110 replies to this topic

#1 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

OK I know the event is over but seriously, just came out of a drop and checked the queues available to Ghost Bear. There was 3 players spread across two planets, yes THREE...... I just, I, well.....erm, words escape me.

Was the event that painful for everyone?

#2 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

But but but ... people are burned out playing the same game over and over and they'd rather play ... the same quick play matches ... over and over ...

#3 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

No point to the mode, so it's just a longer-winded version of QP.

Couple that with the long wait times for matches (even when there was a CW event going on) and it's simply not attractive to most people.

#4 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Shallow game play ... no great rewards ... no real loyalist rewards long wait times ...without an event FP will largely be dead til the next event.

Tweet Russ that you want deeper game play or much faster queue times. It has to be one or the other. Til then ... I miss the hate Kurita had for its five enemies back in CW #1.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

Event burnout is some.

Announcement of upcoming changes is another.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

New mech means everyone flocking to QP to level?

#7 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

Soooo, let me get this straight.

The insta-drops I was getting for the last two weeks were long wait times? The 99/99+ on multiple planets was due solely to the event and now that it is over there is nothing to do?

It is far more entertaining to do play the same QP maps every 3-7 minutes than getting 20-25 minute long fights on the same map (if the team can work together and put up a decent fight)?

Or is just that the player base that is left is too lazy to put in that effort and prefer to play throw away matches in QP over and over?

#8 Mordale

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,008 posts
  • Locationon some backwater rock of a planet

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

No,...you just drank all the Beer. You killed the Party!!! Posted Image

#9 JasonIIC

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

I blame America... I mean, seriously, salaried labor is like indentured servitude. I'll be back on when I get a day off, or earlier if this lotto thing works out.

#10 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostMordale, on 20 September 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

No,...you just drank all the Beer. You killed the Party!!! Posted Image

I don't drink beer Mord' you know it's only single malt for a man of my stature and taste? :P

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostxX PUG Xx, on 20 September 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

The insta-drops I was getting for the last two weeks were long wait times? The 99/99+ on multiple planets was due solely to the event and now that it is over there is nothing to do?

Yes. The gamer/try-hard folks want fast matches to maximize rewards, stats and e-peen. The lore-nerds want a deep immersive BT style experience where community "means" something. Without an event CW...excuse, me...FP offers neither of these groups any reason to play.

Edit: Speaking as a lore-nerd who likes the community aspect, it was nice to see a lot of old CW expats playing again. It was a fun event. It really is too bad that an event is what it takes to draw folks to the mode. Alas.

Edited by Bud Crue, 20 September 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#12 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 20 September 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

Yes. The gamer/try-hard folks want fast matches to maximize rewards, stats and e-peen. The lore-nerds want a deep immersive BT style experience where community "means" something. Without an event CW...excuse, me...FP offers neither of these groups any reason to play.

Not sure which group I fit into, must be the masochistic one where I prefer longer games ;)

It must be why I really enjoyed Battlefield and the conquest/rush game types, especially on the custom servers where matches could last up to an hour of constant fighting.

#13 ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

Well, I uninstalled the game 2 days into the event. I may check out MWO again if the game gets some depth beyond where it has been for 2 years. In the mean time, I have better games to play and more fun things to do than grind, stomp, or get rolled for no reason. 07

#14 Alpha087

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

It is far more entertaining to do play the same QP maps every 3-7 minutes than getting 20-25 minute long fights on the same map (if the team can work together and put up a decent fight)?

Or is just that the player base that is left is too lazy to put in that effort and prefer to play throw away matches in QP over and over?

What was insta-queue and fun fights for you was a grueling grind though endless masses of Kodiaks for us on the other side. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to bother with FP.

#15 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

That's your experience. Not even remotely mine, or the majority of the players on my team. So, apparently we didn't pick the right faction, at the right time etc, to enjoy the near constant FP experience you had. When I was playing (NA primetime), the largest planetary lane I remember seeing was 49/36. That's it. And when I plopped down on the planet to get a match, I gave up out of boredom after about 20 minutes of just sitting in lobby while I read a BT novel.

Again, Crock had it right. Lack of depth/immersion and obviously not some instant gratification via wait times save for folks like you apparently. The mode isn't going to attract people, especially those not motivated to go there without an event driving them, with that going on. Simple as that.

#16 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

It is pretty clear that every end of CW event the CW largely dies. It has been that way for quite a while now. I wish it wasn't so but it is what it is.

#17 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:00 PM

The mode isn't attractive enough on its own, as it currently stands, to be a draw.

#18 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostAlpha087, on 20 September 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

What was insta-queue and fun fights for you was a grueling grind though endless masses of Kodiaks for us on the other side. I can't blame anyone for not wanting to bother with FP.

Not to be mean but bringing LRMs to FP is going to fail against clans. Davions have a tendency to bring more lrms than the average Faction from my observation.

