#61 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 20 September 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

Indirectly though, it makes it easier to avoid (not that it isn't the case already).

The only time chain firing LRMs is a good idea is when the target is extraordinarily vulnerable. It's less than effective for anyone that is always in good cover.
Obviously.

But this has nothing to do with chain-fire, just not group firing 50+ tubes at a time. Fundamentally the same as ghost heat really, except now you're not screwed by 10/15/20 tube launchers having the same launcher limit.

2 lrm20, 3lrm15, 4lrm10,8lrm5 group firing g (or combination thereof).

Sadly, our firing options suck. Chainfire is nearly always bad, but sometimes group fire isnt ideal either.

#62 Daemon04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationYou can google Mozartkugel or you can scan an Austrian.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

I tried the pts today again while the servers went down for maintenance but it seems that the energy draw is not listed at all and the animation and sounds are not showing up while boatloading my mech and alpha'ing everything in sight. Was it because of the maintenance or are the changes to the PTS not finished yet?
I kept alphaing and would not shut down nor get excessive heat penalties.

#63 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostDaemon04, on 20 September 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

I tried the pts today again while the servers went down for maintenance but it seems that the energy draw is not listed at all and the animation and sounds are not showing up while boatloading my mech and alpha'ing everything in sight. Was it because of the maintenance or are the changes to the PTS not finished yet?
I kept alphaing and would not shut down nor get excessive heat penalties.

Mooooooooooooooooooooom! Dawmon04 broke the PTS... again!

#64 Daemon04

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationYou can google Mozartkugel or you can scan an Austrian.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 20 September 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Mooooooooooooooooooooom! Dawmon04 broke the PTS... again!

Haha, yea.

Edited by Daemon04, 20 September 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#65 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 03 October 2016 - 05:21 AM

easy... use same rules MW4 not hard only need like more years this game sty on plz.

#66 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

View PostTordin, on 18 September 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Yeah. I have tested and found it better that the trainwreck Ghost Heat we have now. Its so freaking odd that before and maybe still, there are players that cant stand ghost heat, but now, NOW they have found a new scapegoat which are power draw.
By no powers on earth must PGI be allowed to experiment to find something that works for the better! Some bigots forgot that mwo are one of those games thats always in development/ experiment stage.
Sure neither GH or PW might be the systems that should do mech combat justice for immersion and balance, but they gotta try.

I fear the doomsayers, ultracomps and even saltyvets will make sure that PD will NOT come to pass, just to avoid getting their ego hammered down if that comes to pass and PD will work with the intent to break the alpha strike l33t warrior mentality that festers around here.
Alpha strike should be limited and only be used as last resort, at least not as often as ghost heat allows.
I feel the PD are kinder to mixed builds now, which Im happy with, though still needs tweaking.
Cant stand another PTS go bonkers down because of one singlular fault that could be corrected, like with the laser lock on from the role warfare thing PGI had going on for a while back. PGI got scared of death threatening l33t players fearing their comfort zone would be crushed, so they scrapped even the awesome stuff they had going for.

I hope PD will give a real kick to the gronads of you naysayers! Lets see how it all will turn once PD hopefully go fully live. I mean, you could always whine, beg and threat PGI to give us Ghost heat back, now wont you?

I haven't played MWO for quite a while, but I'm glad to see they are trying to get rid of ghost heat. This draw method is fairly intuitive and if done properly should work very well.

Heck if they go far enough with it they might not need to keep doubling/tripling mechs armor/structure values and can stick to something closer to the original.

*edit*

So while this is all going on, it seems like a good time to promote the ability to chain group fire like in previous MW games? i.e. you can hold down a specific fire button that will cycle through weapon group 1-2-3-4-5 firing them each 0.5sec apart instead of individual weapons.

I mean, most people who would like to do that already do via macro's but it'd be nice to have it as an ingame feature.

Edited by Asmosis, 07 October 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#67 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostAsmosis, on 07 October 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

I haven't played MWO for quite a while, but I'm glad to see they are trying to get rid of ghost heat. This draw method is fairly intuitive and if done properly should work very well.

