#1 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

Saw this:

Following this I read that PGI allow us to use new sounds and I'd like to play a bit with that.

Is this all handled by FMOD Studio or it's something else? Free or not? I tried to decode the licences for FMOD and it seems free for teachers and students so probably for anyone too as long it's not commercial.

Does the tool work directly with the .pak or you need to rename to .rar first to unpack the 3 files? Same when packaging (.pak), handled by FMOD (or other)?

I think I can have some fun in an evening replacing some weapons sound.

#2 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:00 AM

I did some experimentation sometime back, it's an absolute pain in the *** honestly. :P

Shivaxi did a few really good MW2 and MW3 soundpacks too, might be worth asking him but I'm not sure whether he still does them or not.

#3 BabyCakes666

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:29 AM

i must have this and my MW2 BB

now pgi take note guns must sound COOL and be gratifying to shoot

#4 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:08 PM

Shivaxi did most of the packs, yeah.

I've also experimented with it. I've spent significant time trying to make a Star Wars weapon sound mod myself, Can confirm it IS a royal pain in the ***, and will definitely take some time if you want a GOOD sound pack. Anything that isn't older sounds (like MW2/MW3 sounds) will sound super repetitive if you don't have proper environmental processing applied. After diving into tutorials and things, I can only imagine how long it took Shivaxi to do his packs.

Most people think it's as simple as dragging and replacing WAV files, but that's not possible. You have to have FMOD Designer (free download) and make your own banks from scratch, meaning you need sounds for ALL the weapons, not just the ones you want to modify.

MWO's original source audio files are mostly pitched up from what you hear in game (my guess is they all have pitch processing on them via FMOD) so you'll have to do that manually if, say, you want the reload sounds to be the same as in-game. That's why all the sounds in the All-Systems-Nominal animated videos sound high pitched and dinky, no timestretching or pitching was done.

Extracting MWO's original files isn't hard, just rename the .pak to .rar and explore the contents. Then find a took to open PAK files, (not too hard)

A place to start would be to take a look at this WOT tutorial:
http://forum.worldof...ng-wots-sounds/

Edited by xeromynd, 05 October 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

PGI really should just do a major pass and remodel all of the sound in this game.

It is just CRAP.
It fails for substance and quality.

The autocannons as a whole are particularly bad.

Also, imagine how much more immersive the game would feel with some quality ambient and background sounds that were particular to a map? Perhaps the sound of distant skirmishes, the weather, etc etc

#6 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:06 PM

this video shows me that pgi has done a really good job on weapon sounds in general.
I think most of the vids sounds woud be a downgrade to what we have now.
sure, it woud be different and new but i dont think they woud be an improvement
quality wise.
Feel free to disagree :P

#7 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 05 October 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

Also, imagine how much more immersive the game would feel with some quality ambient and background sounds that were particular to a map?

One would say we should not hear ambiant sound from the cabin, except of course our engine and some weapons... but we hear warhorns.

I won't say everything is crap but I've hear a few I liked more than originals.

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostRhialto, on 05 October 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

One would say we should not hear ambiant sound from the cabin, except of course our engine and some weapons... but we hear warhorns.

We can hear a lot more from our cockpits than just warhorns.

Ambient sound should not drown out weapons fire, war horns, movement of mechs etc etc,, but be something you could hear (might even depend on where on the map you are) when you are not moving or fighting.

#9 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 06 October 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

We can hear a lot more from our cockpits than just warhorns.

Ambient sound should not drown out weapons fire, war horns, movement of mechs etc etc,, but be something you could hear (might even depend on where on the map you are) when you are not moving or fighting.

Anything external would/should sound muffled but mech movement being in the chassis are logically louder. Since it's a game it's made to be fun, not totally real I've been told when I asked why a light 169 Km/h Locust can enter water like if it was air. I would have preferred more real physics here so a Locust and other light would avoid water.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users