Game Suddenly Wont Run

11 replies to this topic

#1 Slicer

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:39 AM

I've got a weird issue where my game client is all borked.

Earlier week i uninstalled the Public Test Client to open up space on my SSD. The day after i tried to run the game and it said internet connection poor cant connect, which to be fair was slow at the time so i figured my net was frizzing. The day after, after i had restarted my PC, ran the MWO Repair tool and did some registry cleaning. The repair downloaded a whole bunch of files so i figured the test server uninstall may have screwed things up.

After the repair the client would loadup the to the password screen. However it would sometimes outright freeze if i take too long in putting in the password, forcing me to cntl alt del to end the MWO process (it doesnt say not responding). Even if i quickly put in the password and try to login it would go black screen after a quick connecting flash, and no matter how long i wait it doesnt load out.

I've done a total uninstall and reinstall and the same issues still occur. Tried another MWO Repair pass and still the same thing. Restart and stiill the same.

Now i'm stumped and really sad i cant get my mech fix :(

Plz help!

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

What version of windows are you running? Have you reinstalled your drivers for your SSD? Install the game on a HD instead?

Run Repairtool more than once after the other, was it a clean pass or still issues after the 2nd immediate run?

Bypass the patcher for the time being.

http://mwomercs.com/...client-missing/

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 September 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#3 Slicer

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

Ok running the repair tool again... and its trying to refix and redownload ALL the files AGAIN... so its like it never got fixed in the 1st place despite downloading and overwriting stuff...

Oh crap... this problem is alot more severe than i thought that a fresh reinstall isnt fixing...

#4 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

At least you now know the files are either corrupted or becoming corrupted, and several reasons for that, partly could be your connection.

Do you have a HD you can move or install the game? Do you have your antivirus program temp disabled? Is your system OC in any parts?

What is your system setup?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 September 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#5 Slicer

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

Gonna try another uninstall reinstall. Rerun the MWO repair tool and see what happens... again.

I could install to my HDD instead of SSD, will do that if i get another fail.

No OC on my currently aging system, didnt feel the need yet.

i5-3570k
Asrock Extreme4 mobo
16 gb ram
GTX 970 Gigabyte
240 gb Samsung SSD 2 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Win 8.1 64bit

More than enough to run this game on highest settings without too much issue except for some FPS drops on certain maps or when my internet gets janky.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

Using the same CPU, OC 4.6ghz. Is the memory 2 sticks or 4 sticks? Possible to remove 8gigs and test?

#7 Slicer

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:08 PM

Dont think i have bad ram as all 16gbs (2 sticks) are detected. I'll likely try OC'ing down the line if i get unhappy with my FPS. I have an aftermarket air cooler (Hyper EVO) which works pretty well.

AH HA! Following your advice in the other thread i tried force starting the different clients in 32 and 64 bit modes.

64 bit client launcher gave me the same issue as before right after login it goes straight to blackscreen

If i use the patcher or plain MWO.exe in the 32bin folder same issue, goes to blackscreen

32 bit client launcher appears to work fine gonna try running some games now

Edit: 32 bit launched game works, ping was whack but thats prolly just me

Edited by Slicer, 18 September 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

Also try running in full windowed mode instead of fullscreen mode, the former is more stable.

#9 vVaeVictusv

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

Is there any sort of difference between running 32 bit and 64 bit launchers? I know DX9 should have higher FPS than DX11 due to less special effects, but how about the other factor?

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

32bit runs with smaller memory footprint and uses 32bit system files. Lower FPS, less system load.

Possible some missing or corrupted OS files.

Download, unpack and run dxsetup.exe. Will reinstall 32/64bit directx 9c files. Even if running dx11, some of the files is still needed.

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

Install both 2010 C++ 32/64bit files.
32bit
https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=5555

64bit
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=14632

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 September 2016 - 06:39 PM.

#11 Hanith

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Some corrupted config files may be lingering between installs.

If you are running the Steam version, uninstall the game from steam.
After, goto C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
Delete the "MechWarrior Online" folder (if it still exists).
Restart your computer and reinstall the game.
If this works, you will need to reapply your settings (graphics preferences, keybindings, sound levels, throttle decay, etc. . .)

If you are not running via Steam, I am unsure where the file resides. I'd hazard a guess at "C:\Program Files" though (assuming your are still trying the 64-bit version).
If it exists there, delete the "MechWarrior Online" folder after uninstalling.
Restart and reinstall.

After reading the other posts, I am unsure how the game will react to having two different versions installed (32-bit and 64-bit).

Edited by Hanith, 22 September 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:23 AM

After reading the other posts, I am unsure how the game will react to having two different versions installed (32-bit and 64-bit).

For clarification, the game folder installs both versions in its sub-directories. The game defaults to 64bit version on systems running 64bit OS but that 64bit OS may not have all the necessary files.

Deleting and re-installing from STEAM also includes the previously mentioned programs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users