37 replies to this topic

#1 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

I don't expect the Night Gyr to be a tough mech like the Marauder or something, but it's just a little to fragile to feel like you are piloting a heavy mech. Hit boxes too large it seems since they take more damage on glancing shots that don't do much to other mechs.

Also, I don't like the chassis lock on the Night Gyr's quirks. It's an omnimech and what you do in Mechlab is switch omnipods instead of armor and structure types, dynamic criticals, removing jump-jets, engines, heatsinks. It would be the same if you removed the quirks from standard mechs for changing the heatsink type or structure type. It's an omnimech, so you switch omnipods and that's what Mechlab is for.

Also the way you balanced Clan omnimechs was to not give everyone of them an AMS slot. Usually only one or two come with AMS and you usually trade other hardpoints to get the AMS. But on the Night Gyr to get AMS you lose all it's quirks. That's not balanced.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Welcome to the humanoid mechs issues. The good thing about the NG through is that it is using a cXL so it does NOT die to the loss of one side torso.

#3 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

No, it has nothing to do with having a clan xl engine so don't detract from the issue at hand.
There is something seriously off with how quickly the gyr's armor is cored particularly the center torso.

#4 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

Night Gyr also seems to run hot on every map instead of cool on every map. Even from just 3 medium lasers and no extra heatsinks it overheats. Is that working right? Seems like 12 double heatsinks would handle 3 medium lasers.

#5 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:00 AM

I think the heat works as it should, ist is hot but there is no space for many DHS...
Yes it does die rather quickly but maybe that is to be expected for that much firepower...

But the Quirk-Set-Bonus is absolutely stupid... exchanging omnipods should never make a mech worse... it just feels wrong.
And build options are already extremely limited on this chassis, due to way too few critslots for the availlable podspace!

#6 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:12 AM

Also keep in mind the heavy queue is much large than normal, more heavies means more firepower on the field!

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:19 AM

I do not have one, but as a target it pretty much feels like a clan version of the Black Knight.
Strong punch but a little less defensive power.
Its not so unreasonably strong as the Marauder or Timby was at their starts but it neither has the destinct suction the Black Knight had after release (terribly broken CT Hitbox that was automaticly hit 120° from either side)

#8 Fake News

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

welcome to ebon jag v2.0

#9 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

If I rank 172nd with the Jade Kite, this mech has serious problems. Most of my games with the Night Gyr are losses and playing peek-a-boo because the mech gets ripped so fast. The wins are where no one shoots it.

#10 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:13 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 23 September 2016 - 03:18 PM, said:

If I rank 172nd with the Jade Kite, this mech has serious problems. Most of my games with the Night Gyr are losses and playing peek-a-boo because the mech gets ripped so fast. The wins are where no one shoots it.

Having looked at your overall quickplay and faction leaderboard stats, most of your games have been losses even before the night gyr became available. Thus I fail to see why that position on the night gyr leaderboard has anything at all to do with any faults in the mech in question. I'm 89th on the Prime board and 134th on the Jade Kite board. My prime's score total would be good enough for 55th on the JK board.

Edited by Dee Eight, 23 September 2016 - 11:15 PM.

#11 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:37 AM

I agree with dee eight can we avoid having the discussion spiral into a comparison of player stats. TBH the disparity is due to the low numbers of gyr owners, hence the pairing with heavies for the event. My two cents.

#12 unwary

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Night Gyr is fine for me. Roughly doing 30% more dmg in it compared to the Timby. Close to about 1000dmg per wave in cw. But slow speed makes it hard to escape bad positioning.

#13 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 22 September 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

Welcome to the humanoid mechs issues.

uh, what.... It's very well balanced BECAUSE it is humanoid. Humanoid hitboxes allow mechs to roll damage better. It's also a 75 tonner, and with it the most armor available for a heavy mech minus quirks.

IMO it's one of the LEAST squishy mechs in the game right now. Especially for the firepower you can defend yourself with. Any 'evidence' to the contrary I would first ask: do you use cover adequately? do you torso twist against high-alpha enemy mechs? so you let yourself get whittled down before primary combat? do you let yourself get caught in an out-numbered scenario because you over-extended on a flank?

