it ALWAYS does.

But more speed is also always nice.... so it depends how you like to play.

If you want to poke, then 1 erll and 2 ll, if your more near the middle pack player, then 3 LL, if your more of a sniper, then 3 ERLL..

Play style determines it all.

.. but fyi, I play fast mechs, and if I see a Cicada in the rear blasting away.. I almost always flank and harass the sniper, Cicada usually over heast, runs off, or dies, as I circle strafe.

Enjoi

Fair point. Being cooler sure helps when it gets closer range battle, but bigger engine on the other hand helps me keep the distance a bit better with that extra ~8kph I get from it. So guess its good either way.

All my other mechs are build for brawling and under 300 meter range in general so I wanted to have one sniper now that I got the 4x zoom module from Cyclops preorder. In fact I enjoy running the 3M with UAC5 + 4 medium lasers more than trying to snipe with it.

Iam not too sure about mixing ERLL and LL due to their different range and burn times. But I will give it a try.

#7 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

For sniper build ?
3F i would say ...

Quirks are pretty decent 10% heat 20% cooldown and 10% duration ( welcome with ERLLs )
And more than this, you have JJs available and also it give you opportunity to reach all snipers spots on every maps.
3erll or 2erll + 2 mediums lasers ( or better: 2 flamers )

Edited by Idealsuspect, 25 September 2016 - 12:14 AM.

#8 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:22 AM

3m or 3F. I think the ECM makes using the ERLL much safer. Even with radar deprivation, if you are in the sensor range you can be targeted and TBH, once that red box comes up you can be hit. With the ecm they actually have to see your tiny little mech.

I use my 3B as a kiting brawler and 2A as a skirmisher.

#9 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

I'm not a fan of ERLLs personally, especially on a squishy mech where the extra face-time can get you killed. ECM/ERLL is a logical combo if you can get used to the heat (or lower speed). In the PTS they are testing lower burn times for ER lasers so that might become more attractive in time.

I have a 2A(C) running mediums from a challenge reward, 2B running MPL, and the loyalty 3F with peeps. 3C with the one super-quirked ERPPC could be fun, but buying a mech just because of the quirks is a surefire way to curse it and bring upon the wrath of the nerf-bat.

#10 PaquIS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:12 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 24 September 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

For sniper build ?
3F i would say ...

Quirks are pretty decent 10% heat 20% cooldown and 10% duration ( welcome with ERLLs )
And more than this, you have JJs available and also it give you opportunity to reach all snipers spots on every maps.
3erll or 2erll + 2 mediums lasers ( or better: 2 flamers )

I just recently bought the 3F now that it came available for cbills. Currently Iam running it with 3xML, 1xLPL, XL300 and 7 jumpjets. I will try the 3x ERLL once I get it mastered but I will need to cut down from jumpjets + engine size quite a bit and even then it will be clearly hotter than 2B. So I believe the 2B will remain superior for the job.

#11 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:04 AM

3M is the most obvious choice because of ECM. Personally I would take the 3F. For an ERLL build, I think laser duration is the most important factor. The 2A does that slightly better, but the rest of the 3F quirks more than make up for it.

#12 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:10 AM

View PostPaquIS, on 27 September 2016 - 05:12 AM, said:

I just recently bought the 3F now that it came available for cbills. Currently Iam running it with 3xML, 1xLPL, XL300 and 7 jumpjets. I will try the 3x ERLL once I get it mastered but I will need to cut down from jumpjets + engine size quite a bit and even then it will be clearly hotter than 2B. So I believe the 2B will remain superior for the job.

Well it depend how you play .. me i play with only 2ERLLs on shadowcat and i do better scores than if i did play with 3ERLLs... you just need to shoot everytime and survive long time Posted Image coze sustained damage are almost same due of lack of cooling efficiency.

And my ciccadas ( EM and 2A ) have 2ERLLs too + other bracket weapons and heatsink of course. But well for an IS mech i could understand that playing 3ERLLs offer also a good playing time.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 27 September 2016 - 06:15 AM.

#13 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

for the playstyle you said in the opening post, I'd stick to the 3M, but only 2ERLL ... you'll always be killed, if you cant change your position often and quickly

- ECM
- energy weapons on torso ( full leg armor, 3 armor on arms )
- 325 / 335 xl engine, giving 10 or 11 tons for weapons but still 140+ kph ( with ecm )

and I'd take a coolshot 9x9 .... because, your going to overheat it .... its merely a matter of time ... and that's the other thing ... for this build to work ... your going to need, the right team, on the right map ... your going to have some games, when its going to be nearly impossible to win ... but others, that go to nearly full time on a big map like polar, you can rack up over 1000 dmg if you nail the playstyle ....

during the CDA event, the top mechs were the 2B, but again it came down to playstyle, and the goal during that event, was to do as much damage as you could, as quickly as you could .... normally, my 3M carries 4 MPL, which tends to do more damage .... but you don't get to annoy people as much ... the 3M's didn't do so well on the event, they took to long on average to dish out as much damage, in comparison to the 2B's running around like headless chickens with pinpoint MPL's ....

Edited by NARC BAIT, 27 September 2016 - 07:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users