31 replies to this topic

#1 ArchRakshasa

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

ECM is the generic acronym for Electronic Counter Measures. this is depicted by helping to reduces the equipped unit's radar signature. However in times of extreme heat gain this may be rendered inadequate, might as well end up putting a signal flare above your head.

Guardian Electronic CounterMeasure Suite, or GECM, is an advanced electronic warfare suite that can be used to reduce the range at which enemy units can detect you on Radar, and can be mounted on both Mechs and Vehicles. This effect is represented by a unit's radar signature being reduced by 500 meters.

The following is a newer form of ECM which I doubt very much will be employed at the moment but the potential for it is great in the future. The only draw back is tthe fact that the Lance will have to be grouped together to benifit from it making them a larger target once spotted. In times of war, being too close together is like painting a bullseye on you backside. Too spread out, gets you cut off from the rest of your Lance. Good Luck seeking balance.

AECM, or Angel ECM, is an experimental updated version of the Guardian ECM (GECM) Suite, and greatly advances ECM technology on the battlefield. Rather then making the user harder to detect on Radar, the AECM creates a 300m "umbrella" of signal distortion that makes all friendly units in range harder to detect by reducing their radar detection range by 700m.

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thats not a 101.

#3 Aeryk Corsaer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Question is, is it that identical and simple in its function within the MWO battlefield?

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Guardian ECM also disrupts NARC and Artemis systems, preventing them from affecting allied units within 180 meters.

It also jams C3 systems, but those won't be available for a while.

#5 bpphantom

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanukistan

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostAeryk Corsaer, on 18 July 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

Question is, is it that identical and simple in its function within the MWO battlefield?

It doesn't match the TT, and if it's how it works in MWO then he's breaking the NDA. Cease in either case.

#6 ArchRakshasa

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Information given is based on prior MW releases, information is pure speculation on what they may or might not do in the MWO release. The posting is to give insight into other avenues rather than selecting whats the biggest gun. Either way, for those that know nothing about Mechwarrior it will give them an idea of what were talking about when we throw out our acronyms.

#7 Der Zivilist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

What you really mean is: Information is NOT based on prior MW releases, but rather copy&pasted directly from the MechWarrior Living Legends wiki.

Do everyone on these forums a favor and don't make an even bigger fool of yourself by continuing to make more threads. Just stop posting.

#8 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

View PostArchRakshasa, on 18 July 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Information given is based on prior MW releases, information is pure speculation on what they may or might not do in the MWO release. The posting is to give insight into other avenues rather than selecting whats the biggest gun. Either way, for those that know nothing about Mechwarrior it will give them an idea of what were talking about when we throw out our acronyms.

For those that know nothing about Mechwarrior, it will give them the WRONG idea. The crucial function of Guardian ECM's is that they cut down in rather specific ways on the LRM spam that you receive from supporting enemy units. You omitted that. Post therefore is less useful than saying nothing.

#10 icervoid

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

for example if ECM shortens enemy radar range with 700 m then enemy LRM will be fired towards you from a distance smaller with 700 m

Edited by icervoid, 20 November 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#11 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

*golfclap*

Unfortunately, the OP is....busy giving info for the wrong game.

Sorry, in this case your "ECM 101" is like trying to apply WoW stats to something from D&D Online.

#12 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

So ECM will only be applied to a handful of mechs. Will those mechs be required t have it in a specific part of the body? Such as AMS having a hardpoint.

#13 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

More importantly, MWO won't have ECM, it will have Magic Missile Invisibility Cloak.

#14 Cannibal Cat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I just had my first encounter with ECM mechs in game.
It made targeting mechs within range of the ECM impossible with my LRM's, even when the mechs are only a few hundred meters away they still won't acquire a targeting reticle or IFF triangle (which I guess by default means they're hostile).
Good way to nullify those Catapults and other LRM mechs.

In fact if anything, it seems a little too unbalancing, but then as I tend to favor LRM's, I may be biased.

#15 Nikohki

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

And I just had my first battle with ECM on my DC atlas. It definitely gave me and the mechs around me lrm protection. Unless someone tags a mech under the umbrella, or counter ecm's, it definitely puts a dampler on those annoying cats. :) Especially gunho streakers.

On a side note, the threat of metal rain and protection from it really helps to corral pug teammates, because the ones who wander end up getting all the attention. :)

Edited by Nikohki, 04 December 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#16 CRF Hawkeye

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNetherlands, Europe

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostCannibal Cat, on 04 December 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I just had my first encounter with ECM mechs in game.
It made targeting mechs within range of the ECM impossible with my LRM's, even when the mechs are only a few hundred meters away they still won't acquire a targeting reticle or IFF triangle (which I guess by default means they're hostile).
Good way to nullify those Catapults and other LRM mechs.

In fact if anything, it seems a little too unbalancing, but then as I tend to favor LRM's, I may be biased.

I play LRM's all the time, got a catapult CPLT-C4 just for this, beagle active probe and artemis,.. i don't have a problem with ecm's,.. when a mech is close with one i cant target anything,.. when they are not i can,.. even that mech ! altough lockon-time is worse i can lock on!! ecm's are in my opinion not overpowerd just to mutch mech's are carrying one,.. they could be more expensive or heavy so not so mutch players carry them,. then again maybey to mutch players start to play catapults with LRM's what also is quit overpowerend at distance,.. no,.. every tool needs it counterpart to balance,.. my biggest problem?,.. those damm small fast mechs,.. im big and powerfull but SLOW, in movement and turn so i dont care if that small mech carrying an ecm,.. got bigger problems with that dan i have with the fact i cant target far away mechs,.. those bee-stings hurt, and usely make me beg and please for team-mate assistance !

Edited by CRF Hawkeye, 11 December 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#17 HC Harlequin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 655 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...02#entry1589202

#18 Old Mechdonald

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Base race over and over. Where's MWO? It was so good there for awhile.
I don't want to play who can get the most tonnage to the enemy's base first.
That's endless ennui... why play anymore.

Edited by Old Mechdonald, 14 December 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#19 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I was expecting like a "ECM 101, how to counter" And instead I got a Sarna.net copy paste...disappointment is thick.

#20 Arclight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Well it is a 5 months old post after all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users