Heck if they go far enough with it they might not need to keep doubling/tripling mechs armor/structure values and can stick to something closer to the original.

*edit*

So while this is all going on, it seems like a good time to promote the ability to chain group fire like in previous MW games? i.e. you can hold down a specific fire button that will cycle through weapon group 1-2-3-4-5 firing them each 0.5sec apart instead of individual weapons.

I mean, most people who would like to do that already do via macro's but it'd be nice to have it as an ingame feature.

We do have a chainfire setting available in game (though honestly I don't see it used as often as it probably should.. maybe the Academy needs to do some extra to promote it?). When you are in your weapon groups in game with the arrow keys, hitting backspace will activate chainfire for the group you are currently sitting on. You'll know a group is set to chain if you see a black shading scrolling/blinking through the weapons.

One question for the chain users while the topic is up... I've done some testing on the test grounds and it seems that I get a big lift in cooling for burn lasers, but my pulse lasers on chainfire really don't seem to buy me any better/very little cooling. Is this due to how heat registers over the burn duration vs. front loaded with pulses?

#68 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:27 AM

Chainfiring would be a lot more useful if it had a similar mechanic to the Arm Lock/Unlock toggle. That way it may not be perfect, but if you suddenly wanted to force all your firing groups to chain fire you could...

#69 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 07 October 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

Chainfiring would be a lot more useful if it had a similar mechanic to the Arm Lock/Unlock toggle. That way it may not be perfect, but if you suddenly wanted to force all your firing groups to chain fire you could...

That said with the new ED having just a 0.5 sec gap isn't much use in some cases ... now being able to change the gap would make it far more useful.

#70 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostMorggo, on 07 October 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

We do have a chainfire setting available in game (though honestly I don't see it used as often as it probably should.. maybe the Academy needs to do some extra to promote it?). When you are in your weapon groups in game with the arrow keys, hitting backspace will activate chainfire for the group you are currently sitting on. You'll know a group is set to chain if you see a black shading scrolling/blinking through the weapons.

One question for the chain users while the topic is up... I've done some testing on the test grounds and it seems that I get a big lift in cooling for burn lasers, but my pulse lasers on chainfire really don't seem to buy me any better/very little cooling. Is this due to how heat registers over the burn duration vs. front loaded with pulses?

please read properly.He meant chain fiering through ALL available weapons.
So if you had 1xERLL 1xMED 1xSL he woud fire them one after another with one key.

#71 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:17 PM

Ah! Right you are, def my mistake and mis-read there.

Hmmm... been too long since I played the other MW titles so can't recall how useful or not that feature would have been.
Now I'm pondering how I personally would apply it in MWO... not sure it would help me all that much as I tend to build my groups by ranges and such... seems... inefficient most cases but again still learning my way.Posted Image

#72 K19

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 355 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

I think you can apply the new numbers dissipation "HEAT SINK" Posted Image in the strongest weapons increase so cooldonw TK Posted Image increases ...

#73 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:32 AM

If you did not already do so, please consider taking part of the Survey poll here:
http://mwomercs.com/...tem-and-values/

#74 Skribs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:51 PM

Scaling heat up on high alpha doesn't stop high alpha (except extreme examples like 15 MPLs). Make weapons diverge on alpha strikes. That will stop the pinpoint, and actually play to the rules of tabletop better (each weapon = different die roll).

It's still skill based, as chain-fire will be accurate. Think of it like using an AK-47 in counter-strike. Bam...bam...bam...will be accurate. Bam bam bam will be somewhat accurate, and bababababbam will be incredibly hard to control. The same should be true in game.

#75 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostSkribs, on 06 January 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

It's still skill based, as chain-fire will be accurate. Think of it like using an AK-47 in counter-strike. Bam...bam...bam...will be accurate. Bam bam bam will be somewhat accurate, and bababababbam will be incredibly hard to control. The same should be true in game.

No, if everyone has to chain fire they won't be able to keep out brawler, which won't feel the spread you describe nearly as much. Let this thread have the rest it deserves.

Edited by Rouken Vordermark, 06 January 2017 - 11:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users