#19 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostCrockdaddy, on 20 September 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

Shallow game play ... no great rewards ... no real loyalist rewards long wait times ...without an event FP will largely be dead til the next event.

Tweet Russ that you want deeper game play or much faster queue times. It has to be one or the other. Til then ... I miss the hate Kurita had for its five enemies back in CW #1.

I've been playing Ark on the new Center map for a couple of weeks and was starting to get a little stale. I play SP with difficulty up, except gather rate which is at 3x cuz slow gather sucks.

I'd wandered much of the map as I could safely, I tamed a ptero and tried to make a base on the floating island but it's a hassle and there was a level 135 Alpha Rex there and... yeah. That's his house.

So I'd tried to explore the Redwoods but dem ******' Terror Birds. However since then I had found some good gear in the caves, rifle and tranqs and I've leveled speed to 140 so I'm up for the hustle. I spent a while stealing carno eggs on the Lava island for giggles while farming obsidian and had 9 kibble and a bunch of prime jerky, so I thought wtf. I'll go try to tame a Dire bear, everyone said they were awesome. I make a saddle for one, gear up and trek off.

I boat down because I don't have any tames who'd live long there and my ptero died when my island base got overrun. I sprint inland to the hollow trees for cover from Dem Birds. I spend hours cautiously enduring, finding cool little caves and amazing vistas. It's way more dangerous than I expected, I'm finding no bears and I'm quickly wearing out that Masterwork Pike that's keeping me alive vs Dem Birds. I start using up my tranq rounds since I brought 50. Finally decide even if I find a bear I wouldn't survive the tame attempt so I try to get out.

I try to tame a couple carnos I tranqed but Dem Birds killed them. Night time, thunder storm, I can't find my f***ing raft and the coast is a swarm of Birds and carnos so in the pitch black I try to get to a fallen tree to hide until dawn.

Pitch black, illuminated by lightning I literally run right into my first Dire Bear. He's level 150 and HUGE. He is not impressed by me. I lead him on a merry chase, totally ******* lost. We run *under* my first encounter with a Titanosaurus. It's a total rush. I pop the bear in the face, he nearly kills me. I parkour onto a rock, shoot him and he runs off. Now I have to chase him down. He gets stuck in a corner between rocks and a tree and I down him with my last tranq. I barely survive the train of Birds we'd picked up and I go load him up with a little kibble and prime jerky...

And realize I'd brought no narco.

So what follows is a RL day and a half of scrambling around to get narco berries to feed him, building barricades to keep him alive. I build a 4x4 to put a bed and mortar in while running around. If I die I'll respawn there but whatever kills me will almost certainly kill my sleeping furry friend before he knows he loves me for beating and drugging him then force-feeding him.... cuz that's what love is.

My pike breaks and I'm crafting stone spears. My sweet purple chitin armor breaks, I craft hide and stick to kiting things back around a barricade trap and throwing spears.

I stayed up most the night, often two harsh words from death, countless near death events, rushing a scorpion before he gets to the bear, etc.

A near perfect tame. Level 209, Teddy Wreckspin is my OTP. I saddle him up and... we go on a mother f***ing rampage. Like a locomotive of hate he takes me all over the map to places I'd never been, we drop into a cave and kill bugs in vast hordes - he'd swipe a paw and kill notices would scroll to the bottom of the screen. Like 20 levels of badass Bear Beatdowns I've loaded up supplies to make a stone 3x3 and crafting structures in the middle of the Bridge, under a redwood with an amazing view. Maybe I'll build a platform for an up top view some day.

Why the Cool Story Bro wall of text about another game?

It's an open world grind game. There's no story missions involved, no fetch quests, hell it was SP, not even MP. However because they put a modicum of *depth* into the design, a sense of purpose and the ability to create real challenges for yourself it's orders of magnitude more fun.

That is what FW was supposed to be. A framework of depth, options, risks and rewards that would let us create our own gameplay fun. I'm not talking about Witcher 3 in Robbits. Nobody is going to call Ark SP "deep".

At this point though PGI is unwilling to make MWO more complex than "pointless grind for cbills". I'm not sure how to lower my expectations enough to not be disappointed with the results.

Edited by MischiefSC, 20 September 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#20 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Welcome to the day after an FP/CW/FW event.

The burnout is real. You think people keep repeating these things are just random passerbys hoping that FW dies a horrible death (well, there can be some exceptions there)?

There's a reason why any sort of FW/CW/FP diatribe is long. It doesn't encompass enough about the faults/problems/errors made in the designs... and we allow PGI "continue on" this charade indefinitely while posting "temporary fixes" and not long term solutions that analyze that inherently obvious problems of the mode.

But hey... you're surprised right? Check out what happens after the next FW event. I'm sure this is just a coincidence... yes?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users