13 replies to this topic

#1 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

So I just got the Warthog Hotas (Joystick and throttle) as well as the thrustmaster flight pedals. I am fully aware that it is much harder to play this way, but I would really appreciate some help with button map lay out suggestions and some tips on how to get it working as painlessly as possible. I've got the TARGET program as well, just would like some direction rather than becoming an expert and reading every manual through and through. Thanks in advance.

#2 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

Button layouts are so personal making a recommendation for them is very difficult. Also, I really recommend taking full advantage of what the TARGET and FAST scripting software have to offer. At the very least, you will need either to use the switches and buttons found on the base of the throttle. They will not be recognized directly by MWO or any other game for that matter.

Having said all of that, I will make a few suggestions:
  • Use the slew control button on the throttle for jump jets.
  • Use TG1 on the joystick for your primary weapon.
  • Use TG2 for alpha strikes (need to assign it the "\" key in TARGET as you cannot directly assign TG2 in MWO's settings) .
For the pedals, use one for centering torso to legs and the other for centering legs to torso. Again, you need TARGET for that.

Finally, we come to the joystick. Joystick support in MWO sucks. As such, this will be difficult. This will be painful. This will be frustrating more often that not. Proceed at your own risk to your sanity. You will need to be very good with TARGET and the FAST scripting program to get anywhere. You have been warned. Posted Image

Having said that, missiles will relatively be the easiest to use. Next will be PPCs, IS Autocannons, and LBXs. The most difficult will be lasers and gauss rifles.

So let's begin ...

If your reflexes are up to the task, you can use the default joystick mode and use TARGET to set your desired curves. Alternatively, use TARGET to configure the stick to use mouse emulation. This will be more precise. But either way, you will also need to dial down sensitivity as low as possible in MWO and slightly reduce the curve scale in TARGET.

Also, I should note that there is a problem with mouse emulation. Configuring the stick throws to correspond to a Mech's torso twist and elevation angles will need to be done on a Mech-by-Mech basis. A better and much more advanced method is to use the scripting software and configure some kind of dual mode for the joystick, one for aiming and another for torso twisting. I myself use both mouse emulation and regular joystick mode as follows:
  • Set 0-80% throw to use mouse emulation. Use this for aiming.
  • Set throw above 80% to use default joystick mode. Use this to move the torso.
  • Optionally set up a dead zone between the aiming and twisting modes. For example:
    • < 80% throw --> aiming
    • 80-90% throw --> dead zone
    • > 90% throw --> twisting
The throw numbers I gave above are what I use. You might need to set yours differently depending on your comfort level with the stick tension.

I recommend using this advanced method only after you have become very familiar with the stick.

Enjoy.

Edited by Mystere, 22 September 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#3 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

I appreciate all the tips. I"ll try them out first chance I get. I just have to figure out how to use TARGET UI and hopefully I'll be able to finally use this whole set up. Are there any other posts/threads that you could link me to for gross/fine tuning any issue that may come up?

#4 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

The only other piece of advice I can give is to start small, have a lot of patience, and practice, practice, and practice some more.

Also, for very interesting reading start with this.

#5 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

I have made quite a bit of progress with the joystick but I am struggling painfully with the throttle. I can't get the levers to work correctly and almost none of the toggles, even the china hat and the toggle above that. Can you suggest a start point for where to learn how to set it up?

#6 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 22 September 2016 - 07:27 PM, said:

I have made quite a bit of progress with the joystick but I am struggling painfully with the throttle. I can't get the levers to work correctly and almost none of the toggles, even the china hat and the toggle above that. Can you suggest a start point for where to learn how to set it up?

Which levers are you referring to, the main dual-stick throttle or the grey slider on the right side of the base? If the former, just assign THRRIGHT to use DX_THROTTLE_AXIS, assign THRLEFT to use NONE, use the default curve, and let MWO detect it. As for the latter, reserve it for some advanced function in the future.

As for the toggle switches and buttons on the throttle base and some on the throttle itself, they need to be set up via TARGET. The simplest is to assign keystrokes to them.

#7 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

That solved my throttle issue and alleviated a lot of my irritation! I'm saving the resolution of the pedals and joystick sensitivity for tomorrow ( I'm thinking to use them as left, right, and maybe even jump). You weren't kidding about the button layout being highly personal. After testing the joystick with just 2 different mechs I noticed how much I started rethinking button locations. I think its going to be a good week before I really settle. With my tendency to divide my weapon groups by side of the mech, I may even shift some firing buttons to the throttle hand to alleviate the awkward right hand reach

#8 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

I know there is going to be a simple answer to this, but how do you calibrate the pedals? I've got the Thrustmaster TRFP pedals if that makes a difference. So far, the only results I've achieved are spinning in a circle or just being able to turn for a fraction of a second.

#9 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 26 September 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

I know there is going to be a simple answer to this, but how do you calibrate the pedals? I've got the Thrustmaster TRFP pedals if that makes a difference. So far, the only results I've achieved are spinning in a circle or just being able to turn for a fraction of a second.

Download the calibration software from the Thrustmaster site if you have not already done so. After calibration, the pedals should work directly in MWO without using the TARGET software.

#10 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:07 PM

I installed the TFRP drivers and it hasn't made any difference . They don't work either with or without target, I just end up spinning.

#11 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:15 AM

Here are a few quick checks (as enumerated in the manual that came with the pedal):
  • Did you set the RJ12/USB adapter that came with the pedals to "Airplane" mode?
  • Did you use the Thrustmaster supplied calibration tool?
  • Did you test the pedals using the Thrustmaster Control Panel?
If none of that works, you may have a defective device.

#12 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

what are you trying to do with the rudders? look for the word 'analog' for their setting in game.i use a T16000M joystick and the tflightx hotas myself.i think my Z axis (torso) is set to rudder tho they are on the hotas not foot pedals.

Edited by Gorantir, 02 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#13 nimrodusmaximus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

I used to use the Warthog Hotas with pedals and mouse last time i was playing this (a while back), but now my Warthog Hotas isn't recognized and doesn't work at all.

The game does recognize my CH Throttle, but the throttle doesn't give me full speed when it's all the way forward.

Not sure if MWO did something with their control setup, but, yeah, playing with a throttle/hotas seems ALOT easier than setting speeds, etc. via keyboard.

OTOH, my experience with the joystick was less than ideal and I use a mouse for aiming...

Any help on getting the Warthog Hotas to work would be really appreciated - as stated previously, it use to work no problem so I'm not sure what's changed...? Maybe there's some box I haven't checked...?

thanks!

#14 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:12 PM

View Postnimrodusmaximus, on 02 October 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I used to use the Warthog Hotas with pedals and mouse last time i was playing this (a while back), but now my Warthog Hotas isn't recognized and doesn't work at all.

The game does recognize my CH Throttle, but the throttle doesn't give me full speed when it's all the way forward.

Not sure if MWO did something with their control setup, but, yeah, playing with a throttle/hotas seems ALOT easier than setting speeds, etc. via keyboard.

OTOH, my experience with the joystick was less than ideal and I use a mouse for aiming...

Any help on getting the Warthog Hotas to work would be really appreciated - as stated previously, it use to work no problem so I'm not sure what's changed...? Maybe there's some box I haven't checked...?

thanks!

Is Windows detecting your HOTAS (i.e. Control Panel >> Devices and Printers)? That's the first test I would recommend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users