15 replies to this topic

#1 ArchRakshasa

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

Time to educate the masses. Most posts are on the weapon types but very little is discussed about the other equipment that is available and that may benifit a Lance as a whole. This equipment can mean the difference in a battle and while people are trying to get the biggest and baddest guns attached to there mech. The people that work as a team will prevail.

TAG Laser (Target Acquisition Gear) is a weapon designed to mark targets for friendly guided missiles. All guided and semi-guided missiles will direct towards the target (that is: LRMs, Arrow4s, SSRMs and Tbolts). When using the TAG laser other players see an indicator on their radar and map.

When guided missiles are dumbfired they will go towards nearest TAG target. The TAG laser's operator has to hold the beam exactly at the target - missiles will head to wherever it is pointing, and if the operator is not careful they can hit allies or the ground. When dumbfiring SSRMs towards a TAG target be careful to watch the distance to the target as the missiles will explode after flying 300 meters, making it difficult to hit the target if it is behind a large obstacle.

Look for more Systems 101 Posts.

#2 Ganthrinor

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I thought it was Smart Missiles that were TAG-Compatible, and the NARC Missile Beacon gave Homing and non-homing Missiles Lock-on capability?

Edited by Ganthrinor, 18 July 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#3 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

ArchRakshasa - are you just going off TT rules / info, or is this stuff verified to act *in this manner* in MW:O? I know a lot of gear like AMS, NARC, etc was said to be planned by the Devs, but we haven't seen any of it in screenshots / videos yet (that I am aware of). It is possible that, for balance reasons, some may not be included in MW:O or may function differently from the TT.

#4 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm not sure where he's getting his info from, but it's not tabletop. There, TAG systems only attract semi-guided missiles (and Arrow IV artillery, but that's not part of MWO), meaning that just like all other missile guidance systems, the LRM platform needs to have special ammunition loaded. Regular LRMs, Thunderbolt missiles or SRMs of any kind will not benefit from the system. Also, there's no such thing as dumbfiring.

So either he's breaking the NDA, or he's "educating the masses" with completely made-up stuff.

#5 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostDer Zivilist, on 18 July 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

I'm not sure where he's getting his info from, but it's not tabletop. There, TAG systems only attract semi-guided missiles (and Arrow IV artillery, but that's not part of MWO), meaning that just like all other missile guidance systems, the LRM platform needs to have special ammunition loaded. Regular LRMs, Thunderbolt missiles or SRMs of any kind will not benefit from the system. Also, there's no such thing as dumbfiring.

So either he's breaking the NDA, or he's "educating the masses" with completely made-up stuff.

I wonder if it is from a previous MW video game, then? I do seem to recall TAG in either MW3 or MW4 - but it has been too long for me to remember details. Or, as you stated, it could be breaking NDA... or maybe pulling in from another mistaken source?

Also, as an aside, if they do implement TAG I am curious whether it will be considered an 'energy weapon' and subject to hardpoint restrictions, or if it will be equipment like a heatsink that can go anywhere - or maybe something different, like the 'modules' the Devs have mentioned in the past. I guess we'll have to wait and see :P

#6 Ganthrinor

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

TAG would fall into Equipment. An Infrared Laser generates insignificant heat compared to weaponized lasers of the caliber seen on 'Mechs.

#7 ArchRakshasa

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Information is pulled off previous MW releases it may or may not have any direct bearing on how they work the MWO system however if they base any of the systems off it predecessors it should be pretty close.

Eitherway, the chat forums are directed into new topics... that was my intentions

Edited by ArchRakshasa, 18 July 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#8 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Then please please provide a disclaimer. You make it sound like this is exactly how it will work in MWO, which is simply false information.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Sounds like MWLL info as opposed to TT, and obviously no official information exists to support NARC or TAG or whatever else is in-game yet

#10 bpphantom

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanukistan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 July 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Sounds like MWLL info as opposed to TT, and obviously no official information exists to support NARC or TAG or whatever else is in-game yet

It is a cut/paste from the MWLL wiki.

#11 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Why would you educate the masses on information not even related or verifiable to even be in this game?

#12 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostWardenWolf, on 18 July 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

ArchRakshasa - are you just going off TT rules / info, or is this stuff verified to act *in this manner* in MW:O? I know a lot of gear like AMS, NARC, etc was said to be planned by the Devs, but we haven't seen any of it in screenshots / videos yet (that I am aware of). It is possible that, for balance reasons, some may not be included in MW:O or may function differently from the TT.

Actually it looks like the AMS is in http://mwomercs.com/...deo/HsOgoNr2OQw 1:01 of the frozen map reveal..the Atlas that is targeted has an Anti Missile System......Wish I could of seen the gauss rifle of the Atlas fire, I am curious as to how fast the shot travels in MWO :)

I think in a real time game I would like a NARC more than a TAG anyway, since NARC is fire and forget. :)

Edited by Shadowscythe, 18 July 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#13 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 18 July 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

"Ask the Devs 1 - Answer!" confirms that both Narc and TAG (and a host of other things) will be in MWO.
"Ask the Devs 10 - Answers!" confirms that alternate munitions will be in MWO.

I don't know of any specific statements from the Devs stating that certain munitions will or will not work with certain systems (which touches on the subject of another thread), but the foundation is there.

View PostShadowscythe, on 18 July 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Actually it looks like the AMS is in http://mwomercs.com/...deo/HsOgoNr2OQw 1:01 of the frozen map reveal..the Atlas that is targeted has an Anti Missile System......Wish I could of seen the gauss rifle of the Atlas fire, I am curious as to how fast the shot travels in MWO :D

I think in a real time game I would like a NARC more than a TAG anyway, since NARC is fire and forget. :D

"MechWarrior Online: Developer Diary 1" shows a Gauss Rifle being fired twice between the 0:46 and 0:56 second marks. and again at the 1:46 second mark. :P

#14 Shadowscythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 484 posts
  • LocationAt home, USA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 18 July 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

"MechWarrior Online: Developer Diary 1" shows a Gauss Rifle being fired twice between the 0:46 and 0:56 second marks. and again at the 1:46 second mark. :P

Thanks, not sure how I missed those :D
Now just need a longer range shot :D like 600m or so :lol:

Edited by Shadowscythe, 19 July 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#15 Hippy

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

Just load in NARC if you want your support lancemates to like you. Plus you can fire and forget and get the hell out of range. :P

#16 Sighard Aglachad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

MW:LL is not official and even it was they could still change the way TAG works for MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users