#14 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:06 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 23 September 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

Having looked at your overall quickplay and faction leaderboard stats, most of your games have been losses even before the night gyr became available. Thus I fail to see why that position on the night gyr leaderboard has anything at all to do with any faults in the mech in question. I'm 89th on the Prime board and 134th on the Jade Kite board. My prime's score total would be good enough for 55th on the JK board.

I have positive stats overall. I only play in PUGs though at the moment. My faction play is almost all from 2014 and early 2015. Too many nerfs to the mechs I used in faction play in pick-up teams vs the 12 mans. MWO became just laser-brawl in Jan 2015 and so I left faction play which requires a lot more tactics than are offered by laser-brawl.

You can't control a PUG, sometimes you can carry the team though. All 'Mechs should have that much capability. My best mech over a very long period is likely the Protector 1.73 W/L, 1.74 K/D. In the Mauler I have a 5.67 K/D, maybe I should stick with that, but I have always liked trying to make bad mechs work starting with the original Awesome.

Night Gyr for me is like .60 W/L, .61 K/D over 50 games. When it gets hit from 700 meters by ER lasers while moving laterally the armor turns orange so it's hit-boxes are way too large. When I torso-twist to protect the CT the arms and side torsos get blown off in seconds usually, so obviously no shots are missing the hit-boxes. Offensively the Night Gyr is very good so I do not expect it to ever be tough, but it's too fragile right now. Is not tough enough to be a heavy mech.

#15 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thus far with the mech (all variants) and lots of weapon/loadout experimentation its 134 total games with 63 wins and 71 losses making it a 0.887 W/L ratio. 60 kills and 111 deaths for a 0.54 K/D ratio. Room for improvement but reasonable to me for brand new mechs I haven't clicked with yet. A lot of these leaderboards with new mechs still being skilled comes down to the opposition too. They sorta have to cooperate in letting you kill them for you to produce good numbers. My routine for leaderboards is since the formula counts the ten best games, I stick to one mech variant/model until I have ten wins, then move on to the next one. If I have results worth making an effort to improve a leaderboard position reasonably I will go back to those mechs later if time allows at the end of the event.

My best mech platform by numbers is actually the cheetah since I love to flank (and so many others neglect to watch their flanks) with 94 total games of which 54 were wins to 40 losses gives an overall 1.35 W/L ratio, 60 kills to 68 deaths for 0.88 K/D ratio. I play an aggresive style. I am not one for camper/poking and sacrificing teammates so that I can vulture kills and survive to the end.

Over now 6,943 games its 3,234 wins to 3,709 losses for an overall 0.87 W/L ratio. My K/D ratio over those games is 0.69 with 3978 kills and 5804 deaths. So the night gyr compared to my overall is above the curve in the W/L ratio and below it on the K/D ratio.

Edited by Dee Eight, 24 September 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#16 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

Wait, I thought we were talking about how fragile /slow the night gyr is, when did it devolve into a **** measuring contest?

#17 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:13 AM

Its neither slow nor fragile. Its right where a 75 ton clan mech should be. That said, if they gave it the same structure quirks as an Orion IIC, I would not complain.

#18 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:37 AM

learn to torso twist

#19 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:05 AM

View PostKurbeks, on 25 September 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

learn to torso twist

I learned Torso-Twist in MechWarrior 2 and it was the only way to win a match in MW4.

Sorry for the stats comparison, I realize that is of no real value since mechs usually do not evenly match-up. I am still going to complain that on incidental grazing hits that barely impact other mechs, the Night Gyr gets orange armor values. That means it's hit-boxes are way too big and it takes immensely more damage. Too much for a Heavy and it's also taking Assault level damage from LRMs with only Heavy armor values to absorb the damage.

I can see it is a powerful offensive mech, but I am running almost the same load-out on my Cyclops (ST Engine) and Warhammers (ST Engine), the Night Gyr gets 3 medium pulse in place of 3-4 standard medium lasers. All three do 69.7 kph with the IS mechs running much cooler.

Edited by Lightfoot, 25 September 2016 - 04:47 AM.

#20 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:14 AM

Sounds like Kodiak whiners who said it's now crap after 4xUAC10 get fixed. Poor plp can't play with tier 1 mech. Looks same here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users